PDA

View Full Version : Visiting colleges soon

MGiaquinto64
08-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm going to be visiting a few schools soon, and want to play tennis in college. I doubt I'm good enough to get recruited, but I might have a chance of just walking on. When I visit the college, is it smart to call first and talk to the coach, or just meet him in person first? I've also heard you aren't allowed to hit with him watching, or with any of his team, but that doesn't really make sense. Is that a real rule?

COME ON!
08-18-2008, 06:34 AM
go on the collegesathletic website and you can fill out a recruitment form
if you want to hit in front of him at the actual school you must declare the school as one of your five official visits

OleNole
08-22-2008, 05:29 AM
What's your rank? What section? What schools are you interested in?

ttbrowne
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Another way...there are other respected pros in cities who have connections to university coaches.
They can hit with you for 20 minutes and tell if you are someone who needs to be taken seriously. (Our club pro is a former major college tennis coach.)

Wondertoy
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think you can hit with the coach at the school. He has to see you hit at a tourny or send him a video.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I went to a information "lecture" held during Jr. Regional tournament
A top school coach and a USTA rep were there- Both agreed that, (depending on your school year), you are not supposed to be even USING a school's courts/facilities.
That is getting pretty technical and nit picking. The NCAA rules seem to be pretty harsh and it can easily get prospects who are not in the business (except for themselves) in trouble.

Pusher
09-08-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm going to be visiting a few schools soon, and want to play tennis in college. I doubt I'm good enough to get recruited, but I might have a chance of just walking on. When I visit the college, is it smart to call first and talk to the coach, or just meet him in person first? I've also heard you aren't allowed to hit with him watching, or with any of his team, but that doesn't really make sense. Is that a real rule?

First of all, use your contacts. Does your coach or teaching pro know any college coaches? Have them contact the college coach. Write/E-mail the coach and express your interest-tell him you're willing to walk on. If the coach has an interest in you then go visit. Do it early because many coaches limit the number of freshmen they will bring in-scholarship and walk-on's.

You can watch his team play/practice but if you want the inside scoop talk to one of his players. If he invites you to walk on then sign up with the clearinghouse and you're on your way.

dsa202
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Give up, tennis just isn't your sport.

MGiaquinto64
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone but DSA. But I'm not going to get upset about him, looking at his other posts its pretty clear hes just useless, so I'll leave him alone.

RoddickistheMan
09-10-2008, 05:49 PM
theres only one college u should visit.....U.....C.....LLLLLLL A.

brownbearfalling
10-13-2008, 10:05 AM
if you don't get into a university playing at a community college isn't bad. it is one way to get reputation and improve enough to later play at a university

srv vlly
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
email the coach and have a video ready. it is the most direct way of communicating