PDA

View Full Version : Rising Tide of Obesity!

chess9
08-21-2008, 04:14 AM
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/tb/10604

"An estimated two-thirds of the entire U.S. adult population is overweight or obese, and an estimated 23 million children fall into one of the two categories. The report did not measure obesity rates of children."

-Robert

maximo
08-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Nice article, it's going to get much worse i think.

10sfreak
08-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I heard on the radio today that Georgia is 11th in the country in overweight/obesity rates. From what I can see around me, I'd say it's a bit higher than that, probably closer to 3/4 or 4/5. And I'm being serious!

Headshotterer
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Because ignorant people like stuffing themselves with fat ;/

wyutani
08-21-2008, 04:57 PM
i think ppl must go thru forced military service. kinda like my country. cool. lose fat and the army pays for it.

LuckyR
08-21-2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/Obesity/tb/10604

"An estimated two-thirds of the entire U.S. adult population is overweight or obese, and an estimated 23 million children fall into one of the two categories. The report did not measure obesity rates of children."

-Robert

It will be interesting to see in the following decades when a huge proportion of individuals are dramatically overweight, if the "classic" Hollywood media ideal of beauty will still be prevalent, since if it is, fewer and fewer guys will be actually able to get one.

cncretecwbo
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I plan on being overweight soon :)

seriously, how is 6 feet and 185lbs overweight?

iphoneman
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
must be easy for an average weight guy to get a girl in the states

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-21-2008, 08:20 PM
If congress doesn't man (and woman) up and fight Big Fast Food, we're all gonna die! (except for the HMO's who became filthy rich off of us.)

SystemicAnomaly
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Because ignorant people like stuffing themselves with fat ;/

No, it's not as simple as this at all. While many people may consume too fat, it is likely that more of the excess calories in the North American diet are coming from an overconsumption of sugars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar#Obesity). Unfortunately, when it comes it convenient, readily available foods, processed and fast foods are often the cheaper, more accessible option. Calorie-dense foods such as soft drinks and other junk foods are a large part of the problem.

The food industry and the policies of the government are a very significant part of the obesity and health problems in this part of the world. The average American is noticeably much more obese than they were in the 1960s & 1970s largely due to changes in the content of our food.

The other side of the coin is the decreased levels of physical activity in the past 2 or 3 decades. Physical education requirements in schools are much more lax than they have been in the past. People are spending more time in front of computers and GameBoys rather than engaging in physical activity. It is obvious that modern kids are not outside playing as much as kids of yesteryear.

chess9
08-22-2008, 02:05 AM

It depends on your build. If you are big boned, with a dense muscle set, and low body fat % then you could be underweight. :) If you are an average guy who was 155 lbs at age 18, your body fat is probably closer to 18-20%. Anyway, it's all about body fat%, not weight, and not BMI.

To excel in sports, being lean is preferable unless you are in the water. (check out the water polo players)

-Robert

albino smurf
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm going to be surfing on the undulating tide of all of those gigantic bellies. Body surfing for the new millenium.

jgn1013
08-22-2008, 09:00 AM
The food industry and the policies of the government are a very significant part of the obesity and health problems in this part of the world. The average American is noticeably much more obese than they were in the 1960s & 1970s largely due to changes in the content of our food.

here we go blaming others for people being fat. hey no one is forcing you to consume unhealthy food.

Serve em Up
08-22-2008, 09:00 AM
It's very simple. They are eating more ( and bad stuff at that) and exercising less.

Obesity is almost an entirley voluntary behavioral problem. Once again, it's not about education. People know fast food makes you fat, they know exercise burns calories and is good for you. They choose the obese lifestyle.

chess9
08-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Well, it's a bit insidious, like cigarette smoking. You can't have just one double cheeseburger. You soon find that driving past Mickey Dees is impossible without at least grabbing a quick coke and large fries.

Before you know it, you are 300 lbs with diabetes, heart disease, a walker, and oxygen 24/7. And you are 40.

The average age for a man to have a heart attack is 42 and DROPPING.

-Robert

LuckyR
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
here we go blaming others for people being fat. hey no one is forcing you to consume unhealthy food.

You are correct for individuals but naive in the impact on large populations. If the average value of wages drops and the average workweek increases, there will be consequences on average in the amount of exercise performed and quality of food consumed. Blame the victim all you want, but that is the reality.

lawlitssoo1n
08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
i think ppl must go thru forced military service. kinda like my country. cool. lose fat and the army pays for it.

yea, but its not because ur government want ur country to lose weight, it for you to serve ur country

albino smurf
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
why not spell out your? you spelled out you? hell you even spelled out government. WTF?

chess9
08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
why not spell out your? you spelled out you? hell you even spelled out government. WTF?

