PDA

View Full Version : back from hand injury, is this normal? Wrist: Grinding. popping.

tennisxlsdk
08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok, so I had injured my right hand, bone bruise and I had to wear a wrist splint for 3 weeks and then 4 more weeks I didn't play till I got my mobility, strength etc. etc. back. My wrist was perfectly fine, injury in the hand caused pain only in the right lower backside of the hands and a lot of swelling in the palms.

It has been 8 weeks now and it is still not 100%, though I can tell my hand is healed cos areas that hurt like hell when I picked up a racquet do not anymore and no swelling. As a result of the 3 + 4 weeks of immobility, my hand and wrist got very weak and now my wrist gets sore from playing. Also when I bend my wrists or rotate there is a grinding feeling/noise and occasional popping.

Is this grinding normal? Something to so with mass not built up yet? What do you guys recommend, should I stop playing for now or play once a week and other light exercises to get back strength.

Gmedlo
08-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes, it's normal. Your best option right now is to strengthen your wrist. Do wrist curls with your palm facing down with VERY LITTLE weight, then wrist curls with your thumb facing upward, and pronation/supination with a hammer, holding it at the end of each action. Those four exercises should strengthen your wrist pretty well and help keep it in place to reduce the popping and movement.

tennisxlsdk
08-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I have 2, 3 and 5 lb weights, I guess I should stick with those forn now, but can do 12 reps with the 5lbs easily. Good enough? Thanks.

And I guess stay off tennis for some more time to be safe??