PDA

View Full Version : Gymnasts cut the carbs

snoopy
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5317716/

albino smurf
08-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Thus, having lots of complex sugars stored up — the kind produced by carbohydrates — does not help a gymnast that much. Those energy spurts are best provided by a diet high in protein. Most gymnasts try to get between 60 percent and 70 percent of their calories from proteins (like meats and cheeses), the rest from carbs (like whole-grain pasta, fruits, vegetables) and fats (like oils from peanuts).

Nice article. Interesting stuff.

cncretecwbo
08-19-2008, 08:01 AM
thats probably more protein than they need

Magix
08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
thats probably more protein than they need
I guess you've never seen the size of their arms then!

Man, gymnasts are top heavy, but I still think most of them look good.

0range
08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Tennis is likely a much different thing... if I don't eat large amount of carbs, I'll feel dead all day. (ps. I train about 2 hours a day 4~6 times a week).

cncretecwbo
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I guess you've never seen the size of their arms then!

Man, gymnasts are top heavy, but I still think most of them look good.

protein intake =/= muscle size

nereis
08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Abundant protein source plus daily gymastics equals supermen. Excess carbohydrate intake equals fat gain and insulin resistance, resulting in dead weight and therefore subpar anaerobic performance.

cncretecwbo
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
unless steroids are involved there wouldnt be much difference with any protein intake over 1g/lb bodyweight, and probably even less than that

0range
08-21-2008, 01:20 PM
However, big muscles involves quality exercises and large amount of protein intake to maintain.

mdrew9
08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
unless steroids are involved there wouldnt be much difference with any protein intake over 1g/lb bodyweight, and probably even less than that

Its really difficult to say what protein intake is appropriate for them. Mostlikely they black box it and do what works.

mdrew9
08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Here are some comments on this article on a blog I subscribe to.
http://www.arthurdevany.com/?p=1203

snoopy
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
That's where i got the article from mrdrew. Someone posted a link to Devany's site last year and I've been reading it ever since. I lost lots of weight and I'm fitter than ever. Plus my knee bothers me less b/c i don't run long distances much anymore. I don't follow everything Devany says but he got me to cut my carbs and eat less sugar. Plus he showed me that it's really not extremely difficult to get fit and lose weight.

cncretecwbo
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Its really difficult to say what protein intake is appropriate for them. Mostlikely they black box it and do what works.

there has never been a scientific study on any naturally-trained population that has shown an increase in protein synthesis/muscle with a protein intake of over 1 g/lb bodyweight. they dont have to know how much they are taking, I'm simply stating facts.

malakas
08-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice article..for showing how following a gymnast's nutrition is unhealthy and not advisable for normal people.
Teenage girls still growing,training god knows how many hours and eat this? egg whites for breakfast, a small piece of chicken for lunch, small snacks of cheese and vegetables in between meals and maybe some fish and fruit for dinner.!!!
This is barely the minimum 1200 calories!!And these teenagers are still growing!
I really hope any girl here won't read this and want to copy it,it's very unhealthy and you see the results,most athletes are what? around 1.45?and 45 kilos.:?

Secondly this:Rybacki said, however, that a little bit of off-the-diet eating is allowed, ďas long as itís looked at as a reward, something special, and not part of the regular routine.Ē

Regarding junk food as a reward it's a terrible idea,and sets the stone for bad eating habits in little children whose mother to praise them buys them a cheeseburger.

nereis
08-26-2008, 12:05 AM
I imagine they carb up on the weekends. Thats what most of us do on a 'cutting diet'. If not, they would basically run on the minimum amount of carbs most of the week while increasing fat and protein intake, resulting in increased hormone production and hence greater amounts of protein synthesis.

PS: Kids don't need much calories. Until they hit puberty most kids only need around 1000 a day to grow, depending on body weight.

malakas
08-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Less than 1000 a day?Yes,when the kid is very young and short,doesn't train for hours every day,and even then is very very possible it will hinder growth.