PDA

View Full Version : Spadea and the POG

Craig Sheppard
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Noticed Vinnie is using the POG... Something doesn't add up to me... he's got a P stencil on his racquet which seems to mean he's got sponsorship, is a top player, yet uses the oldest racquet in their line which they don't promote. Why doesn't he have a paintjob of one of their newer frames? Is he not sponsored but still promotes them w/ a stencil out of the kindness of his whitebread rapping heart?

BLiND
02-01-2005, 02:25 AM
Probably Prince don't think he's good enough to give a paintjob... OR they are no good at painjobs... I know they use to say Coria used the NXG, then they would show a picture of him CLEARLY using a POG lol HOW stupid do they think people are?

Richie Rich
02-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Spadea used to have a TT Graphite paintjob on his POG a few years ago. Don't know what happened with the NXG paint job.

AndrewD
02-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Craig, perhaps Prince thinks (and I wouldnt blame them) that Vinnie will never be the kind of player who actually sells racquets and, since they still produce the POG, it wouldn't hurt to have one player out there endorsing the model. Somehow I doubt that's the truth, makes way too much sense LOL.

Colpo
02-01-2005, 11:04 AM
It's a good question, and it represents the other side of the coin that's often discussed here (that is, that so many pros do use cosmetically deceptive frames). Here's a guy who seemingly doesn't.

Maybe Vinnie just gets grandfathered in ... he's literally been playing with the POG OS since he was a top-ranked junior almost twenty years ago (no exaggeration!). Back then, he was tall and doughy when compared with others in his age group, but pretty talented all told.

The most simple explanantion is probably the correct one: that Prince generally gives its paintjobs to only those pros with the greatest likelihood of industry face-time, or pros with certain "flair." Vinnie's fluctuating rank, his age, and his inconsistent results probably don't meet Prince's threshold level.

pchoi04
02-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Well... Sampras didn't use a paint job because he thought the paintjob would mess up the feel of the racquet. I think the players ultimately have the choice even though there sponsored but when they refuse to get a paint job they get paid less.