PDA

View Full Version : Nadal USO08 Outfit

lukarf
08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Take a look at this pictures.
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/82508333.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB085D4AE32050D9B74 49AAE4E13EDE9114
These are Roger and Rafa at the meeting with Don King.
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_054_aakd.jpg
These are both players at the Arthur Ashe Kids' Day

In both pictures Roger is wearing his matches outfit.
So Rafa is supposed to do the same.
And if you take a look to the 2nd pic you will see the whole customized outfit for the spaniard, shoes included.

Could it be that Rafa switched from sleeveless before the Spring 09 collection?
Probably Nike decided to start a Rafa line like Rog one at the 07 USO, sincve it's not avaiable in common stores.
And it looks like they chose same colours as Adidas.

BTW I started this thread just for curiosity, I'm not a Nadal fan who wants to have all his outfits. XD

Mansewerz
08-23-2008, 02:06 PM
It seems like they're trying to market Nadal like they did Federer.

iphoneman
08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
it doesnt suit nadal, they are taking away the style of fed, i dont like that

tournaking
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
This outfit is almost identical to federer's. The polo has in a way become Federer's style, although Nadal's polo does look appealing.

TMCW140
08-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I noticed this in the paper this morning. Nike seem to have always made a thing of showing off their pro's outfits in the press conferences leading up to the slams, so i wouldn't be surprised if this was Rafa's new outfit. Especially because of the Olympics almost using the Fall line of clothing, thereby allowing for an extra range to be added. Maybe they're using this as an opportunity to gage the reaction to a switch in styles for Nadal.

bluescreen
08-23-2008, 03:50 PM
im diggin' the new RF hat. the red lettering looks nice.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-23-2008, 04:09 PM
i dont think it looks bad. the shorts rafa got on look better then his capris. i noticed as the years go on the clothes gets tighter lol

Daniel68
08-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Imagine Federer in sleeveless. I say Fed and Nadal switch clothing styles for the US Open

JRstriker12
08-23-2008, 04:56 PM
The Rafa outfit looks good - like the orange with blue highlights/bands. Reminds me of the Dutch soccer kits.

Still, I just can't see him playing in that in the US open for some reason (I'm prob wrong though). Nadal is too agro for a polo. I can see a crew or sleeveless, but he looks to toned down in the polo.

tennisVS
08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/82508333.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19368FFB0B613D6DEB085D4AE32050D9B74 49AAE4E13EDE9114

And if you take a look to the 2nd pic you will see the whole customized outfit for the spaniard, shoes included.

Probably Nike decided to start a Rafa line like Rog one at the 07 USO, sincve it's not avaiable in common stores.

BTW I started this thread just for curiosity, I'm not a Nadal fan who wants to have all his outfits. XD

AI personally think that this looks great on him it really is better than the sleevless ones in my mind. Just me though.

ubel
08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
i dont think it looks bad. the shorts rafa got on look better then his capris. i noticed as the years go on the clothes gets tighter lol
Probably a mark of class.. Tailored suits and whatnot, no?

Gotta say, though, as much as Fed looks like the shirt is right for him, tell me I'm not alone in thinking Nadal couldn't look more out of place in his polo heh </metrosexuality>

federer envies me
08-23-2008, 05:42 PM

nadal looks weird with out his sleeveless shirts

10sfreak
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't think Nadal looks right in his new outfit. Roger's outfits have always fit him - very classy looking outfits. Rafa's have always fit him - kind of a rough, macho type look (except for the capris - those are for girls!:-)). I'm not saying that Rafa doesn't have class or anything, just that those tame looking outfits don't suit him or his playing style, IMHO.

Nadal_Freak
08-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't think Nadal looks right in his new outfit. Roger's outfits have always fit him - very classy looking outfits. Rafa's have always fit him - kind of a rough, macho type look (except for the capris - those are for girls!:-)). I'm not saying that Rafa doesn't have class or anything, just that those tame looking outfits don't suit him or his playing style, IMHO.
Agreed. He should go back to sleeveless shirts.

urbo73
08-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Imagine Federer in sleeveless. I say Fed and Nadal switch clothing styles for the US Open

Well I agree. Since they swapped #1 and #2, they should also swap clothing styles. No?

