PDA

View Full Version : The sorry state of tennis

rolandg
08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
This is quite a famous article from Sports Illustrated in 1994. I just found it on their archive website, and it's a really good read. It's amazing how little has changed in 14 years.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005166/1/index.htm

tennis-hero
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
im sorry that the americans dont seem to understand that tennis is the greatest sport in the world.... (well a tiny minority of americans do appreciate it and the rest are lazy overweight bums who drink alcohol and watch boring crap like baseball)

tennis everywhere else in the world is on the rise thanks to great ambassadors for the sport

Charlie_Boy
08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I think the state of tennis is just fine.

daddy
08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, if you do not find it interesting do not watch it. That simple. To be completely honest, I know that a lot of prize money and ratings can make tennis a more popular sport but sometimes I wonder is that what Id really like to happen since I dont mind anyways if my neighbour watches it or if his kids play .. Its interesting both to watch and play in my mind and thats about all I can ask for is it ??

Charlie_Boy
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, if you do not find it interesting do not watch it. That simple. To be completely honest, I know that a lot of prize money and ratings can make tennis a more popular sport but sometimes I wonder is that what Id really like to happen since I dont mind anyways if my neighbour watches it or if his kids play .. Its interesting both to watch and play in my mind and thats about all I can ask for is it ??

Well said.

xtremerunnerars
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought the part about basketball was funny. The seats thing is because the setting is so intimate. People at hockey games and football games don't let you sit while play is in progress either.

Can't say i agree with the limiting of younger kids. To compete and be interesting on tour you've got to be in a certain age group because it's so darn grueling now.

JediMindTrick
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Tennis is probably the most watched sport worldwide after football.

i8myshirt
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
You're talking about "soccer" football right?
I think people would appreciate tennis more if more people played.
People tend to watch other sports because they can also play them. A lot of people in the U.S.A. play basketball, soccer, football, etc. because it's easily accessible to them. This also leads to them watching the sport, because they know how good the pros really are.
However, many don't play tennis as much as these other sports. You have to buy a racket, find a someone that is actually willing to play, get tennis balls, find a court, and then actually play. It's just so much easier to play another sport, so people are focusing more on those other sports.

mercuryguy
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for posting the link for the article, I was looking for it. Its an interesting read.

CyBorg
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM

He probably means the one where the foot actually meets a ball the majority of the time.;)

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Great find! I was surprised to see writers dealing with the issue of time taken between points back in the day:

9) Give it some gas.

No sporting event should last more than three hours, particularly one that has so little live action. Why do players need 25 seconds between points to collect themselves? The game was better when play was continuous. Why not put a time clock on the court? If a player doesn't get his serve off in 15 seconds, he loses the point.

Also, take away the chairs. A player doesn't need to sit down at every changeover while one ball boy holds an umbrella over his head and another pours the Evian .

Morrissey
08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
People who don't get tennis don't fully appreciate the beauty of the sport and how hard it is to play.

DashaandSafin
08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry to contradict you but the geatest and most viewed sport today on Earth is SOCCER...In EVERY country in this planet they are major and minor soccer leagues,lately including women leagues also...and no sportsman is so world wide known as the Argentine player DIEGO ARMANDO MARADONA...

Lol...Maradona? Please. Pele is much more popular. Also they dont hold a wooden nickel to Michael Jordan...

Venetian
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
im sorry that the americans dont seem to understand that tennis is the greatest sport in the world.... (well a tiny minority of americans do appreciate it and the rest are lazy overweight bums who drink alcohol and watch boring crap like baseball)

tennis everywhere else in the world is on the rise thanks to great ambassadors for the sport

How dare those lazy stupid Americans not like something that you like. How dare they! Clearly they need to aspire to be more wordly like you.

Charlie_Boy
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Lol...Maradona? Please. Pele is much more popular. Also they dont hold a wooden nickel to Michael Jordan...

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that more people on the planet know who Pele is.

Ignorant Genius
08-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that more people on the planet know who Pele is.

You're wrong. Most recognized athletes in the world are Jordan, Shaq (maybe not so much now), Kobe & Lebron.

You can google it if you don't believe it.

Anthonycole
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I biggest thing I've noticed is, while I was going out playing tennis all my friends were going to play golf. And if I ever got my friends to go play, it would be a pathetic 15-20 minutes of chasing balls. They would rather do something that didn't take much agility and that didn't make them run.

most kids in the states are just lazy...

rosewall4ever
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
During the Aus Open its the most watched Sport during that part of the season and in consectutive years top 10 of the year...

tennis-hero
08-18-2008, 03:03 PM
the difference between team sports and solo sports is simple

with tennis, if you lose, *you* lose
if you win, *you* win

if you lose in a soccer game it could be because your team mate sucks....

soccer will never compare to tennis, tennis is about how great you are

soccer is about how good a team can play together

so no, soccer will never compare to tennis

i rate, chess, badminton and table tennis (ping pong) above soccer for the same reason (and im excellent at them all :D )

seffina
08-19-2008, 05:22 AM
I don't know anything about Maradona besides the fact that he's a footballer, but I do know all the other athletes mentioned in this thread. So... I don't really know how famous he is. I see Pele jerseys all the time, no Maradona ones as far as I can recall.

