PDA

View Full Version : What is a ' Junk ' ball ?

Tombhoneb
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
On this forum people use the term, throw in a few junk balls to your rally.

What does this mean ?

Mansewerz
08-25-2008, 08:35 AM
A junk ball is a ball that has lots of awkward spin on it, like say a super dropshot that spins back towards the net or angled sidespin.

Moses Man
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I was always under the impression that a junk ball was one with NO particular spin. A deep ball with no pace and/or minimal spin...

xtremerunnerars
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
A junk ball is a ball that has lots of awkward spin on it, like say a super dropshot that spins back towards the net or angled sidespin.

I was always under the impression that a junk ball was one with NO particular spin. A deep ball with no pace and/or minimal spin...

I've heard both things, but 75-80% of the time I hear what mansewerz said.

Applesauceman
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
A ball with a lot of "junk" on it = A ball with a lot of spin on it

This junk or spin can be intentional or unintentional (shank).

Steady Eddy
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I thought it was when someone blows their nose on the ball. The snot is the "junk", this makes it bounce low. And after the match, you'll probably have to replace your strings. Unfortunately, there's no rule against a player doing this. In a tournament, when I see that I have to play someone who uses "junk", I just default, and then I don't have to replace the strings.

MonkeyPox
08-25-2008, 05:05 PM
A junk ball is something the other guy can't seem to get back and tries to think of an excuse as to why that was.

tbini87
08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
i think a junk ball is anything other than your normal shot. it can have no spin, backspin, side spin, or whatever. the pace is also usually slower than your normal shot. it is just a shot you hit to try to throw off your opponent. you might be surprised what a junk ball can do for you in the middle of a rally.

a "junk" serve is also pretty valuable. i often get in a rythm when serving and hit very similar serves over and over again, and the returner gets used to it. if i throw in a fairly soft serve it almost always works in throwing off their return. generally they are WAY out in front of it... or sit back and try to crush it. either way they end up mishitting it.