PDA

View Full Version : Terrible, Terrible Racquet Problem

lude popper
01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
A Buddy of mine purchased a racquet on the advice of one of the posters here. Apparently the kid was 13 and wasn't qualified to advise an adult 4.0 player. The racquet turned out to be a bust -- Babolat BallFighter, a junior frame, I think 23 inches. the kid was very articulate for his age and made an incredibly convincing argument, but the racquet just wasn't stable enough for my buddy.

The Background: my buddy knows nothing about gear and doesn't take tennis seriously, he just happens to hit a nice ball and came to this sight for some help. He doesn't understand racquet specs, doesn't have the time or energy: tennis is an occaisional hobby that he happens to be good at, like every sport he plays.

Anyway, once my friend played with the racquet and discovered the age of his advisor, he got upset. I assured him that there was a truly diverse mix of intelligent people here... and that there was good and bad advice to be had at every age level...and that I had received tons of great advice (which is true!).

jayserinos99
01-31-2005, 07:44 PM
just curious, did he buy the racquet at TW? i'm pretty sure that if talked to someone they would have straightened him out and maybe would have bought the regular sized 300g.

btw, do you have the exact post your buddy asked for advice in?

lude popper
01-31-2005, 07:47 PM
I'll try to find it -- it happened over a year ago. he said the sales person tried to talk him out of it, but the 13 yr old who advised him said -- in his own 13yr old way -- to proceed regardless because the frame was THAT GOOD.

ibemadskillzz
01-31-2005, 07:55 PM
you can never trust people on this board. it is full of young brats

ej
01-31-2005, 08:01 PM
dude, your friend got hooked by a 13 yr old. he's 40 and purchased a junior racquet. c'mon man.

hyperwarrior2004
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
dude, your friend got hooked by a 13 yr old. he's 40 and purchased a junior racquet. c'mon man.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
lude, why didn't YOU talk your buddy out of it? Did you know he was doing it at the time? Any adult should know it would be ridiculous to play with a junior racquet. Sorry, but I can't get too upset about this, if he questioned the advice at all, any pro shop would have told him the advice is senseless. If 15 minutes in a pro shop isn't worth the price of a new racquet to him, then he has nothing to complain about.

To put it more bluntly: He didn't do his homework and he got taken. Guess he'll never do that again. This is the *internet*. Anyone can post here, and anyone can act like anyone else. Adults should know better.

PrestigeClassic
01-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Your friend got punked.

finchy
01-31-2005, 09:04 PM
lol...pwnd...

goober
01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Why didn't your friend go to you for advice?

There is no convincing argument for an 40 year old adult to buy a junior racquet (unless your friend is maybe a dwarf). If a 13 year old did post that advice on a thread he would be bombarded by multiple posters about how ridiculous it is to buy a junior racquet.

Zverev
01-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Mister admin, could you please dump this thread into Odds section.
Thanks

LafayetteHitter
01-31-2005, 09:40 PM
And if he is such a moron that he purchased this racquet on that advice, here is more bad news for you, NO 4.0 player I know would be stupid enough to fall for that advice, I think someone is playing a prank here.

Scott

matchpoints
01-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Doesn't make sense to buy something without trying it first. By the way, why the gripe a YEAR later?

Deuce
01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
The initial post made it obvious at the end of the second sentence that it was BS. Not to mention the title.

Amazing - and frightening - that so many believed it, and even offered commentary.

Truly amazing...

PrestigeClassic
02-01-2005, 12:52 PM
We got punked.

BreakPoint
02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Maybe lude is the 13 year old himself?

PrestigeClassic
02-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Double-punked.

ibemadskillzz
02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
we all got punked, lude is 8 years old. I love it when they make stories up.

BHud
02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Didn't Roddick switch to a Pure Drive Junior model in the 4th set against Hewitt at the AO...lol

How did your buddy even hold a 4.0 grip (and that's not short for 4-1/2)?

