PDA

View Full Version : HELP My Big Toe!!!

0range
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
There's a giant horizontal crack in the middle of my left big toe... what do I do!? How do I stop it from spreading!?? I don't want to lose half of my toenail...!

(ps. I got it from playing tennis 5x a week.)

kindaliketennis
08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
how the heck did that happen!

i'm guessing people will suggest wrapping it up so it stays in place!

tennismike33
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Try super glue. In the "old days" we had to improvise and SG was the best thing around. Also, try a pedicure occasionally, best money a player can spend.

0range
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
^^^ can you be more specific as to how to use that super glue? I'll go find a super glue in the basement right now...

0range
08-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Btw anymore tricks from the "old days" to prevent toe nails being trashed from playing tennis?

tennismike33
08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=0range;2650152]Btw anymore tricks from the "old days" to prevent toe nails being trashed from playing tennis?[/QUO

Glad you are open to new ideas. Squeeze the nail together, apply SG, hold in place for 60 seconds and let the SG bond with your nail. Keeps it snug and allows it to heal without more cracking.

I play 6 days a week and taking care of my feet is VERY important. I NEVER clip my nails within a week of playing in a tournament, don't want to develop hang nails or clip it too close by accident. Pedicures is something new, once a quarter normally keeps my feet in good shape. Run your hand inside of your shoes, if there is excessive wear near your big toe you might want to consider different shoes.

Gmedlo
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Wearing tennis shoes that have enough space in the heel for at least one finger to fit when your foot is all the way to the end helps drastically. The idea is that once you have the shoe laced up, your foot can't slide forward and isn't touching the end, so your toes are protected. Just make sure you're lacing tight enough and your shoe isn't too wide and this method works every time.