PDA

View Full Version : College tennis help

roddick_rulz
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm curently around a 4.0 ntrp and am going into my junior year at high school.
I'm wondering what the general level u need to play at the college level.
Also, I was wondering what universities in California that you can recommend that I could probably make that have both good academics and tennis.
Thanks

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
08-25-2008, 10:18 AM
^ I will try to answer for all posters.
Figure out how to search threads on this board and read what you find.

You have found a very good resource that has all your questions answered, in one thread or another- It just is not too realistic to expect someone else to try and put together a simple answer to such a broad series of questions.

You may want to start by reading everything Coach Carter has posted- Search by "NAME" of poster. He has posted some very interesting New York Times articles on what to expect in college.

Good Luck.

Fedace
08-25-2008, 10:38 AM
If you can possibly improve to 4.5 level, perhaps division 3 school could accept you on the team. All division 1 colleges are 5.5 or above. If you are 4.0, i would just concentrate on Academics and try to get into colleges like UCLA, CAL or if you are a truly exceptional student, then possibly Stanford. and they have good Club tennis which travel and play very competitive tennis so you could continue your tennis that way. But Please concentrate on the Academics above all else at this point.

onehandbh
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I recommend making a list of about 10 d2 & d2 schools that you'd like to
go to academic-wise. Then find out what their tennis team is like.
If you work really hard the next year you have a chance of making it on the
team. You better start competing and playing some tournaments if you aren't
already. Practice your doubles, too.

Julieta
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Great advice from previous posters. To emphasize though, if you continue to improve and work hard there is no reason you cannot play. Some people think college tennis is insanely tough and give up on playing before they look at all options. Don't let this happen to you if you really want to play. Not all DI programs are 5.5+ level. There are definitely 4.5 players and even 4.0 in some cases. The top programs though, yes they are 5.5 or really even 6.0. UCLA etc. is pretty much tour level so if you want to go to those schools club tennis would be your best option.

35ft6
08-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm curently around a 4.0 ntrp and am going into my junior year at high school.
I'm wondering what the general level u need to play at the college level.
Also, I was wondering what universities in California that you can recommend that I could probably make that have both good academics and tennis.Unless you make huge improvements, not sure which schools in California would really meet your requirements. I guess it depends on what you mean by good academics. If you're willing to move out of state, your choices increase considerably. Maybe look into schools in a conference like this one (http://www.collegetennisonline.com/view/conference.aspx?confId=143). Say you get to strong 4.5 by end of senior year, you have a decent junior ranking (like top 100 or so in So Cal), I don't see why you couldn't make a squad, get to practice and travel with them, but if you want to play, it might be iffy. IMO you would be right on the borderline of making number 6 singles or so.

Again, if it's really important to get the full college tennis experience, getting to play and travel, plus some solid academics, not sure if California is your best bet (actually, I'm thinking more of So Cal... seems like even the community college teams here are pretty solid...). Nationwide, plenty of teams you can make. And I would never discourage anybody from trying to play college tennis, but if you HAVE to choose, I would go to a stronger school. You can probably find or create an intramural league of some sort there.

CAM178
08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
4.0-4.5: D3
5.0: D2
5.0-6.0: D1

In CA, you're going to be lucky to warm the bench. CA is way hard. Imagine all of the strong juniors in CA who want to stay home. Now imagine that you're going to have to play one of them for a spot.

For a small non-tennis, non-powerhouse school, you can make it. You'll play 3 dubs or 6 singles, but you can do it.

I would strongly recommend playing as much as you can, and playing as many tournaments and practice matches that you can between now and college. With hard work, you can make it.

Good luck. :)

35ft6
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
The D-3 guys in So Cal are going to be at 4.5, and the top ones are probably 5.5. I guess it now comes down to how we define 5.5, but the guy currently ranked 17th nationally in singles for D-3, who plays for a So Cal D-3 team:On Court: Joined CMS following a junior career that earned him a #11 Boys 18s ranking Southern California and as high as #55 nationally...

tennismike33
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
You have been given a lot of great advice by the posters here. One area that they may have overlooked which is a good training ground and a great place to improve, both academically and tennis IQ is the junior college ranks. Check Brad Gilbert, he started at a JC.

Good luck in your search.

gokou703
08-26-2008, 01:51 AM
You can do what I did. Concurrent enrollment during my second year of JC tennis. Which means I was enrolled at a four year university and enrolled/played at a local Junior College tennis team. If you're good at academics it's possible to do. I had to take 25 units between both schools. =/

10isDad
08-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Take the ratings quoted by folks here with a grain of salt. In all 3 divisions, player levels vary significantly. There are D3 schools that can beat some D1 schools. People tend to think D1 and equate it only with the powerhouses.

Look at the D1 schools that many (or most) people haven't heard of: Morehead State, Longwood, Lipscomb, etc., etc. (remember there are over 270 D1 schools offering men's tennis). Look at some of these school's rosters and you'll see that many have local players. Many of these schools don't have a recruiting budget and end up filling their rosters with local kids just to fill the line-up. Do some further research and you'll see that there are 2-star and below in all 3 divisions.

Fedace
08-26-2008, 06:32 AM
The D-3 guys in So Cal are going to be at 4.5, and the top ones are probably 5.5. I guess it now comes down to how we define 5.5, but the guy currently ranked 17th nationally in singles for D-3, who plays for a So Cal D-3 team:

Yes, Even D-3 guys at top ranked schools are really good players. Those guys compete well with D-1 players when they hit together.

roddick_rulz
08-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the information.
I'm not actually from Cali, I just have a lot of relatives and like it a lot there.
I was interested in going to USF (University of San Francisco), what's the level like there?