JoshDragon
08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Rafa had a style established and it works for him. Why change it? He doesn't need to look like Federer.

Tempyst
08-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Rafa looks different and better, but that is only when he is stationary. We'll see when he plays with sleeves. The fistpumps might be downgraded though.

Charlie_Boy
08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Nadal looks a lot....I dunno, better in a way to me.

I dig the shirt.

Alesi
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I hate the new look on Nadal. yuck

AznRamenDude
08-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Hmm, personally i like the new look. a little change in varity. :)

he seems relax and a bit lay back in that outfit.

Mansewerz
08-23-2008, 10:57 PM
If Nadal goes to sleeveless, I think he'd look better in regular shorts. Or capris and the new shirt.

I honestly like the new style. Makes him seem more relaxed, elegant, yet the colors say it's still Rafa.

BreakPoint
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
It's in all the Nike clothing contracts that if you make it to #1, you have to start wearing polo shirts and normal shorter shorts to play in. That's why Federer started wearing polos after he made it to #1. Now Nadal must do it, too. ;)

RCizzle65
08-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I like the regular Nadal look better...

Babolast
08-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I still think Rafa is wearing the white/red sleeveless, red longer shorts and red bandana.

We shall see.

Meanstreak
08-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Rafa looks good in anything, but I think they should maintain his look, which is the sleeveless top and capris shorts.

I'd heard that they were designing a new kit for him for the USO, so this must be it.

Babolast
08-24-2008, 01:26 AM
If this is his new outfit I wonder if he will also have a night outfit.

maximo
08-24-2008, 01:36 AM
The nadal outfit is awful, as federer is # 2 i wonder if he will start wearing sleeveless tops. :)

tennisVS
08-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Hmm, personally i like the new look. a little change in varity. :)

he seems relax and a bit lay back in that outfit.

i agree he looks very good in this outfit.

crazylevity
08-24-2008, 03:11 AM
fed didn't wear polos for much of 06 even when he was no.1, BP.

I dunno...maybe Nadal will rip the sleeves when he fist pumps or stng, lol.

Meanstreak
08-24-2008, 03:55 AM
I sincerely hope Rafa doesn't end up with a Roger hairstyle, or short back and sides!!!!!!!!! That would be unbearable.

nadalfan!
08-24-2008, 06:12 AM
It's in all the Nike clothing contracts that if you make it to #1, you have to start wearing polo shirts and normal shorter shorts to play in. That's why Federer started wearing polos after he made it to #1. Now Nadal must do it, too. ;)

Does this mean Federer's switching to sleeveless?? lol :lol:

SempreSami
08-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Nadal is pictured in a Nike shirt with sleeves and eejuts think it's his new outfit? Puh-leez, wasn't it established that he'd be wearing the red version of what he wore in Montreal and Cincy? :roll:

Babolast
08-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Nadal is pictured in a Nike shirt with sleeves and eejuts think it's his new outfit? Puh-leez, wasn't it established that he'd be wearing the red version of what he wore in Montreal and Cincy? :roll:

No, white/red with red longer shorts.

Duzza
08-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Mmm I really like it, I hope he actually wears that shirt. Just shows even more how ripped he is. Classy look though, shorts n all.

Meanstreak
08-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Rafa looks much cooler than Federer in the same outfit, no?

tennisfever8181
08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
How does he play in something that tight though??!

tennisVS
08-24-2008, 08:32 AM
How does he play in something that tight though??!

Thats true but you know he looks ver good in this who cares lol.

Babolast
08-24-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.downthelinetennis.com/2008/08/fashion-fix-preview-of-rafas-nike.html

califsurferboy33
08-24-2008, 08:40 AM
lol hes going to rip the shirt when he fist pumps

Morrissey
08-24-2008, 09:00 AM
I think it may be a limited thing in which he just wears it for the 1st round and then the regular sleeveless top and longer shorts for the rest of the tournament. Kinda like Blake with the Agassi outfit from 1991 during his first round match. Nike likes to do these things for the US Open.

