PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn sensation while playing Tennis

quest01
08-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Does anyone ever get a heartburn sensation in the center of your chest while playing tennis? For instance I get it when I exert myself on the court such as during a long point or while running a lot.

I think I may have this sensation if I eat something heavy before playing tennis and for now on I generally bring a small bag filled with Tums just in case it happens.

Loco4Tennis
08-23-2008, 07:18 PM
i dont recall ever getting heartburn on the court, but when i do get heartburn i use to for for TUMS, but now i just drink milk, it seems to work better for me, not a whole lot, just enough to coat my esophagus/throat/gullet :-D

Headshotterer
08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
u need 2 c a doctor NOW

El Diablo
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Most heartburn during exercise is GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disorder), with stomach contents escaping the stomach and splashing around in the lower esophagus. You don't mention your age, but in middle age adults and older, one always has to be aware that cardiac pain can feel like heartburn (owing to the fact that pain sensation from the heart and esophagus are transmitted by the same nerve.) A medical evaluation is a good idea.

albino smurf
08-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Only once and it was from playing immediately after eating. Go to doctor. Hearts are important.

quest01
08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Well I did go to a doctor after experiencing heart burn on a few occasions while playing Tennis and I had a few tests done. I had a blood test, Electrocardiogram (EKG), and an exercise stress test done. The stress test was actually pretty cool because they show you live video of your heart beating from different angles before and after walking and jogging on the treadmill. Everything came back normal and as I suspected the heart burn sensation was mostly due to eating something heavy before playing Tennis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_stress_test#Test_overview

Il Mostro
08-30-2008, 08:02 AM
What & when do you eat before playing? I have only experienced what you are describing one time -- under unusual circumstances. I was nursing a hangover and opted for a treatment of too much coffee and the most delicious breakfast burrito in all of SoCal about a half hour before playing (3 fried eggs, hash browns, ham, sausage, bacon, cheese and salsa all wrapped in a *big* flour tortilla. A humongous hunk of truly delicious breakfast delight.) In addition to the burning sensation I had tightness in my gut and chest; I literally thought I was going to die on the court 2 1/2 hours into it. Never again will I drift from light, healthy food well in advance of getting on the court.

Ronaldo
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Only had that sensation playing tennis after eating kibbee.