PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend best for legs exercise/training/endurance?

Zell
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I'd just wanted to see which exercise/anything would be the best to do to aquire endurance with your legs, to play tennis without getting tired; is it just getting out and start running/jogging or should I be doing other things?

FastFreddy
08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Leg press or 3 sets 8-12 reps and start with half your body weight.

smileydamp
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Leg press won't help much in preventing the tiredness of legs. It only gives strength and explosive power for a moment through contraction.

You will need endurance training which involves running, light weight lunges, stretching and other bodyweight exercises.

WildVolley
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Leg press won't help much in preventing the tiredness of legs. It only gives strength and explosive power for a moment through contraction.

You will need endurance training which involves running, light weight lunges, stretching and other bodyweight exercises.

Not completely true. Strength training has been shown to give endurance benefits in the studies I've seen. Most serious endurance track athletes now lift weights, though obviously not to the extent of the sprinters.

I'm a fan of interval type training instead of jogging. However, if you're in very bad shape, you want to start slowly. Eventually, you want to do repeated sprints at full speed with a rest period. As your legs get in better shape, you can do shuttle drills which involve changing direction very quickly and picking up objects off the ground.

atatu
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Squats, lunges, side lunges, step ups, lunges with bands, plyometrics....all are better than leg presses for tennis players.

JRstriker12
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd just wanted to see which exercise/anything would be the best to do to aquire endurance with your legs, to play tennis without getting tired; is it just getting out and start running/jogging or should I be doing other things?

Combo of strength training, sprints/interval cardio

As some people suggested, do squats, lunges, or leg presses, but also do some cardio that simulates match conditions.

Based on what I've read, most tennis points last about 25 seconds and you get about 30 seconds to rest before the next point start, so do sprints or cardio exercise where you work hard for 25 seconds and then return to a slower pace for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat this interval about 5 to 7 times, but increase the number intervals as your endurance improves.

ojingoh
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Weights are great, they will give you some extra strength, and a little extra energy -- the largest muscles in the body will store a lot of glycogen, and every little bit helps.

I would suggest getting a bike and start riding. It's a good synergy with tennis: basically no impact but intense, especially on upper leg muscles. It will greatly increase your VO2 max and recovery, if you train hard at it. HIIT on bikes is a little harder, you will be going far faster than running HIITs up a hill or stairs, but it's very doable. Two quick things to be aware of though: don't slack off good bike fit, you can screw up your back, knees and wrist easily with bad bike fit and add extra calcium and magnesium to your diet, cyclists tend to sweat a lot more than they realize and loose some bone mass more than other athletes.

The only cardio exercise i think that's better for a tennis player is swimming.

superman1
09-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Weight training is your best bet. A guy with big, strong legs who never plays tennis or does much running could get out there and play (horribly) for 2 hours and his legs would be perfectly fresh. Quads, hamstrings, and calves. Work them.

You should also do sprints and cycling.

Il Mostro
09-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Some good advise here. I'll add hill sprints or stairs (or any other comparable high intensity/short to moderate duration) running. Also, do a search for plyometric training. Endurance is all well and good, but in tennis we need to be able to repeat fast, explosive bursts. This is what plyometrics will help with. You may want to substitute "power" for "strength" -- they are different.

Tofuspeedstar
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Squat and Lunge.