PDA

View Full Version : Playing pro in college

Skooler
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm new to these forums so I don't if this is an obvious question
i was just wondering if a person playing on a college tennis team could compete in professional events such as challengers or atp tournies. Is it legal? Or does it violate the ncaa guidelines because you basically a professional athlete?

Swissv2
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
it is not legal.

10isDad
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
It is completely legal and happens all the time. I believe there are rules about playing during the actual college tennis season, but outside the season many college players try to qualify for futures/challengers. You just don't accept any prize money above and beyond your legitimate expenses for that tournament.

tacoben
08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
It is completely legal and happens all the time. I believe there are rules about playing during the actual college tennis season, but outside the season many college players try to qualify for futures/challengers. You just don't accept any prize money above and beyond your legitimate expenses for that tournament.

Is there a cap on expenses a player can claim?

10isDad
08-27-2008, 09:40 PM
From the NCAA Amateurism Guidelines:

Specified Actual and Necessary Expenses:
1. Meals and lodging directly tied to competition or practice held in preparation for
competition.
2. Apparel, equipment and supplies.
3. Coaching and instruction.
4. Health and medical insurance.
5. Transportation.
6. Medical treatment and physical therapy.
7. Facility usage.
8. Entry fees.
9. Other reasonable expenses incidental to participation.

Nanshiki
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Most college players would probably not earn enough to cover their expenses... except for a major (where you get several grand just for winning a few qualifying matches).

Julieta
08-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Make sure you when you sign in that you put yourself as an amateur. If you put P for professional you will be stuck forever in a sea of paperwork trying to prove the expense ratio.

Keep in mind that if a player is good enough to be playing in futures as well as on a college team, they are going to be played a lot by the college team. Adding pro stuff to this kind of schedule could be asking for trouble with injury/burnout. Probably a good idea is to only play a few events in the summer, maybe on clay and make sure to take some time off. So many people play way too much between the ages of 18-25 and are just done with tennis physically and mentally. If a player is planning a post college pro career then it is a good idea to get a few futures in now and then, but not go crazy with it.

johnkidd
09-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Check the draws from the Futures tournaments in the US from this past summer. It's loaded with guys who are playing college ball. There was also a group that was put together of the top US players to play these and gain experience.

bluescreen
10-04-2008, 06:50 AM
we played a team last year whose #1 had 2 atp points. from the info i gathered, he was allowed to play as long as he didnt accept prize money.

cujays
10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
we played a team last year whose #1 had 2 atp points. from the info i gathered, he was allowed to play as long as he didnt accept prize money.

what team was this?
what team do you play for?

MegacedU
10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
No once you sign yourself over to your college team, you're theirs until they say so. You give up all endorsements sponsorships, etc. and Basically promise you won't play for money.

MegacedU
10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Is there a cap on expenses a player can claim?

For certain things there is, DI women has a 20 dollar a day limit on food.