Of course I don't really watch much football besides the world cups, so that might explain it.

Tennis is my favorite sport to watch and play, but I'm a huge fan of American football (my college and NFL team) and college basketball. The clear difference is that the others are team sports and are just such a different flavor. It has lasting power because the team's not going to go anywhere. There will always be a NFL team, while your favorite tennis players will retire and move on. As a result, every player has to work very hard to gain fans and keep the game going. Makes the job of tennis tournaments that much harder. Loyalty and marketing is far easier with teams than individuals.

Rhino
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
This article was discussed in length a while ago, but this is the true state o tennis..

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=189354

MOST PPULAR SPORTS IN THE WORLD:
1. Football (that's soccer not American football) is the world's most popular sport to play and to watch. An estimated 3.5 billion people either watch or play football.
2. Cricket. An estimated 3 billion people watch or play cricket each year.
3. Field hockey, with an estimated 2 billion players or watchers, mostly in Asian countries, European countries, Australia and around Africa.
4. TENNIS. There are an estimated 1 billion players and watchers of tennis around the world.
5. volleyball. An estimated 900 million viewers or players around the world.
6. Table tennis, otherwise known as Ping Pong, with an estimated 900 million watchers or players.

After these sports, we have a triumvirate of more mainstream American sports including baseball, golf, American football and basketball, with each sport attracting between 400 and 500 million players or watchers worldwide.

So you see, tennis is in GREAT shape.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-19-2008, 07:55 AM
This article was discussed in length a while ago, but this is the true state o tennis..

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=189354

MOST PPULAR SPORTS IN THE WORLD:
1. Football (that's soccer not American football) is the world's most popular sport to play and to watch. An estimated 3.5 billion people either watch or play football.
2. Cricket. An estimated 3 billion people watch or play cricket each year.
3. Field hockey, with an estimated 2 billion players or watchers, mostly in Asian countries, European countries, Australia and around Africa.
4. TENNIS. There are an estimated 1 billion players and watchers of tennis around the world.
5. volleyball. An estimated 900 million viewers or players around the world.
6. Table tennis, otherwise known as Ping Pong, with an estimated 900 million watchers or players.

After these sports, we have a triumvirate of more mainstream American sports including baseball, golf, American football and basketball, with each sport attracting between 400 and 500 million players or watchers worldwide.

So you see, tennis is in GREAT shape.

Field hockey trumps tennis?! Volleyball and Table Tennis I understand, they're high scoring and fast moving games, but field hockey is far too low scoring for my tastes.

DashaandSafin
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM

And Id be willing to be even more that more people know who Jordan is. People in Asia dont know as much about Pele. In fact, when I was over there playing some soccer (recreationally), I talked about players and such and no one knew who Pele was...hell I think the name Ronaldo (C Ronaldo or Ronaldo) was more popular than Pele..

drakulie
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Great find! I was surprised to see writers dealing with the issue of time taken between points back in the day:

9) Give it some gas.

No sporting event should last more than three hours, particularly one that has so little live action. Why do players need 25 seconds between points to collect themselves? The game was better when play was continuous. Why not put a time clock on the court? If a player doesn't get his serve off in 15 seconds, he loses the point.

Also, take away the chairs. A player doesn't need to sit down at every changeover while one ball boy holds an umbrella over his head and another pours the Evian .

agreed. All very good points. Things do need to be sped up between points. It is getting quite ridiculous.

taffymoon
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Some of us in NA call soccer, futbol, and american football, football.

Ossric
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM

if you win, *you* win

i rate, chess, badminton and table tennis (ping pong) above soccer for the same reason (and im excellent at them all :D )

Just because you think you're good at these (2) activities (1) sport, doesn't make them better than another sport.

Just because soccer is a team sport doesn't make other sports more important because they are solo endeavours.

Your opinion is not fact.

West Coast Ace
08-19-2008, 09:39 AM

tennis everywhere else in the world is on the rise thanks to great ambassadors for the sportI hope you fully appreciate the irony that you're on an AMERICAN WEBSITE making such silly comments. If tennis is so popular in your country why do you need to come here?

I think people would appreciate tennis more if more people played.
Sorry, not buying it. People can play the 'sophistication' card until it wears out - but a sport that encourages 0-0 ties and faking injuries will NEVER get traction in the US - those two tenets go against our values - playing to win and playing fair.

People who don't get tennis don't fully appreciate the beauty of the sport and how hard it is to play.Amen. I think for TV the producers (where available) should show more of the low angle shots - for the whole point. Watching guys going back and forth, hitting the ball on the run demonstrates the agility and speed needed.

