PDA

View Full Version : opinion on the training ball tied w/ rubber band

jmt
03-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I am just a beginner. I am so tired to run around the court to collect the ball while I am practicing with my friend. That's why he advises me to buy a training ball which is tied with a 4 meter long rubber band on a weight. He says that would improve my hitting skill. Is here anyone might give me an idea about this product which is useful for a beginner or not.

Thank you for help.

Jermaine T.

drop shot
03-29-2004, 07:24 PM
They make a much cheaper version only the racquet, or paddle is made from a balsa wood like material and the ball is made from rubber and connects to the paddle with a staple. It's the same staple used for holding the rubber band on childrens costume masks.

Rackethead
04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Get a ballhopper and a bunch of tennis balls, and collect them all at once. The Gamma 85 hopper is a good one.

PHSTennis
04-11-2004, 07:21 AM
The rubbur band ball stuff... Just sucks, I hit 1 ball on my friends and his band broke... :P cheat stuff. Yeah just collect balls, buy a case off TW and get ball hopper, wont have to worry about picking up too much.

corncob3466
04-13-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah, the rubber band thing really sucks. just buy a can of balls every time you go to wal- mart or something. they'll accumulate fast.

PHSTennis
04-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I dont know if he knew but I tied it and crumbled it and put it in his bad... funny... Yeah I used to buy 1 cans, Just got a case at Costco 12Can/20 somthing PENN. TW sells practice balls pretty cheap...

PHSTennis
04-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Oh you know what, my friends cousin gave him one because he didnt use it, it broke in less than 5 mintues today :)

Kobble
04-26-2004, 10:18 PM
I have tried that gadget, and I think the wall is a better tool for beginners. The wall only costs the price of tennis balls, and you can work on just about every stroke you need. The only thing the gadget is good for is improving your reflexes on low and half volleys, because it comes back at you fast. Every other shot can be learned faster and better on the wall. If money is no option get a quality ball machine. If you want a free way of improving your hand eye coordination, then try some of the Makaimedia games. The ball flies and bounces very realistic, which should help you see the ball better on the court. Check out Garage Door tennis, and the Tennis Channel game. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the ball on a string trainer a five. I would give a ball machine a 9 or 10 depending on the quality. I would give the wall an eight, and the Makaimedia games a six

matchpoints
04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
As Kobble said, go hit against a wall. I would start out on a flat even wall then maybe a brick wall if you want to give your reflexes a go. It's also a bloody good workout as long as you keep moving. Try to keep it above net height and also keep a realistic distance from the wall.

Cheers