PDA

View Full Version : Lifting weights ---> time off?

topspinmonkey5
08-25-2008, 06:37 AM
If i lift weights, lets say quads, core and upper body (everything haha..) how long does it take before those muscles are ready to go 100% for tennis? I have tried to play 24 hours after, and i have no power at all, legs feel sluggish etc. But a couple days later i feel great and feel stronger on the court. So i was curious what is the science behind lifting weights and what is does to the muscles, what is involved with recovery etc.

GPB
08-25-2008, 07:35 AM
People's bodies are different, and recovery time is also affected by what you eat (load up on the protein if you're lifting). I, for example, don't work out nearly enough, so when I do, I feel it for a few days. If you get your body used to it, though, you could be ready to go strong again after just a day's rest.

Vermillion
08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
my best tennis comes 2 days after my legs workout.

JRstriker12
08-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Recovery time varies from person to person. If you body is saying it needs 48 hours to fully recover, I'd listen to it.

IIRC - I've also been advised not to do intense workouts of the same body part on back to back days because you are not giving that body part enough time to recover, so, you may not want to kill the legs lifting weights if you are anticpating a competitive match the following day.

Gmedlo
08-25-2008, 07:57 AM
After doing compound lifts like squats, deads, cleans, etc, my body is ready after ~16 hours, assuming at least 8 of those were sleep. Nutrition and sleep are key to recovery. I could easily get away with lifting the day before a match, so long as I get it done early in the day.

cncretecwbo
08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
just remember you build muscle during time off, not in the gym.

Kobble
08-25-2008, 09:28 AM
There is a thing out there that suggest slowly building up to a volume of work reduces muscle soreness when you go to greater intesnity. I have found this to be true, but if you switch exercises, you get more sore. When I switched from shoulder width pullups to wide at a greater volume, I experienced more muscle soreness than when I went hard at shoulder width. Different muscle get hit, so you get sore.

Gemini
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM
For me, it's about 72 hours for upper body and 96 hours for lower body. That's 100% recovery to where my tennis in unaffected and I've given my muscles enough time to rebuild fully from lifting.

I only train my legs once a week during the heavy part of the tennis season and twice a week when I'm only able to hit once or twice a week at most. Upper body usually gets twice a week year round if I can fit it in.

In D Zone
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
If i lift weights, lets say quads, core and upper body (everything haha..) how long does it take before those muscles are ready to go 100% for tennis? I have tried to play 24 hours after, and i have no power at all, legs feel sluggish etc. But a couple days later i feel great and feel stronger on the court. So i was curious what is the science behind lifting weights and what is does to the muscles, what is involved with recovery etc.

If you are just starting to lift weights - you will feel the soreness for awhile till you body gets use to it. But for the mean time - take baby steps in getting your muscles / body into this condition.
Try going for lighter weights but more rep rather than go for heavier weighs.

Stretch and try going for more low impact core exercises during off days - keeping you muscles flex and perform some non- weight exercises.

And if possible get a massage every two weeks - definitely will help you body heal quicker.

0range
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
For me personally, I need at least 3 days to "fully recover" / wait until the soreness is gone (I always lift until failure).

However, there's a guy at my uni who's a tennis coach and works at a gym; he said since he play tennis so much he's in constant soreness; he still weight lift regularly, but when he's feeling really tired, he says he just use lighter weights and do more reps.

That guy has excellent body. But he's only 20~21 so I guess he can get with it... 'it' being in the state of constant soreness.