PDA

View Full Version : ASO or McDavid Ankle Brace

jollyfan
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Which one is better or more practical with the same result, ASO or McDavid Ankle Brace? Thanks for any advise!

dcottrill
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Which one is better or more practical with the same result, ASO or McDavid Ankle Brace? Thanks for any advise!

I've never used the McDavid brace, so I can't speak to that. But, my experience with the ASO brace has been great. Given my history of ankle issues, I wouldn't step onto a court without them. I got them here:

http://www.esportshealth.com/

sn1974
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
i use an ASO brace whenever i play. it offers good stabilization and it fits over my sock without causing any shoe fit problems. all the lacing and velcro is a little annoying but i guess that's what makes it work.

i seem to recall from when i was researching that someone said ASO and McDavid were identical.

volusiano
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I have the McDavid brace model 195. It's not exactly identical to the ASO, but it's virtually the same by design. I went with it because it's cheaper than the ASO.

lawlitssoo1n
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I've never used the McDavid brace, so I can't speak to that. But, my experience with the ASO brace has been great. Given my history of ankle issues, I wouldn't step onto a court without them. I got them here:

http://www.esportshealth.com/

i wish i can know what model it is, im sort of intersted! cuz the ankle braces i bought are just trash

SystemicAnomaly
08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not all that familiar with specific ankle braces. Consideration should be given to compression -- probably as important as rest and ice. If your ankle brace provides inadequate compression, then it would probably be best to use an ace (bandage) wrap for compression. The ace wrap can be used underneath the brace.

GraphiteMachete
08-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Have you checked out Swede-O brand of braces? I use the Ankle Loc model and it works best for my peroneal tendonitis.

atatu
08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
ASO is my first choice, then the Donjoy rocketsock

flynhawaiian
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
do you guys wear them on both feet or just one? Rofl I just had an injury this last weekend. I know better to wear my brace but don't. Thoughts on wearing it on both or just 1?

dtd82
08-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I used the McDavid brace...got it at SA.....worked great - better then my ankle!

zacinnc78
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
i got a mcdavid ultralight saturday and it made a horrible blister on the top of my foot after one use :cry: anybody else had this happen?

Julieta
08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
i got a mcdavid ultralight saturday and it made a horrible blister on the top of my foot after one use :cry: anybody else had this happen?

I have...from ASOs but I get blisters very easily. It's better to wear it around first at home before playing, make sure you have a good sock that covers everything and put something like Body Glide (used for wet suits) or vaseline on the area.

zacinnc78
08-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I have...from ASOs but I get blisters very easily. It's better to wear it around first at home before playing, make sure you have a good sock that covers everything and put something like Body Glide (used for wet suits) or vaseline on the area.

thank you ma'am ....i was also wondering about trimming some of the material off the front part of it and make it shorter up the foot....know what i mean?

bigfoot910
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
From a very experienced ankle roller...too many times to count until I got good braces (used many of them):

I wouldn't do that... I know it sounds stupid, but by even taking off some of the brace, you are altering the way it was designed to work/support, and braces are not a thing that you really want to be finagling with...

If you look on the side of the package it came in, it says that this product can and alot of times DOES cause blisters until the brace is fully broken in, depending on level of play ~3-4 outings worth.

I agree with the suggestion of wearing the brace around the house to break it in and definitely use some of the body glide, it can be found at SA right next to the braces. If this doesn't work try some second skin over the spot.

Hope this works for you!

zacinnc78
09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
to add to this post ive worn the brace a few times since and no more blisters!im thinking maybe i should have got a size smaller tho....i got large and have to pull em as tight as possible to feel much bracing FWIW

mrmo1115
01-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I am not really a fan of the ankle brace, but I have tried the ASO and it works well. Never tried the McDavid ankle brace, so my vote is obviously to the ASO, but it isn't a good reliable answer from me, because I have only tried one of the two options.

pro_staff
01-02-2009, 11:10 PM
They have the same design and do the same job. The tongue on the ASO is made of different material though. It's softer and more comfortable. Other than that, they're the same. If you think that's worth the extra ten bucks, then go for the ASO.

ximian
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I use Kallasy braces, and they work wonders. Better than ASO in my opinion, although they are comparable. I think Michael Chang used Kallasy when he was on tour.

Very Western
01-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I have used both the ASO and the McDavid ankle braces for years. They are both excellent products, and have saved my ankles more times than I care to remember. IMO the construction of the the ASO is of slightly higher quality (the elastic, which is always the first part to wear out, is slightly thicker on the ASO).

You can't go wrong with either of them to be honest.

P.S. To those players who experienced blisters with the braces, I would recommend combining them with Thorlo socks.

Best regards,

V.W.

Alexio92
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
What are Aircast ankle brace's like?

joshyli
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I've had both McDavids and ASOs. I have to say that both in terms of comfort and stability, the ASOs work better.

The McDavids (195s or comparable) are really uncomfortable in the fore-foot area - even when broken in whereas the ASOs are minimalistic in the fore-foot area which allows it to fit into the shoe better.

You'll also find that ASOs are more stable (with the stays) because the stays are positioned closer to the center/back of the ankle which is where you need the most support for sprains whereas the McDavids' supports are too close to the front of the foot.

dennis1188
09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I have the McDavid brace model 195. It's not exactly identical to the ASO, but it's virtually the same by design. I went with it because it's cheaper than the ASO.

I agree with the above . I used the McDavid for my right ankle only ( for 2 yrs). Now i'm able to play w/o the brace.