Babolast
08-24-2008, 09:30 AM
I think it may be a limited thing in which he just wears it for the 1st round and then the regular sleeveless top and longer shorts for the rest of the tournament. Kinda like Blake with the Agassi outfit from 1991 during his first round match. Nike likes to do these things for the US Open.

I dont think so. Blake wore that outfit in honour of Agassi. I dont see any point in Rafa wearing it for one match only.

Lucy Brown
08-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Dont like Nadals tight fitting polo. Even Fed's looks like a size to small. Loosen up a little guys!

Jack & Coke
08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
If Nadal starts loosing, I think he will rip his sleeves off ala Hulk Hogan..

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/701/nadalhogankv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Oui, c'est moi.
08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Rafa looks much cooler than Federer in the same outfit, no?
No.

Aeropro master
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
i agree. he has lost the style that made him what he is.

JRstriker12
08-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Only 500 made and only in Niketown NYC??!?!?! Damn you Nike!!!!!

That polo looks sweet!!

I wonder what made rafa move to a polo from the sleeveless? Maybe Fed has made more of an impact on him than we know. Now that he's #1 he's going to dress the part?

A.A. The Punisher
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Anybody going to NYC or US Open that can get me a medium size of the polo and the short ? im planning going on the second week and i doubt it that are going to be available by that time. = ( so if anybody can help me please email me aathepunisher@gmail.com

SempreSami
08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
In interviews Nadal has said he wears what Nike give him, so I doubt he has that much of a say, not forgetting he's usually not the only one wearing specific patterns.

Babb
08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Dude, Rafa's pirate look will live forever.

The refined look is just not him. His punishing, heavy topspin, his testosterone overdose, his arms... a polo is just not the Nadal way.

I can't believe Nike got him of all people to change...

saram
08-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Can't stand it. Shows the power of the sponsors in professional sports. I'm not a fan of the sleeveless shirts of Rafa--but at least give him a unique look and not something cloned off of Roger's look.

emerckx53
08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
it doesnt suit nadal, they are taking away the style of fed, i dont like that

Nadal now looks like a tennis player not a cast member of Miami Vice. About time.

drakulie
08-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I see Nadal is trying to copy Federer.

Aeropro master
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Anybody going to NYC or US Open that can get me a medium size of the polo and the short ? im planning going on the second week and i doubt it that are going to be available by that time. = ( so if anybody can help me please email me aathepunisher@gmail.com

Will nike save some of the shirts for the second week or will they keep restocking? does anybody know from past experiences?

MichaelNadal
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Nadal should stay with the long shorts/sleeveless shirt. Its his signature look, the new outfit looks great but I still have to go with vintage Nadal.

Nadal_Freak
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Nadal wears whatever Nike gives him. I hope Nike isn't trying to make him look like Federer.

Morrissey
08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Only 500 made and only in Niketown NYC??!?!?! Damn you Nike!!!!!

That polo looks sweet!!

I wonder what made rafa move to a polo from the sleeveless? Maybe Fed has made more of an impact on him than we know. Now that he's #1 he's going to dress the part?

I just came back from that Niketown a couple of hours ago and they don't have it there. The guy told me they're getting them, but he doesn't know when it's coming in. I will be on top of it people. Either way, I'm going to the Open tomorrow and I'll check the Nike booth. I'll be wearing my Morrissey shirt. :-D

Morrissey
08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Nadal should stay with the long shorts/sleeveless shirt. Its his signature look, the new outfit looks great but I still have to go with vintage Nadal.

I agree. It's nice an all. But it's not Nadal. I don't mind him wearing it now and then but he's got his own look. I mean it doesn't hurt to change things once in a while. I hope he doesn't make it permanent.

drakulie
08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Nadal wears whatever Nike gives him. I hope Nike isn't trying to make him look like Federer.

