PDA

View Full Version : additional Challenges

certifiedjatt
08-23-2008, 05:19 PM
how about having a challenge available to players on championship point, in addition to their three given challenges? and at set points...and at game points...i mean why not? i get the whole decision making havinga limited number of challenges requires from players, but, still, in such competitive matches, i think having the option of challenging on game point, set point and especially championship point should be given...

right?

beedlejuice22
08-23-2008, 07:35 PM
3 challenges is usually more than enough to get a player through a set. Plus, important points like that are supposed to be taken the same as any other point.

baek57
08-24-2008, 01:56 AM
how about taking linesmen & challenges out all together and make all line calling automated?

beedlejuice22
08-24-2008, 10:37 AM
how about taking linesmen & challenges out all together and make all line calling automated?

It would be incredibly slow and complicated to work. As we have seen by the challenge system, the line judges are right most of the time. No need to fix it.

certifiedjatt
08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
It would be incredibly slow and complicated to work. As we have seen by the challenge system, the line judges are right most of the time. No need to fix it.

it would be cumbersome, but i remember watching a sampras match with rafter and rafter won on a seemingly controversial call. and sampras doesn't really vocalize his objections all that often. it would have been interesting to see what the real result was.

ollinger
08-25-2008, 07:57 AM
baek57 has a point. The sports world is unique in hemming and hawing about using available and affordable technology to eliminate human error. Imagine if airtraffic controllers still used non-automated radar and visual contact rather than powerful computers to keep track of planes, being allowed three appeals per hour to the computer. I suspect there is plenty of speed in available computers to make the Hawkeye line calls instantaneous rather than have the melodramatic tracing of the arc of the ball on the screen, as the crowd goes "ooooooh." Do linespeople enhance your enjoyment of the match? Not so much for me.