Pushmaster
02-01-2005, 06:22 PM
You mean to tell me the salesperson tried to talk the 40 y.o. guy out of buying a junior stick, and the 13 y.o. kid insisted he get it anyway because it was "better"? I don't know man, that sounds pretty weird?

lude popper
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
after my buddy talked to the sales person he called the 13 yr old and said he was not going to get the racquet. the kid asked my buddy what he would do if a sales person told him to jump off a bridge.

so -- after a litte more yelling back and fourth -- my buddy gave in; he called TW and got the racquet. He's not a gear person and he was tried of dealing with this problem. Moreover, this kid was the only poster willing to go the extra mile. So my friend took a risk; he trusted another human being. [I don't understand why people are attacking me because my friend made a stupid mistake. -have you ever made a stupid mistake? Sure, the kid is young, but my friend didn't know how young until after buying the frame. my friend said he sounded older on the phone]

LafayetteHitter
02-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Yea nobody ever lies in a forum! BTW I am a 6.0 touring pro making my living playing tennis, I drive a brand new Hummer, and I am the guy that bought Agassi's Cali house. Yea that's me

Scott

ibemadskillzz
02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
lol at lafay

dantyem108
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
why was this "40 year old" calling a 13 year old anyway? Sounds a bit weird. I guess there are more people like Mike than I thought. Your choice I guess..........

Loserfoo
02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
why would a 13 year old be playing with a junior racquet? he should be big enough to use a standard size racquet. LOL

allcourter
02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
PrestigeClassic.....hahahha....punked-out, dude, totally !!

Gaines Hillix
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
A Buddy of mine purchased a racquet on the advice of one of the posters here. Apparently the kid was 13 and wasn't qualified to advise an adult 4.0 player. The racquet turned out to be a bust -- dunlop 300G junior/26 inches. the kid was very articulate for his age and made an incredibly convincing argument, but the racquet just wasn't stable enough for my buddy (who thought the smaller frame would buy him an extra step).

My buddy knows nothing about gear and doesn't take tennis seriously, he just happens to hit a nice ball and came to this sight for some help. He doesn't care about racquet categories, doesn't have the time or energy: tennis is an occaisional hobby that he happens to be good at, like every sport he plays.

Anyway, once my friend played with the racquet and discovered the age of his advisor, he vowed never to return to this board. He said he was a 40 yr old man surrounded by a bunch of teenage chat addicts. I assured him that there was a truly diverse mix of people here... and that there was good and bad advice to be had at every age level...

I doubt you're serious, but if this is how your 40 year old buddy decides on all of his purchases my guess is he's driving a 10 year Honda Civic V-Tec with a nitrous kit on it!

lude popper
02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I will say it again: My friend needed a racquet. He posted a question here and a young kid told him to get what turned out to be a junior frame, saying that it had a unique combination of spin and control. He told him not to worry about it being a junior racquet (especially because my friend only had recreational aspirations, which the kid kept pointing out. he kept telling my friend not to get hung-up on racquet categories, and that great frames -- truly great frames -- are more than just a collection of specs. he said that anybody who thinks that a racquet is just a collection of specs has never played with a St. Vincent's Prostaff). My friend kept asking the kid if he was joking. The kid kept pushing. [for all he knew, this kid may have been older. my friend only knows what he was told]

Remember: my friend knows nothing about tennis, nothing. He just happens to hit a solid ball off both wings -- he's a 4.0 (fyi: he used to play sattalite golf tournaments -- he's very talented at everything he does).

point is: he trusted the kid. story over. Perhaps this whole things was a comedy of errors. Who knows?

dantyem108
02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
go ahead and tell us

Craig Sheppard
02-02-2005, 01:46 PM
I've been reading these boards for quite a long timeand never heard anyone recommend a Babolat Ballfighter.... just like dantyem108 said, go ahead an tell us, what do you have to lose? The kid is a punk and needs to be taught a lesson... Unless the story's a total fake like everyone is thinking...

tennisplayer3
02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
my guess is its that kid that posts in the different colors all the time.