Nadal wears what he likes. You seriously think he would wear those clam diggers if he wasn't comfortable in them??? I think he'll take winning over looking like he is going to dig for clams after tennis.

chiru
08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Nadal wears what he likes. You seriously think he would wear those clam diggers if he wasn't comfortable in them??? I think he'll take winning over looking like he is going to dig for clams after tennis.

i think his um..."picking" habit...is evidence that they weren't all that comfortable. anyhow, i think he looks awesome and all, but it doesn't look like nadal. I don't see him fist pumping with his knee up in that thing. the sleeveless look, it was just very...i donno...fitting. if this is what he's wearing this open, i'm, lets say...very very disappointed in nike.

10sfreak
08-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, Nadal's style of play is very brutish (and effecive!), and his clothing reflected that. This new, more refined look just doesn't suit him or his style of play, IMHO.

chiru
08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Nadal's style of play is very brutish (and effecive!), and his clothing reflected that. This new, more refined look just doesn't suit him or his style of play, IMHO.

i agree, definately

A.A. The Punisher
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
I just came back from that Niketown a couple of hours ago and they don't have it there. The guy told me they're getting them, but he doesn't know when it's coming in. I will be on top of it people. Either way, I'm going to the Open tomorrow and I'll check the Nike booth. I'll be wearing my Morrissey shirt. :-D

Hey Mate, any chance that u can get one Nadal Kit (shirt & short ) for me in size medium ?

BreakPoint
08-24-2008, 07:59 PM
He did copy Federer by getting to #1 and by winning Wimbledon. Now's he's copying Federer's style. Boy, that Nadal is a copycat! ;) :lol: LOL

Morrissey
08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
He did copy Federer by getting to #1 and by winning Wimbledon. Now's he's copying Federer's style. Boy, that Nadal is a copycat! ;) :lol: LOL

I guess Nadal will get a fat girlfriend too? I wonder if Fed will switch to a Babolat and win RG 4 times in a row as well?

BreakPoint
08-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Maybe Nadal is the one trying to look like Federer? :-? In that link above, it talks about how Nadal designed this new outfit himself. Looks like he wants to copy his idol - Federer. :eek: :oops:

BreakPoint
08-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I guess Nadal will get a fat girlfriend too? I wonder if Fed will switch to a Babolat and win RG 4 times in a row as well?
Nobody said Federer is copying Nadal. Nadal is the one copying Federer. It will be a cold day in hell before Federer wears a sleeveless shirt and capri pants for a match. I don't think anyone would disagree.

Morrissey
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Nobody said Federer is copying Nadal. Nadal is the one copying Federer. It will be a cold day in hell before Federer wears a sleeveless shirt and capri pants for a match. I don't think anyone would disagree.

Because he is too puny to ever be caught dead wearing a sleeveless shirt.

BreakPoint
08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Because he is too puny to ever be caught dead wearing a sleeveless shirt.
No, it's because Federer has class and isn't a punk. He also doesn't grunt obscenely when he hits the ball like the girls do.

Bad Dog
08-25-2008, 04:00 AM

Unfortunately, that may not have been the case – but that is now finally changing to reflect your opinion. Here is a quote from today’s Wall Street Journal article on Nadal’s new clothing image for the 2008 U.S. Open:

“In the past, Mr. Nadal, who is known as much for his sartorial choices as for his game, has said he has had little input on the design of his clothing. But Mr. Costa said he and the player worked closely with designers at Beaverton, Ore.-based Nike during the past year to come up with a new look.”

Link to the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121961283898867325.html?mod=hpp_us_inside_today

JRstriker12
08-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Unfortunately, that may not have been the case – but that is now finally changing to reflect your opinion. Here is a quote from today’s Wall Street Journal article on Nadal’s new clothing image for the 2008 U.S. Open:

“In the past, Mr. Nadal, who is known as much for his sartorial choices as for his game, has said he has had little input on the design of his clothing. But Mr. Costa said he and the player worked closely with designers at Beaverton, Ore.-based Nike during the past year to come up with a new look.”

