PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated by the back pain!

drummerboy
08-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi

I am sure probably this topic has been discused before but how did you guys managed to cope with back problems. I am a recreational player and this season my back is giving me constant problems. It seems some nerve is pinched down there because I am not moving well arounf the court and can't go to short balls because my movement is totally of and it seems like my legs are locked up because of the pain. I tried strenghtening, I took 2 weeks off but everytime I came back to the clay it comes back. I am really frustrated because it seems my season may be coming to an end and I am playing at 20% right now. Any tips are welcome.

Thanks

scotus
08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Go see an ortho or chiropractor.

You probably need deep-tissue massage and loosening of muscles more than strengthening of muscles.

When you have a serious back pain, taking 2 weeks off is nothing. You could be out for months.

My last sciatica took over 2 years to heal.

f1 tech
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
You should really stretch for a good 5 mintues before playing. Stretch your lower and upper back, buttocks, and hamstrings. But your sciatica should be looked at by a professional.

BCEagle01
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Go see an ortho or chiropractor.

You probably need deep-tissue massage and loosening of muscles more than strengthening of muscles.

When you have a serious back pain, taking 2 weeks off is nothing. You could be out for months.

My last sciatica took over 2 years to heal.

I am in the same boat. I have been battling herniations and some sciatica for aver a year. No relief in sight. I have tried everything, seen the best doctors Boston hospitals have to offer and still no relief. 3 cortisone epidurals didn't help either. I think it has moved into the dreaded "Chronic" type of back pain.

Spokewench
08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Stretch, stretch and do more stretching. Yoga is really good for this. Do it at least every day or at the least every other day.

Also, strengthen your core! A strong core can compensate a lot for the weakness in the back. Do crunches; do planks, and keep it up; do it every other day. See if that does not help!

I broke my back in my mid20's so I know of what I speak!

hang in there and have patience.

chess9
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I am in the same boat. I have been battling herniations and some sciatica for aver a year. No relief in sight. I have tried everything, seen the best doctors Boston hospitals have to offer and still no relief. 3 cortisone epidurals didn't help either. I think it has moved into the dreaded "Chronic" type of back pain.

Have you had an MRI?

-Robert

albino smurf
08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
I heard somewhere that those can cost upwards of $2500!

chess9
08-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I heard somewhere that those can cost upwards of $2500!

;) You are such a naughty boy....

-Robert

Rickson
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
It may feel like a pinched nerve, but it's more likely to be a muscle strain. If your back is going into spasms, you should ice the muscles immediately. When your back heals, you should start on some flexibility training. Remember, wait until your back is healed. You start with a warmup such as a 10 minute jog. When your body is warm and your blood is flowing, start stretching the muscles of the lower back and hamstrings. Bring your feet shoulder width apart and stretch to one leg while keeping a slight bend in that leg. Reach for the other leg, and then reach for the middle. Hold each stretch for several seconds and don't bounce. Finally, you should lean backwards slowly. Your range of motion will improve and should help you. Good luck.

tennisdad65
09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Rest now, then stretch and strengthen your back before getting back to tennis.

I had a herniated disk 5 yrs back (golf + yard work).. I was too scared to play tennis. but i started back last year and did a lot of back stretches and strengthening. I used to stretch my back a lot and do a lot of back strengthening exercises. When I did this I had no problems playing tennis.

The last few months, I slacked off on my back stretches and strengthening.. Just 2 weeks back I got a bad back pain after serving for about 30 minutes.. I have stopped playing tennis, and I am stretching/strengthening for 2 weeks before I get back to the tennis courts.

FastFreddy
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I would ice it and take some addvil then extra strength ben gay and put a heating pad for a week or two. Once I felt a little better I would jumpe rope some how that would put everything back in place for me. also hangin on a chining bar seem to stretch it out a bit. You might have a muscle inbalance or just overuse or just twisted and tweaked it.