PDA

View Full Version : Recomendation for Endurance Training

tree90
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Recently as I've been getting better, and playing a higher level, and more physical tennis I've noticed that I have had trouble staying in a point for the time needed. This is becoming more and more of problem for me as I am not able to last in a tight three set match, or the long important points. So do you guys have any recommendations for workouts that will help my endurance. For the past 2 weeks or so I've been running about 3.5 miles in about 40 mintues with the treadmill on a slight incline every 3 days. So should I just keep doing this or do you guys have any better suggestions. Thanks.

Babb
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Every three days? I think every other day would help more. But I wouldn't recommend every day because that results in shin splints.

Been there, done that. Shin splints are not fun.

In D Zone
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
aside from running , try riding a bike or join a spinners class. Its less taxing on your joints and muscles.

I believe swimming laps is another great endurance training.

JRstriker12
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Recently as I've been getting better, and playing a higher level, and more physical tennis I've noticed that I have had trouble staying in a point for the time needed. This is becoming more and more of problem for me as I am not able to last in a tight three set match, or the long important points. So do you guys have any recommendations for workouts that will help my endurance. For the past 2 weeks or so I've been running about 3.5 miles in about 40 mintues with the treadmill on a slight incline every 3 days. So should I just keep doing this or do you guys have any better suggestions. Thanks.

Mix some interval training in with your long runs.

Tennis involves short periods of intense exertion with short periods of rest. Points last about 25 secs and you get 30 secs before you are supposed to start the next point - so running relatively slow (3.5 miles in 40 minutes is prob at less than a 6 mph pace) isn't perparing you for what you have to do in matches.

Check the USTA site for some sprint training drills - you can also do something like suicides or sprinting from the baseling to parts of the court for 25 sec, then resting for 30 and reapeating 4 or 5 times - then adding additional reps as you build indurance.

On the treadmill you can do intervals by increasing the speed or incline for a certain amount of time then returning it to a slower pace ( sprint 30 sec - 9mph / run 1 min - 6 mph - repeat 10x).

Nellie
08-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Per JR Striker above, you need more intervals. running builds a good fitness base, but you will need more tennis specific training. Specifically, you will need short, high intensity intervals. Try, for example, alternating a minute of jumping rope and for a minute of rest. I also do box jumping - jumping on and off a box for about a minute, with rest in between. Similarly, you can do sprint intervals - dash 100 yards/meters, walk back, repeat. If you really want to improve your tennis and improve your quickness, you will do tennis specific sprints, such as starting at the tee of the service/center line and running diagonolly to and back each corner of the court/ net post. (kind of like a shuttle run).

In D Zone
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Basically, add Plyometric exercises to your training. The start and stop routine exercises training are for agility and footwork conditioning - its totally different from edurance training.

You still need to work on your ability to play/ go the distance - YES, Endurance workout is still needed i.e. 1 - 2 miles of jogging, swimming , bike riding or what ever it may be.

tree90
08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
alright thanks for the advice guys. And just to clarify should I continue running the long distance, or should I just focus on the tennis specific interval training.

In D Zone
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
alright thanks for the advice guys. And just to clarify should I continue running the long distance, or should I just focus on the tennis specific interval training.

Answer is both plus.... Cross training is always better which includes some weighs and core (pilate training).

JRstriker12
08-27-2008, 02:01 PM

Can't hurt to do a mix of both

malakas
08-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Too much endurance training is actually catabolic meaning it burns muscle.HIIT though it burns smaller grams of actual fat doesn't lead to muscle loss.
The best is the happy medium.I do 2x HIIT and 2x1-1.5 h endurance(running/swimming) per week.So,you get both fat loss,and at least muscle retaining.

pmata814
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Every three days? I think every other day would help more. But I wouldn't recommend every day because that results in shin splints.

Been there, done that. Shin splints are not fun.

Sorry to hijack the thread but...HOW DID YOU GET RID OF THE SHIN SPLINTS?

Fedace
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Swimming is the best way to go if you are trying to avoid putting stress on the joints. Michael Phelps 400 M swim every day will help you alot.

f1 tech
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I always think that hitting against the wall at a good pace can also increase tennis endurance. It's requires timing, footwork, and quickness. It can get pretty intense.

KBlade Pro
09-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Swimming is great for overall endurance. You could also look at the Tabata protocol. I think you can just google it. It's a version of interval training developed by a researcher in Japan for their national skiing team. He has a few papers published in peer review journals so the protocol has some scientific basis although I’ve only found papers with animal subjects. In a 14min workout, you increase both aerobic and anaerobic capacity. You can look the papers on pubmed or medline.

LuckyR
09-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Purely for endurance I'd go with the bike. More tennis focussed than swimming and easier on your legs than running (although running intervals would be great for speed).

Rickson
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Keep on running.

counter_puncher
09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
tHERES thIS thING aROUND.

gO rUNNING wITH a pARTNER.

bRING bOXING gLOVES AND thE otHER pADS.

yOU wEAR tHE bOXING gLOVES.

sO, yOU gO ruNNING fOR, lETS sAY a tOTAL oF 3-4 mILES. hOWEVER, eVERY 3 mINUTES, yOU sTOP rUNNING aND sTART bOXING foR a mINUTE

iVE nEVER dONE iT mY sELF, bUT iT lOOKS eXTREMELY tIRING.

tree90
09-05-2008, 06:13 PM
ok thank you guys for all the help. so for about two weeks now i've been running on the treadmill for about 20 minutes every other day doing interval training. I put the treadmill on a slight incline and go for about 30 or 40 seconds on speed 8.0 or higher, then go down to a slow jog for about 30 seconds.

After i get off the treadmill I either do at least 5 sets of 100 jump ropes with a minute break in between each, or i sprint up a set of 15 steps, then walk down, then sprint back up, 15 times.

What do you guys think of that routine, as it gets easier I will make it more difficult.