PDA

View Full Version : Ball Cost?

01-30-2005, 07:27 PM
For non pros, one thing that may be of a concern is 'who pays for the balls' after practicing with your playing partner. If this question is not addressed front on than we may see old balls being used every time which is not very pleasant.

I think that the best way to deal with this problem is to play a match (one game, a few games, a set etc.) near end of the session and the loser pays. Not only does this solve the ball problem and being able to use new balls each time but also the better player on the day can be rewarded. Moreover, this will also inspire better tennis from both players.

What do you think and how do you deal with this problem?

Craig Sheppard
01-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Have you ever just tried "I got 'em this time you get 'em next time"? Most people with any people skills or sense whatsoever realize what "fair" is... if one guy brings them all the time, maybe the other guy should start breaking some open. I've played for about 15 years now and this hasn't really ever been a problem...

01-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Craig Sheppard, you make a good point. But what happens if you are regulary playing with a person who you can beat with them only taking one, two or three games off you at most and may beat you one in 50 matches and that is only because you were not concentrating. Clearly that person is below your standard.

Or the situtation may not be that extreme. Maybe you just want to play a better player but your current partner is below you by a little bit and you know you will beat that person if you concentrate on any day.

In these cases, it would only be fair if the weaker player pay the costs.

Deuce
01-31-2005, 12:49 AM
"In these cases, it would only be fair if the weaker player pay the costs."

Fair? Umm.. no - that would be called exploiting a circumstance for personal gain. Can also be accurately described as 'pompous' and 'arrogant' - i.e. "I'm better than you, so you should pay to play with me."

Your head is spinning the wrong way, bud...

01-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Deuce, what about people (sometimes coaches themselves) who offer cheaper rates to have a hit only (no coaching included)?

In the situation I described, I have only covered my costs and have not gained at all.

Plus you have to admit that serious players would wish to practice with someone who is a tad better than themselves? But if everyone was like that than no tennis can occur at all! So what I proposed was one solution of overcoming this problem.

If I was the weaker player than I think it would be fair for me to pay the ball costs (it would save me more than from having a hit with these coaches). Otherwise, I will feel kind of guilty if I was to play with this person often and lose (pretty much) every time. This is a good way for the weaker player to show a token of appreciation to the better player.

So the ideal situtation would be for both players to play similar and you might have something close to 50-50 win/loss with both players sharing the costs of the balls over the long run.

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't understand where you're coming from here. Last time I checked it takes 2 people to play some tennis... and in that normal case, each person has chosen to be on court... so each person is equally responsible for balls, court fees, or whatever (assuming you're not buddies or something which then do whatever).

In every match, practice, or whatever one person is usually better than the other. There's nothing "owed" by the lesser player, and nothing to be gained by better player. If you don't think it's worth your time to be out there, don't play with the dude anymore. You two should just thank god (or whoever) you're able to get outside on a nice day and that your legs and arms work well enough to let you play...

EDIT: If you're talking about playing with a certified pro or club professional, then none of this applies. Before taking court, you need to determine the arrangements about court time, hourly rate, etc.

Gaines Hillix
01-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Craig, I couldn't agree more. 123 sounds like someone who really doesn't want to play with someone "below" him in their preceived pecking order. Assuming that the player with lesser skills owes the better player something for the "priviledge" of hitting with them is sort of arrogant, IMO. A teaching pro always supplies the balls, in my experience.

GuyPerez
01-31-2005, 10:35 AM
We always get by on the share responsibility rule - like with drinks at the bar. I get some, you get some, etc. It works out.

Hey, maybe the better player should always get the balls. That way it takes the edge off the ***-kicking thay are about to dish out. "Well, I got drubbed, but at least it did not cost me any balls!" LOL

scez
01-31-2005, 01:23 PM
How often should you open a new case of balls? Around how many hours? I found that my balls would last me a rather long time, but the last case I used only lasted me around 3-4 hours. Maybe because I used to keep my balls in my garage which made them cool which would make them not bounce. I fixed that quickly.