BaselineAce
02-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Yea, the moral of the story is never buy a tennis racquet without demoing. :)

loubapache
02-03-2005, 12:32 PM
It is sometimes cheaper to by a (used) racket, play with it, and sell it, if one does not like it. The used racquets do not have much depreciation in them anymore.

In the last month or so, I probably bought and sold 10 racquets and it actually did not cost me anything in the "trades". Now I am consolidating onto the Pro Staff 6.0's.

LafayetteHitter
02-03-2005, 01:41 PM
I think it proves some people are complete nimrods!

kobun
02-03-2005, 01:45 PM
psshhhhh...
yellow punkers

Serve-And-Volley
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok... This is the weirdest story I've heard your friend must know nothing about tennis. I would like to say in defense of all us teenagers though some of us our mature and give good honest advice.. like me!

Pushmaster
02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Ok... This is the weirdest story I've heard your friend must know nothing about tennis.He knows nothing about tennis or racquets, but he "hits solid off both wings"? LOL

Datacipher
02-03-2005, 06:13 PM
he called the 13 yr old and said he was pulling out, too much heat, thanks anyway. the 13 yr old told my buddy that "great people make their own rules and that history was cruel to the meek" and then he asked what he (my buddy) would do if a sales person told him to jump off a bridge.

"GREAT PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN RULES...HISTORY CRUEL TO THE MEEK....SO BUY A KIDS RACQUET"?!!!

PRICELESS. I give you credit Lude, this is a funny post.

If this were actually true, why would your buddy want to admit that he is a complete doorknob!? Why would you want to even admit you know him? C'mon now!

Pushmaster
02-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Man, this is one of the funniest forum threads that I've read in all my days on the internet. lude popper is da MAN!!

matchpoints
02-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Yea nobody ever lies in a forum! BTW I am a 6.0 touring pro making my living playing tennis, I drive a brand new Hummer, and I am the guy that bought Agassi's Cali house. Yea that's me

Scott

No way man! That's totally awesome. I think you should throw a party an invite lude for story telling.

Tenny
02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Lude, are you your buddy? Or is your buddy you? Also, 4.0 doesn't come easy. Even for guys like Tiger Woods or M. Jordon, it will take some time.

Just go ahead and give us the names-your buddy and that 13yr old (now maybe 14yr old). Or have your buddy come here and post a message himself. There have been many ups and downs but I really enjoy this site and have respect for many members. Whether your buddy returns to TW or not is totally his desicion.

equinox
02-06-2005, 06:31 AM
I've broken all my racquet strings and been forced to borrow a junior sized Head LM and still won comfortably with it.

So don't completely dismiss the junior racquet. With a little lead tape applied, it may play ok.

Go kill'em junior! ;)

Veritas
02-06-2005, 10:22 AM
lude popper should be banned.

Marc C.
02-06-2005, 10:36 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

hahahahahaha

equinox
07-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I suppose he can pass it off to his kids.

will1087
07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
He posted a question here and a 13 yr old told him to get the Babolat Ballfighter, saying that it had an unbeliveable combination of spin and control. My friend rejected it.

http://www.tennis.com.cn/upload/2005-12/06/Ballfighter-80.jpg

My question is:

Whats the kid's motive for deceiving your, albiet stupid, friend? Why would your friend even listen to him after seeing the above racquet?

I call shenanigans.

Court_Jester
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
This is an 18-month-old thread. Why the heck are you guys bringing this up?! :mad:

Bobcat07
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow.....you must have a lot of free time to go back and dig up a thread that started a year and a half ago.

will1087
07-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Wow.....you must have a lot of free time to go back and dig up a thread that started a year and a half ago.

holy crap.. hahah...i didnt realize the thread was a year old.

tonyjh63
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM

LOL! Just ran across this thread...funny stuff. Hopefully, this 40 year old hasn't/will not reproduce, so he can't pass the racquet off to his kids!