Fat fingers? ;)

-Robert

Noaler
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Are people really fat these days? I know in my grade level, only like 18 people are fat.

SuperJimmy
08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
What kind of metric was used to determine these figures? For example, at one point, Lance Armstrong while training for the Tour de France, was considered overweight by the BMI. So I do get a little skeptical sometimes about what these numbers really mean.

In general, I am in the camp that it is personal responsibility. I've grown pretty sick and tired of people pointing the finger everywhere else and never to themselves. It completely blows my mind that people try to sue fast food places for making them fat. Oh really? You didn't think the large fries, large soda, double cheeseburger, and ice cream would make you fat? Replacing all of that with spinich, an orange and water costs less than half of that, and you could finish cooking the spinich in the same amount of time it takes to get through the drive-thru. The difference is it doesn't taste as good. A brief google on some numbers (didn't work to verify the sources, but just to throw some numbers out there)...98% of household buy ice cream and the average person consumes about 24 quarts a year. Is ice cream that necessary? The average person consumes just over 1 can of soda a day...something wrong with water? Is it necessary to put Half&Half in your coffee instead of fat free or drinking it black? In all these cases, they are opting for an option that tastes better. Well there's a saying that you can't have your cake and eat it too (let alone having seconds, thirds, fourths, etc). No one said being in good shape and acceptable weight didn't require sacrifices, hard work, and determination.

The industry is doing some things to help people out. Attempting to eliminate the use of transfat. Reporting the calorie values for their food (I've actually seen first hand where this changed people's behavior after seeing some meals at chain restaurants listed at 1500+ calories!). Of course the industry can do more, but there is only so much babying and hand holding an industry should be expected to do before it's time to say..."it's on you now".

PS - Before anyone tries to throw that "they don't have enough time" excuse at me. I work 50+ hours a week in the high tech industry, I also go to grad school in engineering part time at a university (not online). During school year, my schedule is booked pretty much 8am-10pm seven days a week. I know what's possible and what isn't. Does it suck? A little. Am I complaining? No, because in the end, it is I who choses my lifestyle.

SystemicAnomaly
08-22-2008, 04:50 PM

You are way off base here. I happen to be 5'11' and a mere 170 lbs. I presented the food industry & govt policies as one of several factors contributing to obesity in America.

Because of the food industry in the US and govt policies regarding food content, I really need to keep myself educated and have to carefully scrutinize the labeling on food that I eat. Many ppl in North America are just not all that savvy about the food that is available . Many do not realize that many of our food options are not as healthy as they would first appear.

wyutani
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM
yea, but its not because ur government want ur country to lose weight, it for you to serve ur country

why must you see the glass as half empty? have you heard of killing two birds wif one stone?:)

nereis
08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
America's portions are massive. Not to mention the food is unusually cheap compared to the rest of the world. Plus the car culture promotes a sedentary lifestyle. So what happens is that the entire population is polarised. On one end of the spectrum you have the ultra fit, motivated and health knowledgable people, and on the other is the 'average joe,' getting ever fatter as he laments his seemingly uncontrollable predicament. What the average joe doesn't know, is that simply a little willpower and tenacity at finding the facts and how to implement the information, will easily add ten years to his lifespan.

albino smurf
08-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Is it necessary to put Half&Half in your coffee instead of fat free

Yes. Fat free does not mean less claories and most times is worse for you and harder for your body to process than the real deal. A lot of people link the marketing of fat free and diet products to the explosion in the obesity rates in this country. Average joe thinks that they are doing something good for themselves when really they are loading up on tons of sugars instead of natural fats.

Marketing by the food industries needs to be held accountable for part of the problem, peoples ignorant consumption habits for the rest.

chess9
08-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes, sugar and other high glycemic carbs are evil. Most natural fats, in moderation, are ok. It's the trans fats that are really bad, like hydrogenated vegetable oil.

-Robert

10sfreak
08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
^^^I agree with this post, but would like to add "high-fructose corn syrup" to the top of the list of villains.

WildVolley
08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
It's silly, but a lot of people are convinced that if you eat fats it will somehow immediately convert into fat deposit in your body. I've always had a fairly high fat diet, and I'm still rail thin into my 30s. And I'm not killing myself by doing hours of exercise every day.

