PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here...?

Babb
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
If you're going to reply (which would be appreciated), please take the time to fully understand the situation by reading the entire post. Thanks.

So... over the summer I took up cross country as a favor for a friend, as training for tennis, and for fun. I was really, really good at running (especially for a first-year runner) but then I got shin splints really badly. Even with shin splints, I consistently outran my teammates until one day I couldn't run anymore and had to walk during cross country practice.

The next day, I woke up not feeling so well (extremely tired with an extremely sore throat). My mom took me to the doctor and they ran a quick blood test and they found that I have mono. I think I actually had it for about a week before it was diagnosed, and that it had just been sapping my energy (I'd slept more than usual that week).

Well, I'm starting to recover now after just a week. The sore throat is almost gone, but not quite, and I think I've rested plenty. My shin splints should be gone by now just because I have done absolutely no running or anything for a week. However, it's not all good news. While I was sick, I lost ten pounds just from not eating enough (I couldn't eat at all one or two days because my throat was that sore). I'm not the kind of person who needs to lose weight because I am 6'1 and was about 143 pounds before cross country.

All that to present this dilemma:

Should I rush my body and try to compete in cross country this season? Or just take the fall to rest and start working on my tennis physique and weight gain? I love tennis much more than running but I feel like I have something to prove in cross country. My body is made for running and I really want to be the comeback kid because I love to make people proud of me and impress them.

But, I may not have the energy to do it because the energy loss from mono I've heard can last for months. And if I didn't have the energy, I'd just force myself to do it and end up hurting myself because I want to do well so badly. I think I am a masochist (not in the sexual sense... ew). But really.

I'm thinking I should go against my tendencies to be a self-destructive idiot and just sit this season out and start getting ready for tennis, but I want to hear some opinions because IMO the best posters on TT are in the Health and Fitness section.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
From what I have read, there is a risk of damaging the spleen if you return to athletic activity within four weeks of recovery from mono. I'd take it easy to make sure serious damage isn't caused.

Go back to your doctor and ask his/her opinion.

Babb
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks Klatu. My doctor talked to me about that and just said no "contact sports". He also just felt around the area when I was diagnosed with mono last Tuesday and said that my spleen was "not enlarged". So I think I'm fine there, to my knowledge.

Uncle Emmitt
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
if the doctor says you are ok then you can do whichever. Sounds like you really enjoy tennis ( you said " much more than running ) so If you want you could take that time to get stronger and quicker in the gym and recover. I can say this ( I guess you are in school ) that tennis is truly a lifetime sport.

bobbyb
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
heyyy i am just getting over mono also...and it definately does not take months to feel better because i am feeling alot better already and ive had mono for a little over a month and you have symptoms for 4-6 weeks so i am at the end of it so ask your doctor how long you have had it and if you are near the end of it just take a few days off of everything to quicken the healing process and then get back out there you will feel out of shape the first few workouts but after that you will feel like your old self again