Link to the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121961283898867325.html?mod=hpp_us_inside_today

I wouldn't be too surprised if Nike asked Nadal to play "Agassi" to Fed's "Sampras." It was a smart move too as even at #2 in the world his game and his fashion stood out.

I think Nadal REALLY admires Fed, even now that he's #1. I guess now he wants to dress like the #1 tennis player in the world and look the part. That outfit looks good, but I'm kind of sad to see the pirate look go...

rafaelnadalfan1234
08-25-2008, 05:58 AM
oh no the dolphins got nadal too

Alesi
08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Rafa isn't wearing the polo for his match today. Blue sleeveless with long white shorts instead! :grin:

PED
08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
What's up-Rafa just came on court wearing the same outfit that he's been wearing for the entire summer HC season?

Where's the new look orange polo.

Babolast
08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Very disappointed..

TMCW140
08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Might be a night match thing

Babolast
08-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Doubtful mate.

MichaelNadal
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I for one am glad he is still in a sleeveless shirt and long shorts!

PED
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
10 chars....................

JRstriker12
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
What's up-Rafa just came on court wearing the same outfit that he's been wearing for the entire summer HC season?

Where's the new look orange polo. They even had an article in the WSJ today about it.

Seriously? I wonder why? Maybe he only had one set for the promotional photos the other day?

PED
08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
^^^Kinda like Davydenko at Miami this year when he only had one Ozone pro tour. Maybe rafa doesn't want to have to wash it after every use ;)

JRstriker12
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
^^^Kinda like Davydenko at Miami this year when he only had one Ozone pro tour. Maybe rafa doesn't want to have to wash it after every use ;)

Maybe the dude at the US Open laundry swiped it and put it up on **** ;)

BreakPoint
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I answered my own question.

Babolast
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I wonder what happened..

sjam316
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
heres the link the wsj article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121961283898867325.html

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Probably a mark of class.. Tailored suits and whatnot, no?

Gotta say, though, as much as Fed looks like the shirt is right for him, tell me I'm not alone in thinking Nadal couldn't look more out of place in his polo heh </metrosexuality>

you see like guys were skin tight pants these days whats up with that. nadal does look pretty metro with that outfit tho

TMCW140
08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
He's wearing his 'special shoes' so maybe it will be a night thing, or saved for the later rounds...

TennisandMusic
08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
No, it's because Federer has class and isn't a punk. He also doesn't grunt obscenely when he hits the ball like the girls do.

Ah I see. So if you wear sleeveless shirts you are a classless punk now. I did not realize a few less inches of cloth around your arms was a symbol of your inner character. Good one BP.

topspinmonkey5
08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Ah I see. So if you wear sleeveless shirts you are a classless punk now. I did not realize a few less inches of cloth around your arms was a symbol of your inner character. Good one BP.

It is...sleeveless are for high school/college kids and rednecks. Not adults. If you want to carry yourself like ginepri then fine..but rafa is #1 now. Time to act like a man.

HookEmJeff
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
It is...sleeveless are for high school/college kids and rednecks. Not adults. If you want to carry yourself like ginepri then fine..but rafa is #1 now. Time to act like a man.

So you can't be No. 1 and wear sleeveless? That's ridiculous.

On a side note, the outfit Donald Young has on tonight is killer.

Jeff

2ndserve642
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM

nadal has been wearing sleeveless all his career but now that hes no1he needs to wear a polo maybe federer has to wear sleeveless cuz hes no 2 remember to think before u speak or type

geesechops
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Thats a low blow BP. Can I take that as your not a fan of the new #1?

geesechops
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Wow, you guys are sure showing your age... old.

10sfreak
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
^^^Either that, or they themselves couldn't pull off wearing a sleeveless shirt!:-)

binomialtheory
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Technically, Nadal is still a college student's age.

