PDA

View Full Version : To Strech Or Not To .. If Yes, How To ?

rk_sports
08-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Read this article on Stretching - http://tennisworld.typepad.com/the_healthy_player/2008/08/studies-on-stre.html

Just want to start a discussion here ...

Please mention these along with your thoughts -

Type: Recreational or College or Professional Player
# of times you play per week:
Stretch Before / Type: Yes or No / Dynamic/Static
Stretch After / Type: Yes or No / Dynamic/Static

Here are mine -
Type: Recreational
# of times you play per week: 3
Stretch Before / Type: Yes / Static
Stretch After / Type: No / No

When I do more stretching and wear compression shorts, my problem area groin has been behaving much better.

SystemicAnomaly
08-22-2008, 02:03 AM
We've had a quite a bit of discussion in other threads on dynamic versus static stretching. I have done a considerable amount of research & reading on the subject. Numerous studies in the past 2 decades appear to indicate that dynamic stretching, as part of a dynamic warm-up, is optimal just prior to exercise for performance considerations.

When competing, there are 2 optimal times for static stretching. One of these times, is after competing (or after exercise) -- as part of a cool down. The other time is to perform static stretching prior to the dynamic warm-up. In order to recover from reduction in power or performance, static stretching should be done at least 30 minutes prior to competition. If extensive static stretching is required, then doing so 60 minutes prior to competition may be a better idea.

I have not engaged in much structured competition since the mid-90s, so most of my tennis these days could be classified as recreational (but still competitive for the most part). I perform dynamic stretches 5 to 7 days a week. I engage in static stretching only 2 or 3 times a week. The static stretches are usually done at home before leaving for the gym or the courts. I will occasionally also perform some static stretches after exercise.

Kobble
08-22-2008, 02:18 AM

# of times: Currently not playing, but used to be 3 times a week.

Stretch before: No

Stretch after: No

I don't follow any rigid scientific protocal to warmup, or cool down. Probably, due to not having much on the line. Currently, I just stretch my hamstrings at least three times per week using static and sometimes PNF. I don't really have a sense of urgency to get super flexible, so I cut back on PNF in the last 6 months. PNF does work well, though. I would stand by the research that it is the fastest way to improve range of motion. My present routine is to do at least 3 sets of stretches for a given muscle holding the stretch for 20 seconds, and moving further each set.

tbini87
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
played JC tennis and did plenty of static and dynamic stretching. we would do static stretching, then dynamic, then practice. after practice we would do static stretching again. very long and boring, but probably worth it at the competitive level.

now that i just play recreationally (though still pretty seriously) i usually just do a short dynamic warm up with a few static stretches thrown in. i have a bad lower back which makes my legs really stiff, so i sometimes have to work all that out before playing. i don't do any cool down or sretching afterwards (too lazy... maybe i should start that soon...).

rk_sports
08-23-2008, 12:27 AM
extensive research is on as we discuss..

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/health/nutrition/07Best.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1219389254-viRerThKsw+zIir5vyFRNw

has anyone participated here ? - http://www.usatf.org/stretchStudy/

I don't qualify :( .. since I dont run 10 miles a week

Rickson
08-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Warm up before you play and static stretch after a cooldown which comes after competition. Stretching before a match can cause injuries so save the stretching for after.

sn1974
08-24-2008, 06:09 AM
# of times you play per week: 3 - 4 per week, 6 - 8 hours per week
Stretch Before / Type: Yes, Dynamic
Stretch After / Type: No. but Yoga a couple of times a week.

i feel like there's a lot about stretching i don't know about...

rk_sports
08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Warm up before you play and static stretch after a cooldown which comes after competition. Stretching before a match can cause injuries so save the stretching for after.

"Stretching before a match can cause injuries" ...hmm.. really? is that your personal observation or based on research?

SystemicAnomaly
08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
"Stretching before a match can cause injuries" ...hmm.. really? is that your personal observation or based on research?

