PDA

View Full Version : Why are they not using the US Open Towels this year?

OldNews
08-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I ordered a US Open Towel for my son. Last year we watched and he thought they were cool. This year he is off at college and I had one sent to him. Now on TV I see only the white towels, none like I ordered. What’s up with that?

Hey it took my 53 years to join here, be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Fedace
08-27-2008, 11:39 AM
It is just too expensive. they spend too much money in that opening ceremony to fly in those superstars. They are using those generic Motel 6 white towels they stole from them over summer.

OldNews
08-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks Fedace, it looks like I "thru in the towel" by ordering too soon. Next time I will stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Bill

Serpententacle
08-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Maybe it's some sort of "green" initiative?

Swissv2
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe it's some sort of "green" initiative?

it's most likely a money issue than a green issue.

Serpententacle
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
it's most likely a money issue than a green issue.

What do you mean? The US Open is rolling in $$$ w/ all the sponsors & ticket sales, etc... Towels are cheap as hell, too.

OldNews
08-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Last year they all were US Open custom. They were cool because they were the "same as the pros used".

Fee
08-27-2008, 06:01 PM
They use white towels on the outer courts and the logo towels on Ashe stadium only. The USO is not like Wimbledon and the AO, they do not like it when the players keep those towels as souvenirs and they practically have their own security detail. But the players have been using them, I've seen them during the night sessions on USA.

But I got one last year anyway, ha! And 'Justin time' too. ;)

robkat
08-28-2008, 04:25 AM
They use white towels on the outer courts and the logo towels on Ashe stadium only. The USO is not like Wimbledon and the AO, they do not like it when the players keep those towels as souvenirs and they practically have their own security detail. But the players have been using them, I've seen them during the night sessions on USA.

But I got one last year anyway, ha! And 'Justin time' too. ;)

I noticed the colored towels at night as well on Ashe the first 2 nights. I thought I saw Federer throw one into the crowd after his match on Tuesday night. I'm sure the USTA Like that. During the Roddick match last night, I did not notice any colored towels. They were using the white towels

OldNews
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
The US Open towel came in the mail today. Fast shipping / very high quality. However for $38 it better be. You could get a 1/2 dozen white ones for the same price but they would not quite be the same.

I am shipping it off to my son at college. It's my guess that when he comes home in the spring he will still have it, as it is nice and he takes care of his gear.

Thanks
Bill

TourTenor
08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I ordered a US Open Towel for my son. Last year we watched and he thought they were cool. This year he is off at college and I had one sent to him. Now on TV I see only the white towels, none like I ordered. What’s up with that?
Bill
Glad you asked ... The Director of Laundry at the USO, Seymour Whites, has admitted that he made the biggest mistake of his career, one that was 'relatively spotless' to date. He accidently spilled some bleach in with the 'Tide' and completely wiped out the beautiful red, white and blue on a large batch of the trademark cotton towels. Mr. Whites was quoted as saying: "I've got to 'come clean' ... errr ... I have been 'dying' to tell someone, ahhhh, .... This is really a 'major load' off of my mind ...":oops:

OldNews
08-29-2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks TT, I watched USA last night and the logo towels were everywhere. I jumped too soon.

Bill

OldNews
08-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks TT, I saw the logo towels everywhere on USA last night. Looks like I through in the towel too soon.

Bill

OldNews
08-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Now I am double posting, looks like the first signs of dementia.

I am SORRY
Bill

drake
08-30-2008, 08:49 PM
No, Dementieva plays Sunday night!