PDA

View Full Version : Please help serious shoulder pain!!

Trev343
08-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey guys,

I just came across my second serious tennis injury. Shoulder pain. Here's the bio on me. 17 Years old, tall, thin, been playing almost a year, SW Grip, One handed backhand.
Well I just got my ball machine in a week ago and I took it for a hit. Also when coming out I though to used a closed stance on my forheands and point my racquet butt at the ball. I was hitting as hard as I could, and then I got a high ball that I swung down on. Then came a slight pain. As I continued to fight through the pain it only grew. I decided to call it a day and hope better next time. After 5 minutes the injury flared back up today. Forehands and serve's were very painful.
Here is a picture of where my injury is.
http://pain.health-info.org/Pain%20Pages/shoulder.htm
The second picture, around the bottom outside of the shoulder blade, or what ever those to bones are that stick out of your back. :)

So my questions are if you can answer them

What kind of injury is this?
Should I see the doctor?
Would lifting weights solve this?
How long will this keep me out?

I appreciate any attempt of an helpful answer very much. Please answer ASAP cause I really want to go play tennis!

Deuces!

mrw
08-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Tough to say what is damaged. I would first, lay off tennis for a bit, Ice is good, light stretching is mandatory and if you have health insurance, a trip to the Dr. for a check is in order.

I am 54 and also have a ball machine. I have found that it is best to keep it's usage to a minimum because it allows you to hit more balls in an hour than you would hit in two matches. Factor in pressureless balls and the damage that can occur is magnified.

With luck, a bit of rest will return your shoulder to normal.

chess9
08-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Take a week off tennis. Rest. Try some anti-inflammatory drugs, like ibuprofen for a few days. If after a week you aren't better, take another week off. If you still aren't better, go see an orthopedic surgeon.

-Robert

lawlitssoo1n
08-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Hm... i sort of had the same problem, it is the ball machine, the ball machine is feeding the ball way to fast. I used to use semi-western, racket strung at 70 lbs, my wrist and shoulder was dying, so try resting for a bit, don't hit with the ball machine for a week, play with actual people