Sugars and carbs can easily be converted into fat in your body.

The right fats are very important to your overall health. Even the much maligned cholesterol is necessary for health. Statistics show having cholesterol levels that are too low is just as strong a signal of premature mortality as having a very high cholesterol level.

cncretecwbo
08-24-2008, 03:12 AM
any excess calories can be converted to fats

malakas
08-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Yes. Fat free does not mean less claories and most times is worse for you and harder for your body to process than the real deal. A lot of people link the marketing of fat free and diet products to the explosion in the obesity rates in this country. Average joe thinks that they are doing something good for themselves when really they are loading up on tons of sugars instead of natural fats.

Marketing by the food industries needs to be held accountable for part of the problem, peoples ignorant consumption habits for the rest.

Not only this,but many companies use extremely small portions to mark their products as fat free or diet.Always check in the label what the company means as portion.

I think that ourselves are not the only one to blame for this.But in the end blaming won't do any good.More healthy options should be readily available to consumers.Healthy food should become cheaper.I only buy healthy foods now,and I spend like 50% more than when I used to buy the double that but mostly junk.Most people can hardly afford that.
In schools children must be properly educated on proper nutrition!If you learn what fast food does to you,chances are you will be more reluctant to eat it.

NineMileSkid
05-24-2010, 07:16 AM

According to your BMI number, you are only about 1 pound overweight.

I wouldn't sweat it.

KenC
05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
It's not just the US where obesity is on the rise. Northern Europe has an obesity problem as well, and even "healthy food" countries like Italy are starting to show a noticeable increase in obesity. When I first started visiting Italy I was shocked at how there were these massive sections for fresh produce and just a small corner for potato chips and such in the grocery stores. Well, over 15 years later and the produce area is much smaller and there is a whole aisle set aside just for chips, and another for soda. Then there's the sweet snacks aisle. Then the worst is all the precooked and frozen, ready to heat and serve foods in the last 10 years or so.

Let me put it in other terms. It's no longer a treat to walk along the Italian beaches.... In fact, walking along the beach is enough to kill my appetite nowadays.

And why is it that every time I see a fat kid he has a half-eaten ice cream cone in his hand and his mother is already unwrapping the next one?

LeeD
05-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Ha ha...
I just started dating a Georgia girl, just 20 miles N of Atlanta (where she's from). 5'9" and 120 lbs. Naturally, she eats like a tiny bird.
I seem almost fat at 5'11" and 150, but my % fat is much lower, as I sink like a stone even in salt water...:):)

El Diablo
05-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Obesity may be an outgrowth of the development of modern contraception, beginning with "The Pill" in 1960. The pill freed women from unwanted pregnancies, which allowed them to enter career paths in numbers never before seen, which led to the demand for fast and convenience foods since nobody was home to cook. The pill is used somewhat less in Italy but somehow Italien women have achieved one of the lowest fertility rates in the world through other methods of contraception, and have similarly become more prevalent in the workforce. Japan, which also has an extremely low fertility rates, is also reporting a dramatic rise in obesity in recent years.

r2473
05-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Obesity may be an outgrowth of the development of modern contraception, beginning with "The Pill" in 1960. The pill freed women from unwanted pregnancies, which allowed them to enter career paths in numbers never before seen, which led to the demand for fast and convenience foods since nobody was home to cook. The pill is used somewhat less in Italy but somehow Italien women have achieved one of the lowest fertility rates in the world through other methods of contraception, and have similarly become more prevalent in the workforce. Japan, which also has an extremely low fertility rates, is also reporting a dramatic rise in obesity in recent years.

My wife and I both work full-time yet "miraculously" still find time to cook when we get home.

FYI, one can easily cook nice meals in 30 min to an hour (at most). It isn't really that people lack time, what they lack is the skill, knowledge, and preparation (having things on hand) necessary to execute a meal efficiently.

I am amazed that VERY FEW people our age (we are mid-30's) have even basic cooking skills OR any desire to learn. Younger people are even worse. Cooking something at home (that doesn't come out of a box or a bag) is so foreign to the generation following us (20 somthings).

Remember when your mom could just "whip something up" when unexpected company came or you came home from school unannounced, etc. My wife and I are like this. We both have enough "stock" recipes in our repertoire that we can kick something out from scratch in for sure less than an hour (usually less than 30 minutes). And I'm not talking about a hamburger either (though I do make some very nice burgers).