I don't know if there are any studies that conclusively bear this out. There are several studies that have concluded that static stretching just prior competition or other exercise does not appear to prevent injuries.

On the other hand, I have heard anecdotal evidence from some pro sport teams that certain pre-game static stretches can increase the likelihood of injury for those sports.

rk_sports
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know if there are any studies that conclusively bear this out. There are several studies that have concluded that static stretching just prior competition or other exercise does not appear to prevent injuries.

On the other hand, I have heard anecdotal evidence from some pro sport teams that certain pre-game static stretches can increase the likelihood of injury for those sports.

So, is dynamic stretching before the game ok?

Rickson
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I only pass on what I learn. I used to take Shotokan as a teen and I was able to do a full split at the time, but not before a little bit of stretching on the mat. Back in those days, we all believed that stretching before an athletic outing prevented injuries so we all did it. I will say that whether it's true or not that stretching beforehand hurts your performance, I was able to kick higher and more effectively after I stretched so honestly, I don't know for sure if stretching before a match or a bout hurts your performance.

FastFreddy
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Its a waste of time it has never been proven in a double blind controlled study that it reduces injury or prevent them or improves sport perfromance.
Get a massage twice a day like Pistol Pete aleast you will be relaxed and recovered. I would opt for a light active warmup 60% of your hr to get rid of the days before stiffness. Spend the time instead on strength training or speed work or just put your feet up on a wall. I seen more people hurt themsleves stretching a cold muscle. I go back to the days of Anderson stretching and the latest pnf or active iso.

SystemicAnomaly
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
So, is dynamic stretching before the game ok?

Absolutely. Have you checked out the dynamic warmup routines presented by the USTA High Performance Player Development program? If not, try a search -- I've provided 2 or 3 links to their pages in several other threads. They include dynamic stretching as part of a dynamic warmup. The USTA program suggests static stretching after tennis.

A number of experts have recently suggested that static stretches might be more effective if performed prior to exercise or competition. However, in order to maximize power &/or performance, this static stretching routine should be done some 30 to 60 minutes before competition or strenuous exercise. They can be performed again as part of a cool-down routine after tennis.

albino smurf
09-03-2008, 07:16 AM
# of times you play per week: 5-6
Stretch Before / Type: Yes, both
Stretch After / Type: Yes, both

I am a firm believer in stretching before and after playing or any type of exercise. More after but def some prior to getting at it. At 37 y.o. I don't think I could play as much or as intensely as I do without it.

GPB
09-03-2008, 07:24 AM
# of times you play per week: 2
Stretch Before / Type: Yes / Dynamic
Stretch After / Type: Yes / Static

But I never stretch a LOT, just a little here and there.

FloridaAG
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Not sure about you people - but if I don't stretch before hand, there is no question that I will be sore after playing.

Rickson
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Stretching before a match is not recommended. Warming up is strongly recommended i.e. a light jog around the court. Stretch after the match, but not during or before.

r2473
09-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Stretching before a match is not recommended. Warming up is strongly recommended i.e. a light jog around the court. Stretch after the match, but not during or before.

That's pretty good advice.

When I was running, I would usually jog about 800m to a mile before I started my workout. Depending on how I felt after the warm-up, I may or may not do some light stretching.

However, I always stretched after my workout (or I really paid for it with stiffness and painful cramps).

RanchDressing
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Stretching before you warm up is key. Prevents injury.
Dont stretch unless you can warm up for at least 5-10 min if you are playing a big match, because stretching temporarily weakens the muscle.
A trick you do to build your biceps is stretch your triceps (which are like an over protective mother to the biceps) so they dont limit the excersise/strain on your bicep. I have successfully gained about 1.3 inches on my bicep in under a month using that technique.

Rickson
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Stretching before a match will not prevent injuries.

click here (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa022102a.htm)

Jtillinghast
09-08-2008, 08:26 PM
dont do lateral stretching instead just some high knees and high kicks and stuff like that. it is better for warming up muscles