PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Tendon Dislocation

jollyfan
08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I've had my right ankle tendon dislocated from a vehicle accident more than 7 yrs ago and just didn't mind the popping and occassional pain, until I played intense tennis for 2 straight weeks and the pain has been nagging me. Got an MRI and the podiatrist advise on trying out an ankle brace whenever I play for the next 6-8 weeks, afterwhich if I still feel pain, he's suggesting going for surgery to repair and put the tendon back in place. This may put me up to 3 months of no tennis to rehab. Please advise if the brace will do for long term or if I need surgery. Thanks!

mdrew9
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
What do we know? Use the brace for 6-8 weeks if it works then stick with it and avoid surgery. If not, get surgery. No one here will be able to make the decision for you.

LuckyR
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I've had my right ankle tendon dislocated from a vehicle accident more than 7 yrs ago and just didn't mind the popping and occassional pain, until I played intense tennis for 2 straight weeks and the pain has been nagging me. Got an MRI and the podiatrist advise on trying out an ankle brace whenever I play for the next 6-8 weeks, afterwhich if I still feel pain, he's suggesting going for surgery to repair and put the tendon back in place. This may put me up to 3 months of no tennis to rehab. Please advise if the brace will do for long term or if I need surgery. Thanks!

What is your age?

jollyfan
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
34 tomorrow :)

Has anyone had ankle surgery in this forum? What's the realistic recovery period before I could get back on court? Any possible side effects or complications?

ollinger
08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Any possible side effects or complications? It's SURGERY. The answer is always yes and yes.

LuckyR
08-21-2008, 05:08 PM
34 tomorrow :)

Hmmm... you are in an inbetween age. Add 10 yrs and this sort of thing would be expected, no need for surgery (for pain, I would for weakness though). Subtract 10 years and I would get surgery for sure, since you would get more than a decade's worth of improved output.

For where you are in your life, you would have to decide on what your activity goals are and weigh that against the known downside of the procedure. Sort of a toss up. Ask your surgeon more questions...

El Diablo
08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
You need to use your head a bit more. "Intense tennis for two straight weeks" seems foolish with your type of injury. Time to start playing not more than three times a week, then re-evaluate how you feel and whether you need surgery. Count on at least several months of recovery.

albino smurf
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Happy Birthday. A buddy of mine had this and had the surgery with no problems other than usual PT time off, etc. I say play a bit less and chop chop come early winter/late fall with plenty of time for recovery.

I am however a little drunk and not a doctor so take that for what its worth.

GraphiteMachete
08-22-2008, 05:38 AM
4 months ago, while trying to reach a drop shot, I landed on my left leg and felt some discomfort in ankle/foot. Pain got worse within next 2 weeks and got diagnosed with peroneal tendonitis. While physical therapy and pain killer medication made it bearable, the problem persisted.

Last night, again I landed on my left leg while trying to reach a drop shot and felt similar discomfort. While I felt pain immediately after the incident, later that night and today my leg has been almost pain free. Not even the pain/discomfort that used to be there before last night. This is insane. I am puzzled.

I think the tendons shifted location during the first incident and relocated to the original position last night. I can't think of any other explanation.

LuckyR
08-22-2008, 09:16 AM
4 months ago, while trying to reach a drop shot, I landed on my left leg and felt some discomfort in ankle/foot. Pain got worse within next 2 weeks and got diagnosed with peroneal tendonitis. While physical therapy and pain killer medication made it bearable, the problem persisted.

Last night, again I landed on my left leg while trying to reach a drop shot and felt similar discomfort. While I felt pain immediately after the incident, later that night and today my leg has been almost pain free. Not even the pain/discomfort that used to be there before last night. This is insane. I am puzzled.

I think the tendons shifted location during the first incident and relocated to the original position last night. I can't think of any other explanation.

Congratulations, you are now a Chiropractor!! Your degree will be mailed to you within 3 weeks...

albino smurf
08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Chop off your foot and get a pirate peg leg. Arrrrr.