PDA

View Full Version : Centre court, Arthur Ashe Stadium, Rod Laver Stadium...

Tenny
01-31-2005, 12:29 PM
I have a question about those main center courts or even other big courts. How are they used off season (not during its open time)? Especially Wimbledon courts needs lot of maintenance. Not to mention those main courts, what about other courts? Are they open to the public? Just curious.

Brian Purdie
01-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Wimbledon just recently allowed its top juniors to play on Ctr Court after the tournament is over as part of some exhibition, but it was otherwise closed.

I've heard Rod Laver is the most accessable of the 4, and that ordinary people like us are allowed.

I've heard the US Open is totally off limits, and that the USTA is quite rude about it.

No idea about RG, but is used for Davis Cup play quite often.

Noelle
01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
I know that in the off-season only the chairman of the British LTA is allowed to play on Wimbledon's centre court.

Tenny
01-31-2005, 06:56 PM
I know that in the off-season only the chairman of the British LTA is allowed to play on Wimbledon's centre court.

So, they are basically off-limit for (a year-2weeks)? How about the outside court? Are they more accessible?

galain
02-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Rod Laver is used as a stadium for concerts and shows and such. I'm not sure if it stays surfaced once the Australian Open is over, but I've never seen anyone in there, and Melbourne Park is my local centre. All the major stadium courts (Margaret Court Arena, courts 2,3 and 4) are available for public use though.

AndrewD
02-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Galain, unless they've changed things in the last few years you were able to book to play on centre court but it did cost quite a bit. When we used to hit there it was only corporate tennis functions that were on centre or someone with the cash to burn. Of course that did depend if it was being used for anything else at the time. I'd be curious to know if they still do rent it out.

Might be wrong but dont you need to be a member to play at Wimbledon ?