PDA

View Full Version : Safe to use Babolat PC after using Wilson PS 6.1 for years?

matchpoints
03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Got credit at the pro shop. my PS 6.1 classics are about 6-8 years old and DEAD. Gonna play the futures in June and need new sticks badly.

Should I even bother trying the Babolat Pure Drive? or just go ahead and get the PC's?

I've hit with both before and liked the PC better.

I've seen the PC with red at the head and also one with black. I hear there is a weight difference. Any other differences?

Thanks.

tarheelbornjohn
03-29-2004, 04:24 AM
From my persective the Bab PD are not any good, just hype. I would goo with the PS, especially if you are happy with the sweetspot of the PS. You will need to add alot of lead in the PD. Look the PD is 11.1 oz strung and 6 pts head light. The PS 6.1 Classic is 12.6 oz and 11pts hl. If you are going to get the PS to 13oz with lead you will still have it at 7pts hl justing adding lead to the 3 and 9 spots. You are going to have to add 52 grams of lead to the PD.

Ronaldo
03-29-2004, 06:12 AM
matchpoints, the older, heavier PC really was a nice alternative to the PSC 6.1. Any thoughts on using the HPS 6.1 matched in weight and balance to your older 6.1s? IMHO, it may be preferable to both the PSC 6.1 or PC.

kreative
03-29-2004, 10:50 AM
as a prior ps classic 6.1 user, i thought the PC played very similarly w/ some extra pop on groundies, but a little less touch, especially on vollies. I didn't get any shoulder soreness from the PC like I did w/ the 6.1 thou. The PC is more like a modern "player's racquet", kind of a classic feel, but good pop.

PD is a little light, so it could use some weight. It's more "tweenerish" giving more pop, but I really like the spin I'm able to generate from it along w/ the pace i get.

If you like the PC, then you should go w/ that. I felt that the PC std 97" was better than the MP 100" which was lighter and felt more unstable.

larrhall
03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Go with the older version of the PC; 97" and standard length. You will be fine. Good luck.

matchpoints
03-29-2004, 10:58 AM
the older version? they still make them? how do i tell which is which?

30 - 15 is my ad
03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
I think the PC blows away the Wilson.

jayserinos99
03-29-2004, 11:45 PM
i always thought that the pc was designed to be a clone of the psc 6.1?

matchpoints
03-30-2004, 12:06 AM
For some reason I'm thinking about trying the Pure Drive again also.

I'll just have to try to demo both sticks this week and bring some lead tape with me.

ucd_ace
03-30-2004, 05:14 AM
I think it's best to demo some racquets. This is obviously one of the biggest decisions you have to make in tennis so why not demo the racquets and get a better idea for yourself of what options are out there. If you liked your PS 6.1 maybe you should try the HPS 6.1; if your interested in a PC, maybe you should demo the Pure Control along with it.

I just don't think that you should rush a decision like this so quickly. Take your time and figure out what stick is right for you. There have been several racquets that I played with casually that were my team mates and thought that they were great and then demoed them and thought they were horrible. I think the most important thing is that you go back to your PS 6.1 after hitting with the demos and see how it feels. Again, I demoed some racquets and thought that two of them were the greatest, but when I went back to hitting with my racquet it turned out that I played best with that. Good luck.

matchpoints
03-30-2004, 09:02 PM
well, it's jsut that i have to use a Babolat because that's all that's available in that shop. My PS 6.1's are all hitting differently since i bought them all from different people 6 years ago (or more).

So it's either the Pure Drive or the Pure Control. Either way, i already have lead tape to put on them during demo time since they are both light for me.

Thanks for the comments fellas.