PDA

View Full Version : Your Tennis Update Thread

35ft6
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Sometimes you hit, nothing really cool or amazing happened, not enough to warrant a separate thread, but you feel like talking about it anyway. This is the thread for that.

I played last might in Santa Monica. My forehand is feeling funky. I'm hitting it way too flat, don't have confidence in it, sometimes it goes in, sometimes it goes out, but I feel like I don't have much say in the matter. I've never quite had this problem on my forehand before. My forehand is pretty no frills. Not sure what's up.

mattp420
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
I hit today with my cousin. We decided to play a set and he was up 5-3, but I had to retire because I misjudged where his serve was going to land and got hit in the balls.

Good thing neither of us have very strong serves, but it hurt.

tbini87
08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
like the thread idea! finally got back on the courts after a few weeks off, and feel pretty good. met some of the better players in my area (that i could find... prob around 4.0 level, im sure there are better players out there somewhere...) and have been having a blast. hitting the ball pretty well... like seeing some pace again! i will prob chime in again in a week or two... school starts next week.

Serve_Ace
08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
i hit this one hand backhand down the line winner, it was cool

yoh4u
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I was playing a doubles match earlier and i hit the returner in his gut, it was funny at first.

xtrakewl
08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
i had a lesson today and we were working on the forehand topspin lob
and i noticed after when we were hitting after my forehand it was rly inconsistant
either i was hiting it with way to much clearance over the net or right into the net

MomentumGT
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
This past Sunday I played at my local courts. I was up really late watching the woman's and men's gold medal matches and dozed off at around 4am. Woke up around 7am and ran with my 3 dogs for about 1.5 miles then went to the courts around 8:30am.

Despite being already tired I actually played really well. Its hot in the IE but I was still able to run around the court and my backhand started clicking once again. I actually have control and power coming from my bh side. Still not as good as in college but a lot better than the past 6 months or so. I left the courts around 1:30pm and watched more Olympics.

-Jon

tennisfreak15347
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I've been in a tennis depression lately. I dont know if it's because my strings are mushy, or my tecnique is bad, but I've just not been able to do the amasing forehands I usually do. this happened about two weeks ago, and this is just before my last tournament of the summer. Also, yes, I have to play with mushy strings through the tournament since my parents dont allow me to change strings that often ;]

35ft6
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Did several minutes of volley drills and of course when I get the shot I'd been practicing in actual point play I brick it as if I've never seen it in my life.

Breaker
08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I played today, hitting the best I have in a while. Really hard and penetrating, moving the other guy corner to corner, great attacking ball - playing the best my puny 5.0 self can.

And then he hits a body serve in the duece court hard and with a bit of slice - I try to move right to hit a backhand inside out and trip on my own left foot, spraining my ankle and having to concede the match :(

albino smurf
08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I've been serving really consistently for the last couple of weeks. It has been very nice and it has given me a lot more confidence to go for it on the second serve a bit more.

jgn1013
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I played Sunday, USTA playoff.. match lasted for 4 hours. Won 7-6, 6-7,6-4. I was down 1 break in the 1st set, and 2 breaks in the 2nd. I've been having some cramping issues, 2 weeks ago I had really bad cramps, in the quads & calf's. The doctor said i must have damage some muscle tissue, and I need to take a least 2 weeks off, but I haven't been able to. Our last match is this Saturday, city finals, hopefully I can get through this match with another win!! then I'm taking a break for 2 weeks.

ag200boy
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
my friend hit a ball, then i hit a ball, then he said out, then he won the point

Murray_Maniac
08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I was hitting serves in my backyard & decided to switch my serve grip from a continental to an extreme eastern bh. Imo they are consistantely faster.

35ft6
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
my friend hit a ball, then i hit a ball, then he said out, then he won the point This is almost Hemingway-esque.

Steady Eddy
08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I've been serving really consistently for the last couple of weeks. It has been very nice and it has given me a lot more confidence to go for it on the second serve a bit more.

Me too. Last time I played, I had no faults in some of the games I served. Yep, I didn't need the 2nd serve. That happened earlier as well. All my 1st serves were going in, my partner pointed that out, so of course, I doubled! :) If only I could learn how to not think.

