PDA

View Full Version : Pat Cash

Murray_Maniac
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok I know this isnt entirely new so please dont blame mean on that. But why did Pat Cash switch from the Volkl Dnx 10 mid to a Dunlop aerogel 300? (Btw Ive observed the frames close & know he indeed used the volkl & did actually switch to the dunlop) I have a recorded match of him using the volkl & I just wonder why the heck he switched since he played so well w/ it. Imo he started playing worse w/ the dunlop. Could it have to do w/ $$$$? Opinions?

AndrewD
08-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, he did just win a tournament so can't be playing too badly. However, the answer is that previously, he had a sponsorship with Volkl and now he has one with Dunlop. Remember, he doesn't play tennis for a living these days but tennis is still his livelihood. As a result, he has to think professionally and go with a brand that is willing to put some sponsorship dollars into his tennis academy. How he plays with their gear is irrelevant but it would seem that he's playing pretty well.

Murray_Maniac
08-20-2008, 03:50 AM
Hmmm, well I havent seen him play that much, I would if tennis channel showed more coverage.Yea I was kinda thinking gear isnt that important for retired pros. But I did some research & found out that Dunlop is an australian company, & he's australian, plus he probably gets more $$$ from dunlop so case is closed.

Rabbit
08-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Volkl canceled all their pro contracts. Where once their province was the senior pro, now it's nothing.

He does indeed play with a stock 300G with some weight added. He was given the choice of pretty much any frame in the line up and chose the 300G. Last I heard, he was alternating between an all-poly set up and gut/poly.

vsbabolat
08-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Hmmm, well I havent seen him play that much, I would if tennis channel showed more coverage.Yea I was kinda thinking gear isnt that important for retired pros. But I did some research & found out that Dunlop is an australian company, & he's australian, plus he probably gets more $$$ from dunlop so case is closed.

Dunlop Sport is a British Company. The current owners of Dunlop is Sport Direct International a British company as well. Although Sports Direct does not own the "Rights" to the Dunlop name in Australia and few other markets.
http://www.sports-direct-international.com/main.asp?pid=19
Sports Direct first acquired a licence to the Dunlop brand in respect of sports and leisure goods in various countries as part of the acquisition of Dunlop Slazenger Group Holdings Limited in 2004. The brand was originally associated with tyre production, having been established in 1888 by John Boyd Dunlop after he invented the modern pneumatic inflatable tyre, and first extended to sporting equipment in 1939. It has since become associated with a wide variety of sporting equipment and apparel. It is a leading brand in the badminton, golf, squash and tennis equipment markets due to its particularly strong heritage in racket sports as illustrated by historic association with players such as John McEnroe and Steffi Graf. In these heritage areas, Dunlop’s key competitors include Prince, Wilson and Head. It is also associated with sporting and casual footwear, such as “Green Flash” shoes. To maintain and develop the current profile of the brand, the Group has entered sponsorship agreements with several high-profile athletes, such as Darren Clarke, Tommy Haas, David Howell and Lee Westwood.
Following the acquisition of Dunlop International Limited in May 2006, the Group now owns the worldwide rights to license the Dunlop brand, save in relation to tyres, and other than in Australia, Fiji, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Taiwan and the United States. In the United States, the Dunlop brand is owned and controlled by DNA (Housemarks) Limited, a joint venture vehicle currently owned by the Group and SRI USA, Inc. The Directors regard the United States as a potential source of significant sales, as Dunlop remains an under-developed brand in the US sports retail market.

The Directors aim to increase considerably the income generated from the Dunlop brand over the years to come. The Group’s strategy with the Dunlop brand involves extensions to the existing product range as well as leveraging the brand’s strength in its existing core products, such as tennis balls and rackets, to drive wholesale revenue in Dunlop branded clothing and accessories.
The Group is also looking to increase its worldwide licensing income from the Dunlop brand by consolidating its existing licensees in Europe and expanding its licensing operations in the United States and Asia. The Directors also believe that there is scope to license the Dunlop brand into new product categories such as automotive products and accessories, bicycles, travel and leisure and fitness.

If you would like to conact Dunlop International here is the adress.
http://www.dunlopsport.com/en/Dunlop-Sport/Contact/
DUNLOP INTERNATIONAL
Brook Park
Meadow Lane
Shirebrook
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
NG20 8RY united kingdom

robby c
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw Cash play this Spring. Then he was playing the 100.
Robby C

DNShade
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
He's been playing with the aerogel 300 for over a year now - and haven't seen him hit with anything else in that time period - all the Outback and other expos I've seen - and he's been playing quite well with it. Just won in Newport beating Courier, so he seems to be liking it.

And Rabbit is right - Volkl pulled all their pro contracts a while ago - not sure what's going on with them.

hoosierbr
08-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm just speculating but my guess is the big push is behind the Boris Becker line, especially since there's a clothing line as well. Maybe they'll do shoes next, who knows?

Too bad because Volkl is a first-class manufacturer that never seemed to get the marketing right in the way that other small brands have like Technifibre for example.

Rabbit
08-21-2008, 04:56 AM
I saw Cash play this Spring. Then he was playing the 100.
Robby C

He was given the choice, maybe he was demoing? Anyway, he looks to be back with the 300 on a full time basis now.

lgbalfa
08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Volkl canceled all their pro contracts. Where once their province was the senior pro, now it's nothing.

He does indeed play with a stock 300G with some weight added. He was given the choice of pretty much any frame in the line up and chose the 300G. Last I heard, he was alternating between an all-poly set up and gut/poly.

why did volkl cancel all their pro contracts?

Rabbit
08-22-2011, 08:06 AM
why did volkl cancel all their pro contracts?

What I heard was one word....BECKER. He thought his name alone was a big enough draw.