PDA

View Full Version : Head Heavy vs Head Light

activentures
01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Does anyone know who uses head heavy and who uses head light? and to what degree? Read that Roddick uses head heavy and wondered what others use.

Serve-And-Volley
01-31-2005, 05:37 AM
Davenport and Todd Martain's racquet if they are not customized are head heavy. I read the same thing about Andy Roddick. I really am not a fan of head heavy racquet even though they give a little extra pop on the groundies and serves. I like head light racquet because they are easy to manuver at the net and ease to generate lots of head speed.

degreefanlindi
01-31-2005, 05:43 AM
I am not sure which use HH or HL. I know the ProStaff models usually used are HL versions...I think the Williams sisters use mostly HH racquets though. The Hammer is HH correct?
Personally, I am with serve-and-volley...I agree HL racquets are more manueverable.

barry
01-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Watching the A.O over the week, I noticed most of the players have a lot of lot tape at the top of their rackets, which would make them head heavy. An earlier post, Sampras added an ounce to the top of his racket, which made the serve faster and racket very head heavy.
Myself I think head heavy rackets are easier on the wrist and shoulders.

PrestigeClassic
01-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Sampras didn't have quite an ounce added to the tip. More like 10-20g depending on how much was needed to match swingweight. It's still a lot, and even Sampras had his sticks counterweighed with heavy handles. I think head-heavy rackets are worse on the wrist and shoulders because such a racket's center of gravity will move the handle more upon impact, and what's attached to the handle? Imagine a hammer flying through the air. And, all the shock generated is definitely not absorbed by a mass-less handle but rather your hand.

Davenport and Martin appear to use the same mold as for the Hammer 6.2. Materials, lay-up, flex, mass, balance, and swingweight, however, are probably all different. They don't have to settle for what Wilson puts out on retail.

barry
01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
PrestigeClassic
I used to believe big servers used a head light racket until I was at a tournament and handled couple of the frames. They were head heavy, the player told me he could generate about 10 mph more speed by adding lead tape to the head and the frame was a lot more stable.
He suggested I try it and see for myself. I did and yes, it increased my serving speed by 10 to 15 mph and the frame was more stable.
Makes sense to have the weight at contact point not in the handle.

LordRaceR
01-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I think that head heavy isn’t that good for you arm, but too much head light isn’t that good for performance. I like Tour90 because it is head light but heavy enough mass in the hoop. I removed leather grip and put two over grips and put some lead in 12 o’clock to make it a little bit less head light and its great and I like it.

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Sampras didn't have quite an ounce added to the tip. More like 10-20g depending on how much was needed to match swingweight.

His rackets were quite evenly balanced. 393g, strung, thus a lot in the top at 9 and 3, but also in the handle.

Nate was his stringer:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/9908NateFerguson.html
"It is a stiff racquet, has a very small head size, weighs nearly 400 grams/14 ounces and is strung with gut at around 75 lbs."

PrestigeClassic
01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Right, in Nate's discussion board on the old site, he said the balance, and as I recall, it was around 33 cm, or a few points headlight.

Marius_Hancu
01-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Right, in Nate's discussion board on the old site, he said the balance, and as I recall, it was around 33 cm, or a few points headlight.

A PERHAPS more accurate figure I have from an Italian tennis journal which reviewed Sampras's racket in 1999:

Weight 393g, balance 32.3cm from the grip.

The weight from a third source is at 389g, from another stringer, now located in Montreal, who worked for Pete for a year in the 90s.

As far as I know, those were strung.

I have 3 such 6.0 rackets, customized by myself, all about 405-410g, lead only in top at 3 and 9 (about 40g, 9 layers in Gamma lead tape, or 4layers in Babolat lead tape, double as thick, about 5in in length each segment of tape, just like Pete, I mean from the pictures), balance 33cm from the grip, thus a little bit headlight. Nothing in the handle (tried, could not fix the lead there, thus generating vibrations).

perfmode
01-31-2005, 08:25 PM
Watching the A.O over the week, I noticed most of the players have a lot of lot tape at the top of their rackets, which would make them head heavy. An earlier post, Sampras added an ounce to the top of his racket, which made the serve faster and racket very head heavy.
Myself I think head heavy rackets are easier on the wrist and shoulders.

Wrong. Sampras used an even balanced 85 @ 14oz. Most pros who put lead high also counter balance. Some pros do actually play HH. Moya is one of them.

barry
02-01-2005, 04:02 AM
Perfmode

Only know what I see and read on Sampras. Guess you have handled his frames, so you could be right.
Point of discussion is head heavy rackets allow for harder and faster serving. Makes sense when the weight on an object is at the strike point.
Golf and baseball are classic examples. Putting lead tape at 3 & 9 and moving the weight to the head is what I see on most pro players rackets.
After handling a few, I am a believer.

BLiND
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Very interesting read about his racquets.

Alex
02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I heard/read from old forum that Carlos Moya's Babolat Pure Drive is extremely HEAD HEAVY. That probably explained why his strokes are soo powerful.

Not sure how many point head-heaby, but know that it is really super head-heavy. If interested, you can do a search at the old forum.

Cheers.....