JoshDragon
08-25-2008, 08:28 PM
By having players with different kinds of playing styles it makes the game better. The same thing translates into clothing. By having players (like Nadal or Agassi) who wear different kinds of clothes from the main stream it adds variety to the game. I'm not into the sleeveless look but it suits Nadal well and I'm glad that he wears it because it would be boring if everyone player wore the same thing.

BreakPoint
08-26-2008, 12:32 AM
These two sentences from the WSJ article says it all:

"The idea for an image makeover came from Mr. Nadal himself, says Benito Perez-Barbadillo, who handles press relations for the tennis player. He says the new look was developed gradually over the past couple of years, with sponsors, Mr. Nadal's communications team and the player himself working together.

"It's not like remaking a Coca-Cola bottle. Rafa has a clear idea of what he wants to be," says Mr. Perez-Barbadillo. "It's the normal evolution of a person; he has changed, his tastes have changed."

maximo
08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I wonder when will he ever wear his new outfit.

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 03:17 AM
I dont think so. Blake wore that outfit in honour of Agassi. I dont see any point in Rafa wearing it for one match only.

I tell you, I think he's gonna wear it for perhaps only night matches. Maybe you don't see the point, but Nike does.

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 03:19 AM
For an old man BP sure acts like an angry 5 yr old Fedfan. Or in other words, like ninman. You guys have to be in every Nadal related thread even though he's not your favorite player. You even somehow find yourself in a Nadal clothing related thread. You post more in a Nadal thread than in a Fed thread, I guess Fed is so boring that not even his fans like posting in his threads huh?

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 03:23 AM
BTW, I got the Polo and shorts. For those going to the Open, get one size larger since they're like muscle fit and pretty tight. So instead of an M, get L. The shorts are still the same. So if you wear M, stay with M. You get the idea. Oh, and they didn't have the sky blue bandanna and wristbands yet. We'll see....

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 03:26 AM

Yeah but he's fondles his hair and cries like one. So Nadal is a punk now huh? Even though he's perhaps the classiest and one of the most humble guys out there? Good one BP. :roll: You really have it going for you.

rnrockz1
08-26-2008, 04:07 AM
BTW, Do you know if they have they have the polo at Nike Town at NYC?

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 04:21 AM
BTW, Do you know if they have they have the polo at Nike Town at NYC?

I went there on Sunday and they didn't have it. They said they'll get 'em but they don't know when it's coming in. They do have it at the US Open Nike booth though. I already got mine.

Babolast
08-26-2008, 04:45 AM
BTW, I got the Polo and shorts. For those going to the Open, get one size larger since they're like muscle fit and pretty tight. So instead of an M, get L. The shorts are still the same. So if you wear M, stay with M. You get the idea. Oh, and they didn't have the sky blue bandanna and wristbands yet. We'll see....

Im a M and I like tight fitting, should I stick to the M?

Also was the clorine bandana and sweatbands for sale as well?

rnrockz1
08-26-2008, 05:02 AM
There are only 500 pieces though....

Morrissey
08-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Im a M and I like tight fitting, should I stick to the M?

Also was the clorine bandana and sweatbands for sale as well?

Well if you like it tight fitting, go ahead. Are you going to the Open too? They let you try it in the restroom. I like it a little loose. Especially for hot days. As for the chlorine bandana and wristbands, no they weren't there. Maybe during the week.

Babolast
08-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Well if you like it tight fitting, go ahead. Are you going to the Open too? They let you try it in the restroom. I like it a little loose. Especially for hot days. As for the chlorine bandana and wristbands, no they weren't there. Maybe during the week.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

A mate of mine is going so hopefully he picks it up for me.

What else were they selling at the Nike tent?

Babolast
08-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Looks like no orange polo for the open:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121970831150171155.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

JRstriker12
08-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Looks like no orange polo for the open:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121970831150171155.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

From that article: "In a field in which some male athletes wear women's underwear ..." WTF??????

I think all this stuff about this change being 100% Nadal's idea is total BS. Maybe Rafa wanted to switch but it sounds like Nike tried to push this "upgrade to his image" before Rafa was ready. If it really was his idea and he was all about making the change, I doubt he would back out at the last second if it was all his idea.

