PDA

View Full Version : Do vibration dampeners really help tennis elbow?

BjornBorg
08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
If they do, is it the kind of thing where the bigger or lengthier the dampener, the more help to the elbow? Thanks.

Say Chi Sin Lo
08-24-2008, 05:38 PM
it's psychological. The sound from the dampener makes you feel like you're hitting the ball clean.

ollinger
08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Where is it claimed that dampeners have an effect on the course or development of tennis elbow?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Where is it claimed that dampeners have an effect on the course or development of tennis elbow?

They say the dampeners absorb the vibrations that can hurt your elbow. I don't know if they do that, but I use my rubber bands because it helps stabilize my racquet.

10sfreak
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Dampeners are there only to make the strings more quiet - they do nothing to prevent TE.

CHOcobo
08-24-2008, 08:28 PM
if they absorb impact then off course they help reduce tennis elbow. with it, the impact to your elbow will be less than it is without the dampener so there for it helps.

xtremerunnerars
08-24-2008, 08:59 PM
like people have said, they just mess with the sound.

The ones that help with actual harmful vibrations are the ones either inside the frame or contacting it (Babolat)

ojingoh
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
It doesn't help at all with TE or joints generally. It's just there to dampen sound.

SystemicAnomaly
08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
The vibrations that bother TE or GE are primarily frame vibrations. String dampeners will reduce string vibration to a fair degree but will not really do anything for elbow-jarring frame vibrations.

Note that if you dampen the strings too much you may lose some feel of the ball contact or some important acoustical feedback. This is why many pros will often use very light dampening (like a simple rubber band). The light dampening will sweeten the sound a bit w/o losing feel or important feedback.

Dr. Acula
08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Good form helps tennis elbow

LuckyR
08-26-2008, 09:34 AM
if they absorb impact then off course they help reduce tennis elbow. with it, the impact to your elbow will be less than it is without the dampener so there for it helps.

From racquetresearch:

The Effect of String Damping Gadgets

Damping doo-dads on the strings damp only residual string bed vibration, and do not really protect the arm by damping frame vibration. Adding more mass to the head in the form of a damping gadget is a bad idea because it increases r in the formulas and therefore worsens performance, so the damper should be light. Pete Sampras' string damper is just a cable grommet, and Andre Agassi uses a rubber band.