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2005, 01:48 PM
How often should you open a new case of balls? Around how many hours? I found that my balls would last me a rather long time, but the last case I used only lasted me around 3-4 hours. Maybe because I used to keep my balls in my garage which made them cool which would make them not bounce. I fixed that quickly.

A *CASE* in 3-4 hours? Holy cow scez you're a monster. You must absolutely rip the fuzz of the ball. You must go through strings like crazy! (a case is 24 cans... ;-) j/k...)

A can lasts me about 2 sets w/ Wilson or Penns, then they're shot. I can get a solid 3 set match + a few hitting sessions out of Dunlop balls. They really are quality. But if I'm ever playing a match that means anything I open a fresh can. If a buddy and i go out and hit and decide to play a set, I don't bother...

ibemadskillzz
01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
u shoul take turns buying them. this is fair and fun for both. both happy

scez
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Well I think the main reason is that they got screwed up because they were cold, so I had to warm them up and they played well. But the next time when I used them, when they were not cold (learned my lesson) they were dead. But when I used a different ball they worked fine, and they were cold the other week to.

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I am playing sometimes round-robbin leagues, no hope to see a guy again.

When calling him, I suggest each of us buy a can.

At the time of the match, we make a separate draw for the balls. The loser has his balls used, and he keeps them.

For say 15 matches in a round robin league, chances are you'll pay 50-50.

I am using Dunlop Championship hard court balls, very good bounce and last well. I am using can of 3 in a match and about 6hrs of training afterwards.

scez
01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
you replace your balls every 2 sets? That sounds crazy to me. How hard do you play?

tennis4you
02-02-2005, 11:03 AM
$2.00 per can. I usually buy 5-8 cans each time I go and I keep them in my tennis bag. I usually only grab a can of balls every other time. It works out just fine.

Back in college I used to string the racquets and they brought the balls, that worked out well too.

Scott Baker
**********.com

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
you replace your balls every 2 sets? That sounds crazy to me. How hard do you play?
You know the standard Wilson Championship or Penn balls right? At the end of a match there's no more fuzz left. They're little green bald tennis balls. They're not really flat, they're just worn out. They just don't last. They're ok to hit with and practice some but I wouldn't want to play 2 matches w/ one can, unless I beat the dude 0 & 0 or something.

How hard? Oh I play like Sampras and Federer put together, what do you think? baaaaaaaaaaahahh j/k I'm just a 4.5 player, nothing unusual. Some people have told me I hit heavy balls though, so maybe that's why non-Dunlop balls wear out more. Really, Dunlop balls are THAT much better, they're in a different league of quality.

Marius_Hancu
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Really, Dunlop balls are THAT much better, they're in a different league of quality.

Including jump. So much so, that I know people who refuse to play with them, being used to the low standard of ordinary Penns.

tennis4you
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Even in high school tennis the players can agree to have a new can of balls for a 3rd set if the HS has enough cans. At the 4.5 level I like to have a new can for the third set if it is allowed.

norcal
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Including jump. So much so, that I know people who refuse to play with them, being used to the low standard of ordinary Penns.
Don't you guys find Dunlops to be quite a bit 'harder' than Penn balls? Dunlops last longer but I like the feel of Penn's a lot more. Pro Penns especially. Regular Wilson's become bald way to fast.

As for who supplies the balls, if it is your turn don't show up with one of those damn yellow pressurizer cans and say, 'oh these are in great shape'. I will take my pen knife and put a couple holes in 'em when you're not looking and say, 'guess you need to open a new can'.

jayserinos99
02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I always tend to bring a new can every time I go to the courts. For some odd reason a lot of people will still use balls that are in horrible condition (have been played with for over 3 sets, somewhat flat) and I end up opening up a new can.

I don't understand how people can spend a lot of money on their sticks, strings, shoes, clothing, bags, etc. and not buy a case of balls.

scez
02-03-2005, 06:27 PM
wow, only three sets. Around what ntrp level should you be to need to replace your balls that often?