Still like the polo and the outfit, but this has got to suck for Nike. Nadal just threw a big marketing opp out the window. No way debuting his new look at a "smaller tournament" would have the same impact as lauching at the US Open or other grand slam. So when is he going to change? After he loses?? What if he doesn't lose for the next year, then what?

Babolast
08-26-2008, 06:29 AM
The change was going to happen in Australia. I think what happened here was Nike tried to push the change sooner then expected i.e New York.

Sucks though, really wanted to see Rafa play in that orange polo.

TMCW140
08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Good for him though, shows how seriously he takes things

PED
08-26-2008, 06:50 AM
No way debuting his new look at a "smaller tournament" would have the same impact as lauching at the US Open or other grand slam. So when is he going to change? After he loses?? What if he doesn't lose for the next year, then what?

I totally agree with you but it's still surprising the amount of buzz nike is getting on this outfit change. They get a big article in the wsj saying nadal is switching yesterday, WSJ again today saying he's NOT switching and then CNBC just ran a 5 minute piece on Nadals' personal brand. All in all, good publicity for tennis, Nadal and Nike-maybe not in that order ;)

Babolast
08-26-2008, 07:44 AM
I totally agree with you but it's still surprising the amount of buzz nike is getting on this outfit change. They get a big article in the wsj saying nadal is switching yesterday, WSJ again today saying he's NOT switching and then CNBC just ran a 5 minute piece on Nadals' personal brand. All in all, good publicity for tennis, Nadal and Nike-maybe not in that order ;)

What do you mean by 'Nadals personal brand'?

JRstriker12
08-26-2008, 07:50 AM
What do you mean by 'Nadals personal brand'?

As in the Brand of Nadal - as in Marketing Nadal and what he stands for or how he is viewed or how his sponsors wish him to be viewed.

PED
08-26-2008, 07:58 AM
CNBC had on Donny Deutsch, a successful ad exec who owns his own ad shop. He has good insights into the marketing side of things and talked about Rafa's look and the things we all know-capris, no sleeves, etc. He spoke about Rafa's appeal to the younger demographic in tennis .

Deutsch also spoke about the importance of everyone in business or sport or whatever having their own brand or signature look. Contrast the "Fed" look of tailored shorts with a belt and topped by a polo vs the Rafa look. It wasn't a better or worse judgement, just a look at the different styles. Maybe they should have taken a look at Spadea's personal line from a few years back ;)

People can say his insights are far fetched but Nike's a $23 billion corporation based on thoughts like those.

Babolast
08-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Ohh yes, I see.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I thought a brand as in the 'RF' brand but for Nadal.

Babolast
08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
CNBC had on Donny Deutsch, a successful ad exec who owns his own ad shop. He has good insights into the marketing side of things and talked about Rafa's look and the things we all know-capris, no sleeves, etc. He spoke about Rafa's appeal to the younger demographic in tennis .

Deutsch also spoke about the importance of everyone in business or sport or whatever having their own brand or signature look. Contrast the "Fed" look of tailored shorts with a belt and topped by a polo vs the Rafa look. It wasn't a better or worse judgement, just a look at the different styles. Maybe they should have taken a look at Spadea's personal line from a few years back ;)

People can say his insights are far fetched but Nike's a $23 billion corporation based on thoughts like those.
Really intresting.

Doubtful Rafa makes the switch in 08.

BreakPoint
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I find this line from the WSJ article really funny:

"It's a decision we made based on the limited time I've had to practice in the new apparel between the Olympics and the U.S. Open."

As if matches are won or lost due to the style of your apparel.

BreakPoint
08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah but he's fondles his hair and cries like one. So Nadal is a punk now huh? Even though he's perhaps the classiest and one of the most humble guys out there? Good one BP. :roll: You really have it going for you.
I said "Federer isn't a punk". If you assumed Nadal's a punk then that must be what YOU really think.
No, it's because Federer has class and isn't a punk.

maximo
08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

"It's a decision we made based on the limited time I've had to practice in the new apparel between the Olympics and the U.S. Open."

