PDA

View Full Version : Ipod vs mp3 - which is better for workout?

VamosRafa
08-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I have been working out at the gym and want to get a device where I can listen to music and also use the FM radio to tune into the stations for the TV sets around the gym. I would like something small and easy to use. The last one I owned was a AM/FM/Cassette Walkman, but technology has changed quite a bit since then. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

snoopy
08-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Buy a Sansa Clip. It has an Fm radio plus you can fit lots of mp3s on it.

The 2 gb version which can hold nearly 400 songs (assuming they are 128 kbs) is only $50 on amazon. The 1 gb version is even cheaper.

It's small and easy to use. Just drag and drop songs using windows media player.

If you're totally technology illiterate you may run into a few bumps. I had to do a little tinkering with mine. For example, you have to install the latest firmware for the player.

swimntennis
08-23-2008, 09:04 AM
The iPod Shuffle (http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/) is a great device. It's foolproof to set up and use, it clips to anywhere, and comes in both 1 GB ($49) and 2 GB ($69) variations. However, it doesn't have an FM Tuner in it. If that's a necessity, I don't know off hand what to offer.

snoopy
08-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I have a shuffle as well and I like the clip better.

The clip has many advantages over the shuffle:

- fm tuner
- there's a screen so u can see what your listening to
- you can delete songs directly from the player without plugging it in
- you don't need the proprietary docking station that the shuffle requires
- you can set up lots of folders (but you don't have to)
- it's cheaper - 2 gb = $50, 1 gb = $35
- it has a larger clip than the shuffle

I like the shuffle it's very nice and simple. But the clip offers so much more and does it well at a lower price.

albino smurf
08-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I like being bale ot have total control of what I'm listening to while exercising vs. radio with commercials or songs I don't want to hear. Plus shuffles rock.

snoopy
08-23-2008, 09:22 AM
You have more control with a clip than u do with a shuffle.

VamosRafa
08-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions. The FM tuner is important so I can watch and listen to the news when I work out on the stairmaster early in the morning. I probably won't listen to the radio much.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Get a Zune. You can steal music from other Zunes then. :twisted:

JRstriker12
08-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Buy a Sansa Clip. It has an Fm radio plus you can fit lots of mp3s on it.

The 2 gb version which can hold nearly 400 songs (assuming they are 128 kbs) is only $50 on amazon. The 1 gb version is even cheaper.

It's small and easy to use. Just drag and drop songs using windows media player.

If you're totally technology illiterate you may run into a few bumps. I had to do a little tinkering with mine. For example, you have to install the latest firmware for the player.

I have a Sansa clip too. great for works outs and the gym, its tiny, easy to use, light, and it's cheap so if you accidentally break it while working out, you haven't wasted $200.

If you want something for outside of the gym, general use, I would go with something like and ipod or an ipod-clone.

sstchur
08-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Zune all the way!

Sleek, stylish, competitively priced. Great Podcast support and wireless sync + a Zune Pass (unlimited music) make Zune the undisputed best IMO.

Gmedlo
08-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Hate to say it, but you aren't working out hard enough or efficiently if you can or are listening to music through earphones while working out.

xtrakewl
08-23-2008, 12:46 PM
get an ipod touch

VamosRafa
08-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Hate to say it, but you aren't working out hard enough or efficiently if you can or are listening to music through earphones while working out.

*lol* Well, I am not exactly training for the Olympics. Just trying to burn a few calories and tone up a bit. And I think it is tailor made for the treadmill and such. Wouldn't work too well for my step class, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Sansa Clip may be just the ticket for what I need. I read some reviews and, for the price, it seems perfect for the task. Thanks, Snoopy. I will come back and let you all know how it works out and if I have any tech issues with it.

swimntennis
08-23-2008, 03:29 PM
get an ipod touch

While I have one and it is an awesome device, this is definitely the last music player the OP would want for what they need. The lack of physical buttons makes it a bad work-out companion.

Zune all the way!

Sleek, stylish, competitively priced. Great Podcast support and wireless sync + a Zune Pass (unlimited music) make Zune the undisputed best IMO.

Likewise, I don't believe the Zune to be a good choice either. They don't work on Macs, they use a circular touch pad instead of physical buttons (like an iPod Shuffle or Sansa Clip), and they're twice the cost of the shuffle/clip.

OP: I hope you make a good choice. :)

JRstriker12
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM

As long as you don't work out on the runway of an airport or aren't one of those dudes who needs to yell during every rep, there's no reason why you can't have an intense work out and listen to music.

There have even been studies that show the benefits of listening to music and exercising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/fashion/10fitness.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99556&page=1
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78018
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=music.on.the.go&conitem=d9b85ae142396010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____

Music is great for interval sprints, weightlifting, etc.

Gmedlo
08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
As long as you don't work out on the runway of an airport or aren't one of those dudes who needs to yell during every rep, there's no reason why you can't have an intense work out and listen to music.

There have even been studies that show the benefits of listening to music and exercising.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/fashion/10fitness.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99556&page=1
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78018
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=music.on.the.go&conitem=d9b85ae142396010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____

Music is great for interval sprints, weightlifting, etc.

Interesting studies, thanks for the links. I may try something the next time I lift, but I don't think I could stand lifting with earphones on, I'll probably use speakers or something.

VamosRafa
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Quick follow up. I got the Sansa Clip, 2 GB. It was about $50 at Circuit City, and I paid $10 for the two-year warranty. If it breaks, I can get a new replacement.

I have found it fairly easy to use. The tough part was downloading songs. The device itself wasn't the problem; it was finding a site (I ended up with Rhapsody), and then figuring out how to download. But I did manage it, and I really like having only songs I like on my workout playlist. I enjoyed listening to them just going for a walk with my dog.

