PDA

View Full Version : Pros Lowering "Head Lightness"

Amit
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I've been seeing this alot lately. Many people are suggesting that pros put lead tape on their head to acheive weights of 2 points head light, or something along such lines. Doesent that just defeat the purpose of their rackets though? Why not stick with a tweener if your going to lower it that much... I really dont believe this lol do they really do this?

PurePrestige
01-30-2005, 02:45 PM
It would take considerably more lead to make their racquets the weight the like it starting with a different balance racquet because the less headlight the lighter they make stock frames. Lighter frames are too powerful.
I think it works like this, they find a stock stick they like, something like PS 90, Prestige, etc. and from the time when they are juniors till they are pros the add small amounts of lead because as their competition is hitting harder they need more stability. So on a long enough timeline they end up adding alot of weight, mainly to the head of the racquet because that makes the biggest difference for them in stability I guess. Also adding lead allows them to hit harder with their frame without sacrificing the control, doing such things as using a more powerful frame or lowering their string tension to get more power.
So in the end, once they get a sponsorship they would pick which of their frames they like the best (that was customized by themselves) and then they would use that one for matching. Then their racquets from then out would be matched to those specs. Or maybe they match the racquet to the stock specs but closest to the stock specs of their favorite racquet but lighter so they can add a similar amount of lead but have room to match them well.

At Least thats my take on it...

Amit
01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
hmmm so pros play with rackets that are around 5 pts head light and still get the controll eh? do any of you guys play with a stock prestige? Just wondering if its still good because i really liked it.