PDA

View Full Version : newbie xbox live question...

tenniskid3119
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I just bought an xbox 360 2 days ago along with a new tv, and was wondering if there is anyway to get hookup xbox live in my room if i dont have a internet hookup?? is there some type adapter that can plug into a normal outlet or regular phone outlet??

thanks

DizBoiDanny
08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
i have my xbox 360 in my room, but i have a internet wire to the xbox. I think you can do wi-fi but im not sure. Just buy a LONG wire and hook it up to your internet source and to your xbox

Ignorant Genius
08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Yep. Microsoft makes a wireless Xbox adaptor, Linksys makes one too.

abenguyen
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
does your home have an internet connection? if you do, do you have high speed interent or something of the sort? the easiest way to get an Ethernet cable and plug one end into your xbox and the other into your router(the box that is your internet connection)

another option, though expensive, is to buy a wireless network adapter, though expensive, it works great. i bought one and don't regret it at all. plus you won't have an ethernet cord running around your house.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/default.htm

that is the link to the adaptor good luck!

tenniskid3119
08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks guys. but i have one more question. I bought a used xbox that came without a hardrive, so i bought an external hardrive to save stuff on but whenever i plug it into any of the usb ports its not recognized?? what am i doing wrong??

Ignorant Genius
08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
thanks guys. but i have one more question. I bought a used xbox that came without a hardrive, so i bought an external hardrive to save stuff on but whenever i plug it into any of the usb ports its not recognized?? what am i doing wrong??

You bought an external hard drive. That's where you went wrong.

tenniskid3119
08-22-2008, 09:59 AM
^^^^^^^^ but why does it not work?? i tried to save money by buying something with more gigs but it still doesnt work...

Ignorant Genius
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
^^^^^^^^ but why does it not work?? i tried to save money by buying something with more gigs but it still doesnt work...

Look at the support section on xbox.com. They might have an answer there. I've never tried to hook up an external drive to an Xbox 360 since I bought one with an attached drive.

waxnator
08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm sure you can transfer music and stuff but you can't save games or anything on the external drive.

Microsoft doesn't want you to get a good deal on just any regular hard drive. You have to buy their overpriced, undersized drive.

hollywood9826
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Im pretty sure that unless you hack the 360 you have to use the actual 360 HDs. They are probably coded or formatted some special way so that an external will not be supported.

As far as the network issues take a look at this page http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters.aspx

for other brands you can look here as well http://www.homeplug.org/kshowcase/view

those should let you turn a power outlet into an ethernet port.

DizBoiDanny
08-22-2008, 08:21 PM
or go to e b a y and buy the harddrive there

edberg505
08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm sure you can transfer music and stuff but you can't save games or anything on the external drive.

Microsoft doesn't want you to get a good deal on just any regular hard drive. You have to buy their overpriced, undersized drive.

LOL, that is exactly right. Good ole Microsoft.

abenguyen
08-23-2008, 09:24 AM
yea an external hard drive probably won't work. just find one of microsofts hard drives for it cheap on e bay or a mazon and get it. best bet