PDA

View Full Version : The context of Michael Jordanís amazing quotes.

tennispal
08-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey guys, Im sure uve all seen MJís amazing motivational quotes, such as:

"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying. "

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. "

My question is when did he actually say these? In commercials? Press conferences? Educational programs?

Dilettante
08-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Commercials.

El Diablo
08-24-2008, 08:40 AM
I prefer Thomas Edison, whom I'll paraphrase......I didn't feel I had failed 10,000 times in my effort to perfect the lightbulb. I merely found that the invention of the lightbulb was a process with 10,000 steps.

Ignorant Genius
08-24-2008, 08:48 AM
I prefer Thomas Edison, whom I'll paraphrase......I didn't feel I had failed 10,000 times in my effort to perfect the lightbulb. I merely found that the invention of the lightbulb was a process with 10,000 steps.

Nice quote, but if you want to motivate the younger generation, it's better to use Michael Jordan than Thomas Edison.

jmsx521
08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Nice quote, but if you want to motivate the younger generation, it's better to use Michael Jordan than Thomas Edison.NoÖ if you want to motivate the younger generation use the quote on my signature!

tennisfever8181
08-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I have a feeling this will be a 100+ page thread.

power_play21
08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
i am young, i think, 22, and i like edison's better.

Vermillion
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I like "Just Do It"

dak95_00
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
This one caught me by surprise today:

As I get older, I do care what people think of me. I donít want them to have the wrong impression. That is important to me. Iím not too big to say that. Iím not embarrassed to say that. I care about what people think.

óKobe Bryant

As an inner city high school teacher, Kobe's words have meaning to these kids and for him to say that he cares about what others think is profound in the "I don't give a F world we live in." It certainly is different than Charles Barkley's "I'm not a role model" commercial and it's not my responsibility to be their parent which I understand too.

I hope this does become a 100 page post. I like good quotes whether in or out of context. I could go on but others should share too.

Ignorant Genius
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
This one caught me by surprise today:

As I get older, I do care what people think of me. I donít want them to have the wrong impression. That is important to me. Iím not too big to say that. Iím not embarrassed to say that. I care about what people think.

óKobe Bryant

As an inner city high school teacher, Kobe's words have meaning to these kids and for him to say that he cares about what others think is profound in the "I don't give a F world we live in." It certainly is different than Charles Barkley's "I'm not a role model" commercial and it's not my responsibility to be their parent which I understand too.

I hope this does become a 100 page post. I like good quotes whether in or out of context. I could go on but others should share too.

It's a shame Kobe didn't feel that way until he go older. It might have helped him avoid that entire situation in that Colorado hotel room a few years ago.

tennispal
08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Commercials.

lol this takes away some motivational value for them. he couldve been forced to say them for all we know

Ignorant Genius
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
lol this takes away some motivational value for them. he couldve been forced to say them for all we know

Forced? Like at gunpoint?

Polaris
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Forced? Like at gunpoint?
No. Like, at moneypoint. With loads of green bills staring him in the face :).

I'm partially kidding. Jordan is a great role model and a truly inspirational sportsman.

TennisCoachFLA
08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't think I will use a quote by Kobe Bryant to inspire any kids.

When you see a messed up 19 year old who is star struck, put your hands around her neck from behind, have rough, unprotected, bloody sex with her after knowing her for 15 minutes....then ask if you can do stuff in her face.....then go home to your unsuspecting young wife and infant daughter...possibly carrying various STDs....somehow I think your quotes might not be worth a damn.

dak95_00
08-25-2008, 02:07 AM
^^^^^^^That's great because you work w/ the inner city youth of America who believe that life is like a rap video.

Live fast.

Work doesn't pay off. I'll earn, take or receive enough to get by. My family lives just fine in the neighborhood.

Somehow, somebody will discover that I'm an awesome rapper and I'll have women falling all over themselves trying to have my baby.

My fellow gang members are my family.

If I don't want to be taken advantage of, I must fight and win to prove I am tough enough to survive and to keep people from messing w/ me.

I don't give a **** what you or anyone else thinks of me. If I want it, I'll take it.

You don't live in reality. Not everyone has the same value system that I, you, or we have. I idolize people for what they think and the problems that they've solved. Other idolize people for their tennis game, the money that they earn, social status, their public perception, etc. We can agree to disagree. I didn't say that Kobe was a moral person. However, he is idolized by many people and many young people might be inclined to reflect on their behavior because of his (Kobe's) personal reflections of his perceptions of caring what people think.

tbini87
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
No. Like, at moneypoint. With loads of green bills staring him in the face :).

I'm partially kidding. Jordan is a great role model and a truly inspirational sportsman.

just curious in what ways you think jordan is a "great role model"? i agree he is an inspirational sportsmen.

do others feel that jordan is a great role model too?

dak95_00
08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I for one thought he was a great athlete and did a great job as a professional. Except, he too has been suspect to bad behavior or accused there of such as:
adultery
gambling losses (well documented)
and I'm sure there are a few others too.

Who is perfect?

Ignorant Genius
08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
... However, he is idolized by many people and many young people might be inclined to reflect on their behavior because of his (Kobe's) personal reflections of his perceptions of caring what people think.

Does that really work? I always thought it was sort of lame when some rapper/rock star/celebrity trotted out the "don't mess up like I did" message.

There are more people who have given that speech than I can mention in this post and it's always the same story, over and over. So does that really make kids believe that they should stay away from drugs/guns/gangs, etc.?

My favorite example is from a few years ago. Washed-up rapper turned television actor Ice-T was on an MTV special telling kids to stay away from drugs/guns/gangs/violence, etc. He (of course) brought out his own story as a former gang banger/drug dealer/felon and told kids not to be like him because it was dangerous and wrong.