The only issue I can see is that the earphone plug does not fit snuggly into the unit. It comes loose quite easily and I suspect it will fall out during workouts. Snoopy, is this a problem you have experienced? I think it may be a defect. And do you recharge the unit on your computer or did you buy an adaptor? How long does it stay charged for?

Thanks again for all your help. It saved me lots of time in figuring out what to buy.

swimntennis
08-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Quick follow up. I got the Sansa Clip, 2 GB. It was about $50 at Circuit City, and I paid $10 for the two-year warranty. If it breaks, I can get a new replacement.

I have found it fairly easy to use. The tough part was downloading songs. The device itself wasn't the problem; it was finding a site (I ended up with Rhapsody), and then figuring out how to download. But I did manage it, and I really like having only songs I like on my workout playlist. I enjoyed listening to them just going for a walk with my dog.

The only issue I can see is that the earphone plug does not fit snuggly into the unit. It comes loose quite easily and I suspect it will fall out during workouts. Snoopy, is this a problem you have experienced? I think it may be a defect. And do you recharge the unit on your computer or did you buy an adaptor? How long does it stay charged for?

Thanks again for all your help. It saved me lots of time in figuring out what to buy.

The charging & adaptor questions could probably be answered on Google.

Is the headphone jack problem the headphones or the jack they are put into? Try a different pair of headphones and see if the problem is fixed. If not, it may be defective.

snoopy
08-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't had the problem you describe. The ear phones that come with the clip are really cheap and will definitely not stay in your ear for a serious workout or jog.

I use the following ear phones:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-Headphones-Non-Slip-Design/dp/B00006JILW/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

These ear phones aren't for audiophiles, they don't produce impeccable sound. However, I find them great for exercising. They don't come loose from your ear and they aren't uncomfortable.

I charge my clip using my pc. I just plug it in whenever I'm on the computer which is often. If you travel or don't use your computer a lot the adapter might be for you.

The 2 year warranty doesn't sound like a bad deal but you'll probably lose the clip before the warranty expires. My brother is on his 3rd clip, he just keeps loosing them b/c they are so small.

snoopy
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I forgot to answer your question about the charge.

I don't really have a problem with battery life b/c, as I said, I usually just plug it in when I'm on my pc. If you don't charge the clip often and you want to maximize the power, make sure you don't have the display on all the time. I think you can set the display to shut down after a certain number of seconds.

JRstriker12
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM

The Clip charges whenever you connect it to the PC with the USB/mini-USB cable that comes with the clip.

Actually, I think you are making loading songs onto the clip more complicated that it really is. I use Windows media player - it's real easy, just use the create a list that you want to load onto the clip and use the "synch" feature to load it up. You can even use windows explorer to do it - just drag and drop.

As for buying songs, I just rip all my CD's to MP3's and put them onto my clip. I also buy a few tracks here and there from Amazon. I like that most of Amazon's Mp3's are pretty cheap and they don't have funky DRM complications to deal with. Not a fan of rhapsody - don't you rent their songs/services?????

VamosRafa
08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks, snoopy. I think the problem is the jack. I tried another headset and it has the same issue. I am going to take it back. I REALLY want the challenge of getting all those songs on a new unit. *lol*

My Blackberry charger works for the device, so I should be set for recharging.

I know what you mean about losing it. I can see that happening. But if I can keep the headphones attached, there is less likelihood of that. And I can turn it in if it starts to act up. I have seen how nice that is with cell phones.

I agree re this headset. I will try out your recommendation. I do appreciate all your assistance.

migjam
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Another option, which I just went to is I purchased a LG Dare. Now I can carry all of my mp3's as well as my phone with one device.

VamosRafa
08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
The Clip charges whenever you connect it to the PC with the USB/mini-USB cable that comes with the clip.

Actually, I think you are making loading songs onto the clip more complicated that it really is. I use Windows media player - it's real easy, just use the create a list that you want to load onto the clip and use the "synch" feature to load it up. You can even use windows explorer to do it - just drag and drop.

As for buying songs, I just rip all my CD's to MP3's and put them onto my clip. I also buy a few tracks here and there from Amazon. I like that most of Amazon's Mp3's are pretty cheap and they don't have funky DRM complications to deal with. Not a fan of rhapsody - don't you rent their songs/services?????

Thanks for these points. I am positive that I'm making things more complicated than they need to be, but this is something I haven't done before. I don't have any music on my computer at present, and the songs I want to use aren't on any CD's that I have. I'm sure I'll find a better way if need be, but most likely I won't be adding songs that much. Just will get some good workout tunes on there and be happy with that.

JRstriker12
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for these points. I am positive that I'm making things more complicated than they need to be, but this is something I haven't done before. I don't have any music on my computer at present, and the songs I want to use aren't on any CD's that I have. I'm sure I'll find a better way if need be, but most likely I won't be adding songs that much. Just will get some good workout tunes on there and be happy with that.

Cool - I'm sure you'll love your clip. I'm about tot head to the gym right now and with mine.

Later.

ojingoh
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Get a zune 4 GB. The Zune store is not so good, but more and more stores are going 'Free' (no DRM) so that's less important now. Ripping is easy. It has an FM radio and can play back videos. Battery life is good, around 30 hours.

stormholloway
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM

Absolutely ridiculous.

Gmedlo
08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Absolutely ridiculous.

How so? (ten chars)

UnPhzD
08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
just get a zune... bigger screen, fm radio, music, movies, etc blah blah buy the 2nd gen zune

VamosRafa
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Update. I got a replacement Sansa clip, and the headset plug is MUCH better. The other one plainly was defective. I used it at my workout today and it was great. Very convenient. I am going to look at a new headset, too. Thanks again, everyone!