PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young's racket?

nate_malone
08-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Some people say it is the Head Microgel Radical Mid-plus and others say it is another Head racket with a paintjob. Which is it?

JediMindTrick
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Didn't he say he is using the "old blue one"? (PT 630)

Motherwasp
08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah i think i saw on here it's a PT630 PJ with CAPS

Spinmasterj
08-21-2008, 04:54 PM
ya another poster i believe asked him about it at a tourney and he made the comment about the old blue one

JW10S
08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
ya another poster i believe asked him about it at a tourney and he made the comment about the old blue oneI believe that took place last year. This year DY has been playing with racquets that do not have cap gromments but standard MG Radical bumper guards & gromments. The word I got, although admittedly it is just hearsay even though it came from a well connected source I trust, is that when DY re-signed with HEAD earlier this year he began using a MG Radical (or variation thereof).

OleNole
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I just saw him practice in New Haven a week ago and I'm pretty sure he was using a real MG radical mp. At the very least he's not/no longer using the pt630.

lpicken
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
..is usually flying through the air.

OnyxZ28
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Watching Blake vs Young -- his new stick definitely doesn't have CAPS.

saram
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Didn't he say he is using the "old blue one"? (PT 630)

Yes, he told me that last year in person in a challenger in Louisville. Good memory.

saram
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I believe that took place last year. This year DY has been playing with racquets that do not have cap gromments but standard MG Radical bumper guards & gromments. The word I got, although admittedly it is just hearsay even though it came from a well connected source I trust, is that when DY re-signed with HEAD earlier this year he began using a MG Radical (or variation thereof).

He told me last year in Louisville he was using the "old blue one"...not sure if that applies to this year or not, as he had no lead on his stick when I held it last year around October/November. Now, he has about five inches of lead at 3 and 9.

shell
08-26-2008, 04:14 AM
And, of all things, a Shockbuster worm dampener :) I don't think I have ever seen another pro use one before.

Blade0324
08-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Watching him in the match against Blake the throat and head of the stick don't look consistant with the PT280/630. Head size looks bigger and the throat is more open.

Sean Dugan
08-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Agree that the racket didn't have CAPS and the worm dampener was quite funny. Donald actually broke a string last night. Seems like players rarely break strings anymore. He may have switched to another frame since last year.

The stringerss who string his rackets could probably tell you for sure. The people who provide the rackets for the ATP players at Head could tell you. Since custom layups exist, how would you ever know for certain what a given player is swinging unless you are directly involved in the process?

vsgut
08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
He told me last year in Louisville he was using the "old blue one"...not sure if that applies to this year or not, as he had no lead on his stick when I held it last year around October/November. Now, he has about five inches of lead at 3 and 9.

The lead was underneath the bumperguard at the time and silicone in the handle at that time. He did not want lead showing.

Now he has lead underneath the guard and long strips on the side with silicone in the handle.

His mains are Gamma Zo, crosses vary

Nanshiki
08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Given his age I think there's a decent chance it's not a paint job.

IMO, the younger the player, the more likely they're using what they say they're using.

Blade0324
08-27-2008, 06:04 AM
I don't buy that the strings are Gamma Zo. When he broke a string the other night they showed a closeup of his frame with the broken string laying on top of his bag and it looked like ALU to me.

Steve F.
08-27-2008, 06:13 AM
I don't buy that the strings are Gamma Zo. When he broke a string the other night they showed a closeup of his frame with the broken string laying on top of his bag and it looked like ALU to me.

Ah... you mean it looked like this (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-GZOP.html)? ;)

ear_lobe
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
This is an easy one. Head Pro Tour 280.

duso
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
No, its a MG Radical, and its an OS

saram
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
No, its a MG Radical, and its an OS

The one I held of DY's was not an OS. It was an MP.

vsgut
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
How do you know this?

I have done his customizing and stringing off and on for the past few years.
I did his racquets at the US Clay Courts and Memphis.

Look at my old posts

18gauge
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Look at my old posts

Do you know if they're 27" or longer? Also, any idea static weight and balance point. Thx in advance...

18gauge
09-06-2008, 12:50 AM

Look at my old posts

I notice in an old post that you won't reveal the "stats" for his rackets. Seems a bit weird - most other stringers/customizers aren't so guarded.

If racket companies didn't reduce the consumer to a scavenger, no one would even care.

Why even bother posting when you provide no information to back up your claims? You could use the time to work on taking yourself a bit more seriously...:)