And while he's delivering this speech, he's wearing a hat that says "OG" on it.
For those of you who aren't down, "OG" stands for Original Gangsta and is used as a term of respect for someone who was a gang member from back in the day. So he's saying one thing verbally, and what he's wearing is saying "you should respect me because I was a gangsta way back when and am still alive to talk about it". Yeah, ok Ice-T........whatever.

Ignorant Genius
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
just curious in what ways you think jordan is a "great role model"? i agree he is an inspirational sportsmen.

do others feel that jordan is a great role model too?

Possibly to african american youth he could be perceived as a great role model just for the fact that at one point he was the most famous, most successful african american man on the planet...and he's still probably in the top 5.

So from that perspective, african american youths could look up to him as someone with their skin color who could be very successful in any environment in the world. His fame and his talent crossed color lines and crossed borders....and at the time he became very famous, that really hadn't been done yet.

So yes, I can see him being a very positive role model, especially moreso for certain groups.

Ignorant Genius
08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I for one thought he was a great athlete and did a great job as a professional. Except, he too has been suspect to bad behavior or accused there of such as:
adultery
gambling losses (well documented)
and I'm sure there are a few others too.

Who is perfect?

Nobody is perfect, that's for sure.

Adultery - professional athletes of Jordan's caliber have women throw themselves at them on an almost daily basis. That makes it much harder to resist temptation.....you're minding your own business and it doesn't just knock on your door, it pounds on your door repeatedly.

Gambling - the most successful professional athletes have more money than they know what to do with. They are also very competitive and have lots of free time on their hands. So gambling is a way for them to compete and create some excitement during their free time.

tbini87
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Possibly to african american youth he could be perceived as a great role model just for the fact that at one point he was the most famous, most successful african american man on the planet...and he's still probably in the top 5.

So from that perspective, african american youths could look up to him as someone with their skin color who could be very successful in any environment in the world. His fame and his talent crossed color lines and crossed borders....and at the time he became very famous, that really hadn't been done yet.

So yes, I can see him being a very positive role model, especially moreso for certain groups.

being an incredible doesn't count as being a good role model in my book. if being "succesful" is all is takes to be a good role model then i wouldn't even want to think of the possibilities of who kids should be looking up to. he was an amazing talent and was very succesful... hardly automatically makes him a good role model. anything else we could point to that could make him a true good role model. he was cut from his freshman bball team or whatever... that could be a great story. tbh i really like the guy, but don't understand why he is generally talked about as being a great role model.

tbini87
08-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Nobody is perfect, that's for sure.

Adultery - professional athletes of Jordan's caliber have women throw themselves at them on an almost daily basis. That makes it much harder to resist temptation.....you're minding your own business and it doesn't just knock on your door, it pounds on your door repeatedly.

Gambling - the most successful professional athletes have more money than they know what to do with. They are also very competitive and have lots of free time on their hands. So gambling is a way for them to compete and create some excitement during their free time.

i don't think we can just give pro athletes a pass on adultery or losing tons of money gambling just because. if so then what was wrong with kobe and his little shindig in Colorado? that girl was obviously a jersey chaser, but i don't think that makes it ok in the least bit. huge name pros can keep whatever company they want, and can generally keep away most company they don't want. i think someone like tiger is a far better role model for kids (african americans or any other race for that matter) than jordan. i might take LT over jordan as well. and if i heard of either of them (or any other pros i am a fan of) having affairs or anything else i wouldn't just give a pass just because they are pro athletes.

with all that said i think it is great when people grow up and are able to change their ways when they look back and see that they were wrong. if kobe can admit things he couldn't admit before then good for him. better than being stubborn and not learning from mistakes. he will always be labeled as a guy who had an affair, but it is better for him to change and learn from it than to stay the same.

samprasbackhand
08-26-2008, 12:12 AM
i don't think we can just give pro athletes a pass on adultery or losing tons of money gambling just because. if so then what was wrong with kobe and his little shindig in Colorado? that girl was obviously a jersey chaser, but i don't think that makes it ok in the least bit. huge name pros can keep whatever company they want, and can generally keep away most company they don't want. i think someone like tiger is a far better role model for kids (african americans or any other race for that matter) than jordan. i might take LT over jordan as well. and if i heard of either of them (or any other pros i am a fan of) having affairs or anything else i wouldn't just give a pass just because they are pro athletes.

with all that said i think it is great when people grow up and are able to change their ways when they look back and see that they were wrong. if kobe can admit things he couldn't admit before then good for him. better than being stubborn and not learning from mistakes. he will always be labeled as a guy who had an affair, but it is better for him to change and learn from it than to stay the same.

Did Michael Jordan really commit adultery? If so, I never knew this..

tbini87
08-26-2008, 07:21 AM
to be honest i can't say that i know for certain. as others have mentioned he has been suspected of it. i am under the impression that he may have not been a totally faithful husband. however, i am not trying to bash jordan over that. i just don't know why he comes off as some "great role model" for a bunch of people...

Ignorant Genius
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Yes, it was in the news during his divorce. He had a mistress that lived in a downtown apt. that he owned and he also gave her lavish gifts, spending money, etc.

I'd have to do some research since it was so long ago, but there may have been the threat of extortion......seems she had "dated" some other NBA players in the past and tried to get money from them when they stopped "dating" her.

FWIW, I have met her (she went to HS with some of my college friends) and I was very surprised when I read in the newspaper that she was the one Jordan was caught with. She's attractive, but not that attractive.....seems someone of Jordan's fame, wealth, etc. could have gotten someone more attractive.

Ignorant Genius
08-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Here you go -

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/karlaresp1.html

Do a google search on Karla Knafel, lots of info to be had. And I did recall correctly, she was accused of trying to extort money from MJ to keep their affair a secret. She, of course, denied the charges.