ClarkC
08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not actually from Cali, I just have a lot of relatives and like it a lot there.
I was interested in going to USF (University of San Francisco), what's the level like there?

Here is their web page (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=278) on tennisrecruiting.net. Looks like they got some good ******** in 2005 from California and then signed three foreign players in 2007. Pepperdine dominates the conference.

Tennisrecruiting.net is a web site you need to get familiar with if you are evaluating colleges.

ClarkC
08-26-2008, 08:01 AM
And, of course, I forgot that those who run this site are still too lazy to fix the bug that is causing r-e-c-r-u-i-t-s to be censored.

gokou703
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

The level of play at USF is quite high. I know a couple players on their team and they're 5.5 to open level. Not sure how the lower ranked players on the team are but definately not a bad bunch of players there.

08-26-2008, 12:47 PM
^ Yeah, USF is great... Now hand over $40,000 a year and you are in.

If there are 270 DIVISION I schools offering Mens Tennis, why does TENNIS RECRUITING only post, maybe @75 by conference?
I'll pull up old thread for TENNIS RECRUITING founder (on kid's thread) and ask him the same.

ClarkC
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
If there are 270 DIVISION I schools offering Mens Tennis, why does TENNIS RECRUITING only post, maybe @75 by conference?
I'll pull up old thread for TENNIS RECRUITING founder (on kid's thread) and ask him the same.

I started counting on their Men's Teams Page (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/division.asp?id=1&sessionid=3DDF7B981DA18D1E). Going from left to right, top to bottom, Indiana was the 75th team I counted. The conferences are listed alphabetically, so I was not out of the letter B (Big Ten).

Maybe your skills at estimating the number of entries on a page with a 2-second glance need some improving. :)

ClarkC
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Holy Cross is program #200; I have made it down to the letter P (Patriot League) ... still going ...

ClarkC
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
... and Utah State, the last school listed, comes in at #272. Done.

08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Gee, Thanks Clarke for counting (and having the life to do it).
I really did not give it a fair count or even estimate- Little busy figuring out how to turn Polish missile stations around 180.

10isDad
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I copied and pasted the listing into Excel and let it do the counting... An easier method is various r-e-c-r-u-i-t-i-n-g websites that actually give the stats. For example berecruited dot com lists the following (includes both men's and women's team counting individually...):

NCAA Teams & Scholarships

D1 576 teams / 3,680 scholarships
D2 382 teams / 2,040 scholarships
D3 673 teams / --- scholarships

ClarkC
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I copied and pasted the listing into Excel and let it do the counting... An easier method is various r-e-c-r-u-i-t-i-n-g websites that actually give the stats. For example berecruited dot com lists the following (includes both men's and women's team counting individually...):

NCAA Teams & Scholarships

D1 576 teams / 3,680 scholarships
D2 382 teams / 2,040 scholarships
D3 673 teams / --- scholarships

Thanks. Those scholarship numbers appear to be the NCAA limits, rather than the actual funding available. Many programs are not fully funded.

For D1, 576 teams seems to mean 272 men's teams and 304 women's teams. The scholarship limits are 4.5 for men and 8.0 for women, I believe. 272 times 4.5 = 1224 men's scholarships at the limit. 304 times 8.0 = 2432 scholarships at the limit. Total would be 3656, which is about what they got.

So, the actual available scholarship money is quite a bit less. Some schools comply with Title IX by offering even less than 4.5 scholarships to the men's team (and sometimes less than 8.0 for the women's team; could be 2.0 men and 5.0 women, for example).

08-27-2008, 08:49 AM
One of Coach Carter's posts has a series of newspaper articles attached, very enlightening reading. What I got out of the interviews with "minor sports" coaches is-

Parents and players expecting much greater amounts of money is available when it just is not.

How much work is expected from the players every day- no time to get the full experiences of school for the money offered. How many drop their sports.

How every administrator kept saying that there was so much more money to offer on the "scholarship" side- Having grades making the difference.

How much "pure luck" there is in being seen at the right time just when a player hits a peak.

I am going to start a thread to compare/ contrast and examine these recruitng sites Vs. the value received- I mean, there are what, a couple dozen?
I could see using a "professional advisor/service" for the realities of chasing down money for school- But chasing althletic scholarships? Phffft.........

roddick_rulz
08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Last question, I was just wondering, how good is UC Santa Barbara's tennis team?

10isDad
08-30-2008, 06:10 AM
Last question, I was just wondering, how good is UC Santa Barbara's tennis team?

Do some research - it isn't hard...

Go to the team's website http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-tennis/ucsb-m-tennis-body.html

You'll find out a pretty important piece of information related to the question you asked right on that page.

Go to the roster page. Look up the players (international players on itftennis.com, US players at tennisrecruiting.net).

Go the the Results/Statistics page. It'll have a link to tell you the order these players played. It'll tell you the teams they played and the scores - and you can look up these teams, too.

The point is: do some of the work yourself, especially if you're interested in the team.

CAM178
08-31-2008, 11:13 PM
The thing about college tennis is that you can find ballers just about anywhere. When I played college tennis, the only schools that we were really worried about were juco's (junior colleges), and ABAC, in particular. The juco's had some frighteningly good players. Most had played satellites, & you just didn't come across much of that in DII.