I agree, quite a strange reason not to wear new clothes.

SempreSami
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe he didn't feel comfortable in them, like adidas players who model the a3s in photoshoots but wear Barricades on court.

Babolast
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Its just some lame excuse.

TennisandMusic
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM

You do know that Sampras would wear shirts where the sleeves would only come to a VERY specific point on his arm right? Everyone has their likes and dislikes. It just seems like you want to criticize Nadal any way you possibly can, valid or not. I mean in another thread you complained how Phau wasted "so many break opportunities" and that he would have won had he not. But it was 13 breakpoints for Nadal to Phau's 3...

I'd suggest not taking your favorites so personally. Just because Federer is number 2 is no reason to lash out so much at Nadal. It's just tennis man...

BreakPoint
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Maybe he didn't feel comfortable in them, like adidas players who model the a3s in photoshoots but wear Barricades on court.
Well, shoes make much more difference in how you play than clothes do. If you can't run in your shoes due to pain or something, then it's going to affect your game quite a bit.

Charlie_Boy
08-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Nadal does have a slight case of OCD is seems sometimes.

Maybe it just didn't feel right to him.

SempreSami
08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, shoes make much more difference in how you play than clothes do. If you can't run in your shoes due to pain or something, then it's going to affect your game quite a bit.

Perhaps regarding his shirt he needs the left sleeve to be bigger than the other before it fits him.

BreakPoint
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Nadal does have a slight case of OCD is seems sometimes.

I'd say the butt-picking before every point is pretty much proof of that! ;-) LOL

BTW, that probably doesn't look good on Nike as people must think Nike shorts/capris don't fit too well so will avoid buying them. Nike probably wants to get Nadal into some different shorts so that maybe he'll stop his butt-picking. It's not the right image for the #1 player in the world to be a butt-picker, and I'm sure that's not the image Nike wants to promote for their top player. :oops:

Babolast
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Hey Morrissey can you post pics of Nadals outfit please?

0range
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
The new look is better. People will accept it once they get used to it.

Too bad Nadal didn't wear it during his 1st round match... Nadal has a mild version of OCD maybe he's not used to new things and wanted things just the way they are?

tennismonster
08-26-2008, 10:26 PM
nadal wearing a polo!?! his huge biceps wont be able to breathe!!

rnrockz1
08-27-2008, 04:54 AM

Yeah, Im going for the mens semis on September 6th. I hope they have the polo.....

Babolast
08-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Did you get the shorts as well?

rnrockz1
08-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Post some pics to see- I might not wanna buy it if it isnt worth it..

Babolast
08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Post some pics to see- I might not wanna buy it if it isnt worth it..

Relax, he will when he has time.

rnrockz1
08-27-2008, 10:17 AM
BTW, I heard Nadal was switching from polos to crew shirts next year....

ajspurs
08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Rafa's in red shorts and white top tonight, I wondered why he was wearing the same blue top and white shorts in his 1st match, maybe the red/white is just his night apparel.

PED
08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
^^^It does get confusing. This summer on the german website, they were selling his USO outfit as the red sleeveless and the long white shorts. Can't make my mind up on the red shorts. I guess they'd go pretty well up here in Wolfpack country ;)

ajspurs
08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
^^^It does get confusing. This summer on the german website, they were selling his USO outfit as the red sleeveless and the long white shorts. Can't make my mind up on the red shorts. I guess they'd go pretty well up here in Wolfpack country ;)

Yea, I thought he was going to be wearing the red top too, then I saw Monfils and Del Potro wearing it and got confused. :-?

Haha, I quite like the red shorts, I like the shinyish strap on the back of them. I'm annoyed that Nadal is going changing to short shorts as well, I love the long shorts, I hope they regularly produce them.

Babolast
08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Can anyone please pick me up a M Nadal Orange polo and a S Nadal board short that he wore on AA kids day.

I can pay via paypal.

Many thanks.