Tofuspeedstar
08-19-2008, 08:50 PM
My backhand has been overpowering my forehand lately *sighs*

pabletion
08-19-2008, 08:54 PM
This is the thread that was missin..., just complainin about our tennis....; anyways, I have a tourney on Sat, last weeknd t'was a long wknd, so me and some friends went to El Salvador... drank too much, I came back witha bruised ring finger, and upset stomach... went to train on monday, bruised my finger again while misshittin a return (finger got jammed with grip)..... and just seeing how well it responds from here till saturday. BTW I was REALLY hittin well before I got hurt, its just amazing what a new overgrip does to my FH, which kinda sucks bcause hey... who wants/can change their overgrip every day??????

quest01
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I played Tennis today at 6:15pm-dark. I played 2 long sets, first set I won 7-5 but he had 3 set points while I was serving at 4-5, 0-40. I lost the second set in a tiebreak. Also I broke a string and won a point today, after breaking the string I just lobbed him to death.

onehandbh
08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
After giving up on the K90, I've gone back to it the last few times I've hit.
This time strung w/full cyberpower poly instead of a hybrid. At first I liked
it only for groundstrokes and nothing else, but I'm starting to get used to it.
The one thing that I hated about the K90 was hitting backhands and touch
shots. Strung w/cyberpower at 60 lbs my backhands feel much better and
I have a bit more feel as well. I think I'll raise the tension a bit more to
about 63 next time.

I just have to accept that I'll never find another racquet with as much
feedback and touch as the PS85. Sort of like going bareback vs using
a physical prophylactic.

MomentumGT
08-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I just have to accept that I'll never find another racquet with as much
feedback and touch as the PS85. Sort of like going bareback vs using
a physical prophylactic.

Nice!!!!

-Jon

Serpententacle
08-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I played tennis. I had fun.

Jonnyf
08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Had a few hours hit today. Feel like throwing up about 20 mins in for some strange reason!
I've got no confidence in my game atm but I'll be back ;)

Julieta
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I am in a major slump. May throw sticks in trash or have huge bonfire and burn them all.

Do you think Carborn Xtreme gives off toxic fumes if burned?

pabletion
08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I am in a major slump. May throw sticks in trash or have huge bonfire and burn them all.

^^^ I'll take 'em!!!!!!!!!! :)

Tikiman53
08-20-2008, 05:22 PM

aww, that sucks. Maybe you should take a break. Sometimes that helps. For me, I just come back sucking even more though. It works for some.

I haven't been able to play much recently. But I've played a few sets with this guy I know. I've beaten him every single time, but on the last time we played, I didn't have my racket and I had to use his Prince 03 Blue or something like that. It was oversize. Dude, that thing is impossible to play with. I just couldn't play with it, and I almost lost. But in the end, I decided to stop making errors and spin everything in, and i won 6-3 :)

pabletion
08-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Lost my 1st rd tourney match today... it sucks, I was sick all week, and last weeknd bruised my ring finger from my hittin arm, and today I was finally able to hit FH's, even tho it did bother me a bit, not hurt, but you know, when youre coming off an injury, and it finally doesnt hurts, it stills bothers you at some extension. Anyways, I started off great, despite nerves, serving OK, hitting the ball; the other guy could hit, but when I started to take control of the match he just started to push, passin every ball, most of them lobs. Man, it was such a hot day today, and I wasnt really feelin great phisically, and my body just wasnt ready for a grindin match... Was up in both sets, the first one 5-2 his serve, and just couldnt close it. The 2nd up 4-3 his serve, and was 0-40 to break, couldnt close it. I blew it but it just really sucks when you know youre not there 100%, I even got a bad headache from the effort and sun I guess... but anyways, gotta keep at it, cause I feel I was hitting pretty good.... sucks though! tough loss.....

Tikiman53
08-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Yesterday, I played the best tennis of my life. There's this guy that consistently beats me 6-3. But yesterday, my mental game and everything was incredible. I had so much energy, and I played the best match ever. Every point had a 6 shots + rally, and I ended up winning 6-4 7-5.

Today, I went back to the courts, hoping I'd be able to bring the magic back. I was tired as ****, my feet wouldn't move, and I was scared of going for shots. I also double faulted quite a few times. I ended up winning 6-4 against this other guy. I'm glad I won, but now I'm pooped.

35ft6
08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
My forehand is slowly coming back. Last time I played, my racket felt great, then the string broke, I went to a more tightly strung stick, and my forehand started becoming erratic again. I think I'm going to go back to a looser tension. I started stringing it a bit tighter after hitting with this guy who hits pretty big, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be any point in it. Having a lot of fun playing lately. Unfortunately, still not losing weight. Noticed my knees have been kind of tender lately. Sucks.

albino smurf
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I hit my elbow hard walking in my house the other day. Since then I have hit it eight more times and it has been killing me. Every time I think it is better I whack it on something and it goes back to swollen and purple. Frickin sucks.

35ft6
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Played for a couple of hours with NoJoke and OneHBH.

My forehand is still doing funky stuff. I'm trying to put a big loop back into the swing because I was really driving through it too much on a flat swing path. Felt a lot better than I did two nights ago, when I felt every ounce of my 208 pounds blubbering around.