How dare those lazy stupid Americans not like something that you like. How dare they! Clearly they need to aspire to be more wordly like you.Amen II. And they come here (see above) to lecture us. Too funny.

Cup8489
08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
this guy i work with used to watch becker and sampras and agassi a few years back. he turned the olympics on, and couldnt watch more than 5 minutes of the match, because it's so boring to him now (no agression, just hitting out the whole time)

the low angles idea is good, though. i love it when they show this angle, lets you appreciate the speed of everything: ball speed, racquet speed, footspeed, spin, everything.

it's just better that way.

LuckyR
08-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I think that what you are saying is just an excuse for your mistake...this does not change the fact that SOCCER ist the greatest sport on Earth ( I love tennis also) ...and the greatest living sportsman today is Diego Armando Maradona,the Argentine SOCCER player...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even one like the above. My problem with playing soccer is that it is entirely possible to outplay the other team for 99% of the game, have one hiccup in the defense and lose 0-1. Winners and losers are too random and frequently don't reflect the quality of the play. Tennis is the complete opposite, no matter how lucky you get on one shot, it's only one point, you have to dominate to win.

My problem with watching soccer is, the higher the skill of the teams, the less action there is, since the players are all spread out on the field and have such good passes and ball handling skills that defenders shouldn't press with tight defense since they will get beat most of the time. High level soccer is a great Highlight Film sport, but not that interesting to watch live.

The Pure One
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
If MARADONA sneezes ....you will have instantly all the mass media present to inform the world on the event...I dont know if any other person can achieve this...

Wow! You must be a friend of Maradona and probably use the same destructive DRUGS he use. Let me ask you, Are you nuts? Maradona became somewhat famous back in the '86 World Cup and when Madonna (the singer) meet him. Pelé is more famous than your drug addict midget. BTW, the most recognized athletes in the world are: M. Ali and M. Jordan and probably Mike Tyson. No doubt about it!

melopeat
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I think you'll find Tiger Woods is the most recognized sportsman in the world and he deserves it.

Football (soccer) is the greatest sport ever! You've got to love tennis too :)

tacou
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
tennis isn't so popular for 2 reasons:
1 it's the hardest sport to pick up. two people who don't know how to play can't just pick up rackets and have a fun, competitive match. balls go flying and it's just ugly.
2 it's the most unflattering sport on tv. what I mean by that is, on TV you can't appreciate just how fast Roddick's serve, how much action Nadal's forehand has on it and how beautiful Roger's movement is. plus, people don't understand that even a simple groundstroke requires perfect timing, positioning and mechanics.

my_forehand
08-20-2008, 06:01 AM

if you win, *you* win

Yeh, you're god aren't you? Your opinion is fact.

Go tell the the 4 billion people out there smiling whilst playing soccer game that you can't co-exist with other people, and that their sport sucks, and will never compare to the great sport of tennis.

And I like how you rate chess etc. higher than soccer only cause you're good at those three - and you probably suck at soccer.

And, yes, you actually can attain personal recognition and "greatness" in a team, if you haven't noticed by now. Why do you think so many people know the famous clubs: because of their star player(s).

Rhino's list was posted after your post but: if you hadn't noticed, the top 3 most watched/played sports are team sports: you know those one's which involve teamwork.

Are you sure you aren't a lazy overweight bum who drink alcohol and watches tennis? I'm not even American, but way to be a stereotypical *****hole.

Tennis is about how great you are? It's people like you will put tennis in a sorry state.

Most recognized sportsmen: IMO, after the Olympics, Michael Phelps.
Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Lance Armstrong (?), Pele, (maybe) Federer

JediMindTrick
08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
I think you'll find Tiger Woods is the most recognized sportsman in the world and he deserves it.

Football (soccer) is the greatest sport ever! You've got to love tennis too :)

No offense, but the only reason most of the world knows about Tiger Woods is because they saw him in ads with Federer. In fact in some adds they made him tell his name and showed him playing golf, because most people didn't know who's the funny guy which compares himself with Federer.

mista-k
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM

I play tennis+smoke+drink+watch baseball (in the stands)+eat hotdogs+philly cheese steaks and LOVE IT! btw Im not fat but I do have a beer belly

mista-k
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
You're wrong. Most recognized athletes in the world are Jordan, Shaq (maybe not so much now), Kobe & Lebron.

You can google it if you don't believe it.

I was gonna correct your reply but then I saw "Ignorant Genius"...nvm

Guamanian G
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
no feeling compares to waking up early and playing some tennis. Tennis is such a beautiful sport, but I am so disappointed it's not so popular in the states. Many people have negative assumptions about how tennis is not a "manly" sport. Plain and simple, people would rather watch overgrown, 300 pound men tackle eachother. At least that's whats happening in the USA. =/