PDA

View Full Version : Advice on College Tennis

Tikiman53
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey guys,

I searched through the forums, and I couldn't really find the answers to all these questions I have. To start off, I'm 15 years old. I'm gonna be a sophomore in a socal highschool. I've been playing tennis for about 3-4 years, and I'm a strong 4.0. I haven't been playing many tournaments. I've only played in 3, and when I did play them, which was like a year ago, I basically got owned. :). But I have lots of time now, and this year, i'm going to play at least one tournament per month, and I also get lessons twice a week. I really love this game, and I'm willing to work really hard for it.

What colleges are great academically but have makeable tennis teams? I love tennis, but I also love my education. And I have my eyes on top colleges like UCLA and Stanford and Duke. But I also know that these schools have great tennis teams and I would have to hope for a miracle to get onto one of these -.-

If a college is D1, does that mean it has a good academic program too? I mean, would you see top colleges with D3 tennis or something? I'm a little confused about that.

What is club tennis like? Is it still very competitive and intense?

Can you guys recommend some colleges that I should look into?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. You guys are great! Btw, I'm a guy.

10isDad
08-27-2008, 04:19 AM
I would first recommend your high school counselors.

D3 schools are generally private schools. The academics at many of them are extremely good and many of the schools have tennis teams. D3 schools cannot offer athletic scholarships but most are very adept at finding you grant/scholarship money if you have what you want...

jaggy
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Are you male or femal? More money for girls athletically in tennis, much more money nationally for academics. Get the best GPA and SAT and you will be very interesting as a walk on to many college.

10isDad
08-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Are you male or femal?

Btw, I'm a guy.

Actually, women's tennis is a head count sport, therefore all scholarships given for tennis are full-ride scholarships. With men's tennis, the coach can divide scholarships (or in many cases, give the tennis scholarships to foreigners whilst any American players on the team try to get by w/ academic scholarships).

Master Flow
08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
sOMEONE DIDN'T DO THERE HOMEWORK. i did this topic about ummm a month or 2 ago. you can find it in this forum or just quick search my name in threads!