PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Player's Diet?

nadalfan!
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
What would a tennis players diet consist of? I don't really know why, but I work out and eat a lot but I'm not gaining weight for some reason. So if anyone knows a pro player's diet please post it or the link of where you found it....

cncretecwbo
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
they eat a lot of carbs

the only reason you cant gain is because you dont eat enough. I bet you arent eating as much as you think you do.

any easy trick is to just drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day, you should pack it on in no time.

WildVolley
08-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Tennis players don't need to eat an exceptional amount of carbs. Tennis players need to eat a balanced diet with enough calories and protein to help maintain bodyweight and build muscles. If you aren't gaining weight, then you are probably not eating enough. Make a list of what you're eating and then calculate the total calories over a few days or a week. Add another meal during the day to gain weight.

Tennis isn't particularly an endurance sport like swimming or triathlon. It's a mix of fairly explosive movements followed by repeated periods of rest. Tennis athletes need enough of an endurance base to last 4-hours on court, but they also need the fast-twitch explosiveness of a sprinter or running back.

go13illy
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
they eat a lot of carbs

the only reason you cant gain is because you dont eat enough. I bet you arent eating as much as you think you do.

any easy trick is to just drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day, you should pack it on in no time.

wouldn't you puke it or get diarrhea???

Rickson
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Tennis players eat anything they want.

cncretecwbo
08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
wouldn't you puke it or get diarrhea???

i wouldnt, i cant speak for you or the OP

cncretecwbo
08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Tennis players don't need to eat an exceptional amount of carbs. Tennis players need to eat a balanced diet with enough calories and protein to help maintain bodyweight and build muscles. If you aren't gaining weight, then you are probably not eating enough. Make a list of what you're eating and then calculate the total calories over a few days or a week. Add another meal during the day to gain weight.

Tennis isn't particularly an endurance sport like swimming or triathlon. It's a mix of fairly explosive movements followed by repeated periods of rest. Tennis athletes need enough of an endurance base to last 4-hours on court, but they also need the fast-twitch explosiveness of a sprinter or running back.

maybe its just me, but if im not high enough on carbs i really dont function well on a tennis court.

albino smurf
08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
I try to eat a healthy diet with a lot of proteins and carbs but not in the same meals. Lots of veggies with whichever I am eating plus good multivitamins to keep up the energy levels. Probably at about 4000 calories a day and my weight stays the same. If you want to add some weight I'd recommend a giant peanut butter milkshake with some protein powder for dessert.

mdrew9
08-19-2008, 06:42 AM
I'd stay away from any protein shakes. You need real food. Drinking a gallon of whole milk a day will put weight on you fast and its often a much cheaper calories/$ than chicken breast. You also want to be sure to keep your fats high.

Tuzi87
08-19-2008, 07:15 AM
To pack on muscle, you have to make sure you're doing the basic things:
1. Eat LEAN meat, which is good fat + protein for your body. Good examples are fish, chicken breast, turkey, seafood, etc. My friend's a personal trainer and he eats two cans of tuna and a few eggs everytime he finishes his weights. You don't want to get "big" (it'll slow you on the court), so good protein and fats are the way to go.
2. Good carbs. Stay away from processed stuff if possible, you can get away with a CLiff bar here and there, but a lot of the "bars" are just processed, empty calories that doesn't do anything for your body. Go for things high in grains and fiber for energy. It'll make you less sluggish on the courts and lasts longer.
3. Break your meals into 5 or 6 steady meals a day. This will maintain your metabolism and keep your energy level up for play all day long.

You should be picky about what "kind" of weight that you're packing on. In particular, fat weighs a lot less than muscle, so you might just be developing muscle and burning fat, which would put you in the same weight range.

Don't just eat anything with carbs. You should be picky about what carbs you put into your body. The pro athletes' diet across the specturm consist of high levels of good proteins and healthy carbs; the differences between sports is the variation in % in terms of proteins and carbs.

cncretecwbo
08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
To pack on muscle, you have to make sure you're doing the basic things:
1. Eat LEAN meat, which is good fat + protein for your body. Good examples are fish, chicken breast, turkey, seafood, etc. My friend's a personal trainer and he eats two cans of tuna and a few eggs everytime he finishes his weights. You don't want to get "big" (it'll slow you on the court), so good protein and fats are the way to go.
2. Good carbs. Stay away from processed stuff if possible, you can get away with a CLiff bar here and there, but a lot of the "bars" are just processed, empty calories that doesn't do anything for your body. Go for things high in grains and fiber for energy. It'll make you less sluggish on the courts and lasts longer.
3. Break your meals into 5 or 6 steady meals a day. This will maintain your metabolism and keep your energy level up for play all day long.

You should be picky about what "kind" of weight that you're packing on. In particular, fat weighs a lot less than muscle, so you might just be developing muscle and burning fat, which would put you in the same weight range.

Don't just eat anything with carbs. You should be picky about what carbs you put into your body. The pro athletes' diet across the specturm consist of high levels of good proteins and healthy carbs; the differences between sports is the variation in % in terms of proteins and carbs.

a. you need carbs after a game, match or workout
b. the bolded part is incorrect, more meals has a negligible affect on metabolism

nadalfan!
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, so far I have been going to a website called fitday.com and it shows what your doing right and wrong with graphs,etc.... And I figured out that I was short of my calories that I need to maintain my weight. And I don't think I should drink a gallon of milk every day as I am only 14 (15 this weekend :D) so I have been getting help from that website but I am apparently not eating enough protein and a bit too much fats. I should be good with a consistent diet soon though. Experimenting! :D

cncretecwbo
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, so far I have been going to a website called fitday.com and it shows what your doing right and wrong with graphs,etc.... And I figured out that I was short of my calories that I need to maintain my weight. And I don't think I should drink a gallon of milk every day as I am only 14 (15 this weekend :D) so I have been getting help from that website but I am apparently not eating enough protein and a bit too much fats. I should be good with a consistent diet soon though. Experimenting! :D

no one is forcing you to drink it, it wouldnt hurt you though, if thats what yore worried about.

0range
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
What would a tennis players diet consist of? I don't really know why, but I work out and eat a lot but I'm not gaining weight for some reason. So if anyone knows a pro player's diet please post it or the link of where you found it....

If you wanna gain mass, not only you work out a lot and eat a lot, you will also need to REST a lot. Give yourself at least 2 days of rest out of a week.

0range
08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
^^^ remember that muscle growth and repair only happens during resting.