Marat Safinator
07-04-2006, 02:59 PM

that is pretty funny.

rounick
07-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Go sunflex.
Unbelievable spin.
Lacks a little power,but..

emcee
07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah that Ballfighter looks pretty boss. Hahaha.

lude popper
12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah that Ballfighter looks pretty boss. Hahaha.

FYI: my friend sent the racquet back -- he is embarrassed and angry. He did not see a picture of this racquet prior to purchase. the kid who recommended it still posts regularly.

Duzza
12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
lude popper, sorry, I didn't specify. I meant 300G Adult version.

SFrazeur
12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I will say it again: My friend needed a racquet. He posted a question here and a 13 yr old told him to get the Babolat Ballfighter, saying that it had a unique combination of spin and control. He told him not to worry about it being a junior racquet (especially because my friend only had recreational aspirations, which the kid kept pointing out. he said that racquet categories were meaningful up to a point, but after that, it was mostly marketing). My friend kept asking the kid if he was joking. The 13 yr old kept pushing. [for all we know, this kid may have been older]

Remember: my friend knows nothing about tennis, nothing. He just happens to hit a solid ball off both wings -- he's a 4.0 (fyi: he used to play sattalite golf tournaments -- he's very talented at everything he does).

point is: he trusted the kid. story over. I'm tempted to "out" the kid because he still posts among us. I find it funny that he hasn't posted on this thread. I'd love to hear him own up to this.

http://www.tennis.com.cn/upload/2005-12/06/Ballfighter-80.jpg

Roddick's real racquet...No, joking, that is funny though. Never trust a 13 year old kid, a 40 year-old should know that. YES, do out the person, we should know.

Also, what user name was your friend posting under?

Kabob190
12-18-2006, 10:17 PM
buying a racquet with out even seeing it? i dunno why any one would buy anything that they didnt even see pictures of at least. hey that 13 yr. old is gonna grow up to be some mean used car salesman some day.

DRtenniS1112
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Wait...How did this racket go from being a junior 300g to that ungly Babolat junior.

SFrazeur
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
lude popper should be banned.

This is a ponderous post, following many calls for the mystery 13 year old to be ousted. Not accusing, but it is rather ponderous though.

lude popper
12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Wait...How did this racket go from being a junior 300g to that ungly Babolat junior.

I didn't know which junior frame it was when I made the original post -- so I just filled that detail in. [My friend kept saying "stupid junior frame". He was ANGRY, so I didn't press]. He later clarified all the details and I updated this post to reflect the truth. I'm also hoping the kid explains what happened. My friend is over it. Who knows, maybe the kid was being straight-up; maybe my friend didn't communicate clearly. I've only heard one side. This is not a big deal; I'm just kind of curious to hear the other side -- AND I WAS hoping the kid would explain why he recommended a 23 inch frame to an adult.

crazylevity
12-18-2006, 11:27 PM
I call B.S. No 40 yr old would trust a 13 yr old's advice without getting at least a 2nd opinion. No 4.0 tennis player would buy a junior racquet; just playing that much and at that level would expose one to the usual tennis racquets used at that level.

lude popper
12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I call B.S. No 40 yr old would trust a 13 yr old's advice without getting at least a 2nd opinion. No 4.0 tennis player would buy a junior racquet; just playing that much and at that level would expose one to the usual tennis racquets used at that level.

My friend never saw a picture of the frame prior to purchase. He's not a spec person. He doesn't play that much tennis. I've driven on a Harley Davidson, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to look for if I was buying a motorcycle.

federer_nadal
12-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Your "40 year old buddy" got what he deserved, who goes out and buys anything without looking at it. Even when i first started i would look at a tennis racquet before buying it. And i was like 13 and only just starting. This dude was just asking for trouble.

tennisbass
12-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Amazing...you guys are too much. This thread should be revived on April 1st, NOT NOW!

Sagittar
12-28-2006, 05:45 PM
how does a 40 year old purchase a 23 inch frame even if he was adviced by tennis god? can anyone tell me ?