PDA

View Full Version : how can i get fit

tennisVS
08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
without having wieghts at home. I'm 15 and don't have acsess to a gym so what are things i can do to get fitter? I am currently 5'7 and 118 pounds.

xtrakewl
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
run !!!!!!!........

tennisVS
08-22-2008, 11:18 AM
run !!!!!!!........

ok how long would you suggest and is bike riding fine?

COME ON!
08-22-2008, 11:19 AM
do push ups
crunches
dips

you can even curl a bag filled with heavy books

maximo
08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
bike riding is only good if you do it for a very very long time or theres no point. just go running. :)

Headshotterer
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
jump roping
each jump burns .1 calorie

rk_sports
08-23-2008, 12:46 AM
jump roping
each jump burns .1 calorie

seriously?

wyutani
08-23-2008, 01:02 AM
first, go for a run, not those easy 3km run, those 10km ones, dun cheat by stopping cos i can see you.

skipping helps. push ups, free. go play tennis too. but get fit to play tennis, not play tennis to keep fit.

after reading this, shut the computer and go run. u'll get fit faster.

ATIRagePro
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Long distance running is your friend. Don't go all out. 50% speed is just fine. Just do it for an extended period of time. If you wanna work out cardio, run faster, and if you just wanna burn fat, run slower but do it for a longer period of time.

willgonase10
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I say running is a good work out. I would work out your legs as much as possible. You don't want to much muscle in the upper body except for the stomach area which gives you core strength which is VERY important.

Working out won't make you any faster on the court. You must be smart with your movement and have strong legs.

Run a lot and lay off the weights.

ClayisFun
09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Let me ask you, when was the last time you ran 10km on a tennis court? Tennis is about explosive movement over a short distance over and over with short breaks in between.
You can run all you like, but you still won't be tennis fit.
Read this: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/energysystems.html
There is a chart that details the energy systems used in sports. You'll notice that tennis is only about 10% long term endurance. You should focus on doing short sprints w/ little rest, interval training, improving your explosiveness, etc..
For example, find a big field. Take something heavy that you can throw. Start at one end of the field and throw the thing. Sprint to it and repeat until you've gone 100 yards or so. Vary the way you throw the object, backwards, from between your legs, sideways, etc. You'll get a much more tennis specific workout that way.

TennisProdigy
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
one word Creyatin

sawedust
09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
one word Creyatin

Creatine, you mean?

Great supplement, especially in its monohydrate form. Should help you build muscle as well.

As far as getting fit and having no weights at home, may I suggest you try the P90x program? It's been highly advertised as of late (it's starting to annoy me) but I can vouch for its authenticity in getting you fit.

The only thing I bought was a set of heavy duty resistance bands that I picked up at Wal-Mart. The rest deals with body weight exercises that will push you to your max if you're willing to commit.

It basically consists of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (or pull-downs if you have resistance bands), lunges, wall squats, etc etc. Very basic stuff that you can do with a simple pair of resistance bands, a wall, and yourself.

Your body build is very much similar to mine, I believe. Somewhat lanky, but has the potential for an ecto-mesomorph type of body when cut and fit.

I've been working on P90x for quite some time now, and I can start to see and feel the results. My endurance on the tennis court is greatly improving, and so is my footwork and power.

So if you don't have a gym and don't have weights, just head over to your local big box store and grab some resistance bands for $8 or so. Go get the P90x program (legally, I hope) and watch yourself transform.

And no, I do not work for Beachbody or any of its subsidiaries, but IMO their product works. It's definitely given me a boost in and outside of tennis.

Give it a try!

AlpineCadet
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Make sure you layer on your clothing, also wear baggy pants. No dieting/exercising required.

0range
09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
do push ups
crunches
dips

you can even curl a bag filled with heavy books

Those are good workouts for your chest/ab/arm muscles, but if you over do it you might develope muscle imbalance as you need to work your upper/lower back and leg muscles too.

At your age, just play lots of sports at school, stretch plenty, and eat well.

btw 5'7 and 118lbs? r u male or female? I'm the same height but I'm slightly heavier than you...