PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V1 Classic - Questions

hughfree
03-29-2004, 03:22 AM
I recently picked up a couple of used Volkl V1 Classics. I have to admit that I did not think that I would like a lighter so called "tweener" frame. However, I now have to admit that I was wrong. The frame plays heavier than expected. I have been able to handle pace with good results. Ground strokes are solid and dependable. I am having a little trouble generating topspin on my 1 handed BH but I will blame that on winter inactivity. I have had no problems with spin or flat serves (I am not a big bomber. I depend more on spin and placement). I have most impressed with how the racket performs at the net, very manuverable and stable.

I liked the racket so much I felt that it was worth burning a store credit (that I had at a local tennis retailer) on a new frame. I got the frame home and notice that Volkl had changed the cosmetics. I also noticed that the tension range had been changed from 54 - 64 lbs to 52 - 62 lbs. I also noticed that when "dressed out" my new racket was .2 of an ounce lighter (I know that this is within allowable tolerances).

My questions, to those who are familiar with the V1 Classic. are these:

1. How long ago did Volkl change the graphics and tension range?
2. Has anyone found that the new graphics model is stringing out lighter than the older graphics model?
3. Has anyone noticed a difference in playability between the old and the new.

Thanks for your input!

marc tressard
03-29-2004, 04:13 AM
That V1 with its offshoots is indeed a classic where we usually see product come and go like Johns at a brothel. As you know there is normal spec range in even the best rackets. What is published is a target or average spec and two frames can be "in spec" with, in the worst case scenario, are you sitting?, a .4 ounce weight variance and 4 points in balance! True, such differences are not common, yet within spec. This is a reason that pros may ask for custom moulds or require careful matching of their frames. Consider too that string jobs with different machines and or stringers can change playability! As you see man mfrs arer making some "V1" in their lineup -- a little longer, a little wider a bit lighter, but surely a bow to the Volkl design! Volkl for its part made a V1 Hot Spot, with a little different wgt/balance and head shape and it was underwhelming. Some claim the Q V1 is being phased out too and may not play as well. I have read published specs for the V1 varying from 11 ounces to 10.5 strung! I have also read that the SW for the Classic is as much as 15 units higher than the QV1. Look, when you shell out $200 for a racket you can ask the seller to match specs and order one close to the average. This isn't some $70 close out.

hughfree
03-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Marc,
Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct regarding spec variations. I have owned more rackets than I care to admit and have experienced first hand the large swing in specs that you have mentioned. I have also found that many times when a company changes graphics on a racket it also corresponds to a change in playing characteristics. Many times the change in graphics represents a change in manufacturing plant. Some would argue that this is psychological, many would argue that the racket has changed. Several recent example would be the C-10 Pro, Prince Graphite Classic, HPS 6.1, Pro Tour 280 just to mention a few. I become even more leary when a manufacturer changes the recommended tension range.

I have also found that when changes take place many times the "average" spec changes as well (i.e the 10.8 ounce average listed may now be 10.6 average). As an example, I have owned dozens of the POG OS and not one of the rackets strung out at 12.3 ounces (the average weight listed by TW since their website was introduced). All of them strung out at 12.1 ounces or lighter. All this being said. I realize that a little lead tape goes a long way. I just wanted to get feedback from those who have used the racket. Also, of all the rackets that I have used over the years, Volkl has been the most consistent at hitting their design specs.

James Reed
03-29-2004, 12:25 PM
I do not know much about the swing weight of Volkl and differences. I do know that everytime I try another brand racquet that I always come back to my Volkl V1 Classic. Overall, it does better than any other racquet I have tried thus far. Given that you know how the Volkl Classic plays, please let me know if you have tried another racquet that equals or comes close to how the Volkl plays.

NoBadMojo
03-29-2004, 01:50 PM
i think volkl has made a few cosmetic changes on this bat..they've had it in the line for like 10 years now which says alot about how nicely this thing plays. in fact i think they have an anniversary edition out now, w. special cosmetics. i think the specs are much tighter now than in the older days altho there is an acceptable tolernace..always best to buy your frames in at least pairss and have the place match the two frames as close as possible and you should be able to advise them as to which is more impt to you (ie weight or balance). sometimes a racquet specs out lighter, but it is a little less headlight and the 'playing' weight can be close. i have 4 t10mps and only one feels a little different to me but that has all gut in it which is a little heavier....i havent even felt the need to spec them out since they feel the same to me save 1. also agree w. the poster that says specs can change when cosmetics or manufacturing plant changes. i used c8 pros for a long time..i had 4 w. older graphics that played alike and 2 w. the last graphics before they were dropped, and the two were much heavier than the 4. i dont think .4 oz is an accpetable tolerance....i would like to think the better manufacturers are tighter than that. Ed

dwst
03-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the v1classic and the tour 8. How similar are the two, how much less power does the 8 have? Play characteristic similarities/differences. Insights appreciated. Thanks, Dave