Personally, I despise most restaurant food. It is overpriced garbage. Most of the "taste" in the food is "greasy fat". I like high fat foods, but I like "butter, olive oil, and cream" fat.

We only go out to eat when we want good food, not just for convenience sake. It is simply a lifestyle choice.

People will blame any number of things for the problems in their lives. I have found that most of the time "the things that they complain about are things they could be changin'" (to quote a "well known" song (that probably nobody knows)).

http://www.poemhunter.com/song/to-beat-the-devil/

If you waste your time a-talking to the people who don’t listen
To the things that you are saying who do you think’s going to hear?
And if you should die explaining how the things that they complain about
Are things they could be changing, who d’you think’s goin’ to care?

There were other lonely singers in a world turned deaf and blind who
Were crucified for what they tried to show,
And their voices have been scattered by the swirling winds of time,
’cause the truth remains that no-one wants to know!

El Diablo
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Lawyers say "bad cases make for bad law." The rest of us say "no intelligent person extrapolates from one atypical example to the world at large." I'm delighted that you and your wife make time to cook; yes, we know it CAN be done, but fewer and fewer people are doing it, which was the point.

r2473
05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Lawyers say "bad cases make for bad law." The rest of us say "no intelligent person extrapolates from one atypical example to the world at large." I'm delighted that you and your wife make time to cook; yes, we know it CAN be done, but fewer and fewer people are doing it, which was the point.

No, I'm saying that "lack of time" is not the reason.

The reason is people did not bother to learn (were not taught) how to cook.

I don't buy the "I'm just too busy to do X" where X = "what I know I should be doing but I'm just too lazy".

To buy your argument, you would have to also say that my wife and I (both working full time) are somehow "less busy" than other couples in the same situation. I don't really understand how this argument would play out. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Yes, of course you are right about what people are doing. I'm just saying that the cause (postulated as "lack of time") is incorrect. Instead the MAIN cause is "lack of skill" and "lack of preparation" and simply "no desire to".

The arguments are fundamentally different.

Don't get me wrong, I could care less what choices others make and how they choose to prioritize their lives. Everyone is free to do as they choose. But don't tell me that "I don't have time to cook decent, healthy meals". Certainly this is true sometimes, but I wager that (if these people had proper skill and preparation), these cases would in fact be the minority.

I guess my main point is that cooking is a basic life skill that everyone should know. I think in the not so distant past, most households (often women) did know how to cook (and would have been embarrassed to not know). In some sense you are right. With more women working, I have found that many households look on cooking as a chore that is simply beneath them. But at the same time the same people talk about how great home cooked meals are and, "gee, if I only had time to do that".

So you are right, the main reason is a shift in culture and our values. But I still maintain that lack of time is not the primary reason (despite the fact that we all believe this myth).

jswinf
05-24-2010, 10:55 AM
( I have found that most of the time "the things that they complain about are things they could be changin'" (to quote a "well known" song (that probably nobody knows)).

]

That's just an insult to a Kris Kristofferson fan. "I ain't sayin' I beat the devil, but I drank his beer for nothin'. Then I stole his song." Don't need your stinking link either.

Kind of funny y'all dig up a 2-year old obesity thread to chew the fat about.

jswinf
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Ha ha...
I just started dating a Georgia girl, just 20 miles N of Atlanta (where she's from). 5'9" and 120 lbs. Naturally, she eats like a tiny bird.
I seem almost fat at 5'11" and 150, but my % fat is much lower, as I sink like a stone even in salt water...:):)

Be a good idea to learn to swim.

r2473
05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
That's just an insult to a Kris Kristofferson fan. "I ain't sayin' I beat the devil, but I drank his beer for nothin'. Then I stole his song." Don't need your stinking link either.

Nice. I said it was a famous song. I still doubted if people would recognize it.

SystemicAnomaly
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Kind of funny y'all dig up a 2-year old obesity thread to chew the fat about.

It appears that someone else dug up the 2-yr old thread, not r2473.

jswinf
05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
No offense intended to r2473, he was a good sport about my Kristofferson crack with Leathal Weapon overtones.

dennis1188
05-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey, you can see plenty of "fat people" now in HK, Kowloon,Macau; as well, as over on 'mainland' China.
Plenty of 'bad' eating habits w/ the new China wealthy economy.
BTW PRC only three million actually in the current army (population is approx. 3 billion).
Very little time for exercise for the younger generation , it is serious 'party-time' all night now.

Life is short, so party-on now, tennis later. cheers.