PDA

View Full Version : Metallica should retire.

Dilettante
08-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Seriously.

jmverdugo
08-28-2008, 05:02 AM
How dare you!!??:evil: .... Serioulsy, i know what you mean but generally speaking, music people do not retire they just die recording their last album, which of course they have been recording for 10 years before they pass away.:-|

albino smurf
08-28-2008, 05:27 AM
When they die recording their last record I will celebrate by uploading it to Limewire.

Tempest344
08-29-2008, 03:06 AM
why would one of the arguably most successful Heavy Metal bands retire?

Dilettante
08-29-2008, 03:34 AM
why would one of the arguably most successful Heavy Metal bands retire?

Because Wimbledon grass is slower?

Maybe I should hve titles the thread "Metallica are done".

My point is: Metallica are boring. They haven't got the fire any more.

Tempest344
08-29-2008, 03:45 AM
We'll see how the next album is first.....

I will add that I think Megadeth is doing better now than Metallica

grimmbomb21
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Because Wimbledon grass is slower?

Maybe I should hve titles the thread "Metallica are done".

My point is: Metallica are boring. They haven't got the fire any more.

It's hard to have the fire when life is good. I remember seeing a documentary on them some years back when everyone said they "sold out". One of the band members said they got tired of acting ****ed off all the time, because they really had no reason to be angry, and it became a lame act. At least they were honest about it.:mrgreen:

hollywood9826
08-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Plus the band is 25 years older than when they started. Nobody was saying this when the released the Black Album. Thats was the first sign of Metallica goin mad commercial.

The couple songs Ive heard off the first album are change from the previous 3 or 4 they have put out. But you got Kill em all, ride the lightning, Master of Puppets, And justice for all. Metallica set the bar too high, they have no chance of getting back to that sound.

They will still out every location when they tour and that record will still over a million copies (which is good sales in this day and age).

Muffin Man
08-31-2008, 08:33 AM
i think before they retire they should at least try a midplus guitar.

the 90 square inch is just way too "early 90's" for the way the kids thrash nowadays....or at least grow up and try some hybrid string jobs.

jmsx521
08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Metallica should take example from the electronic music industry: You take your best hits... Sandman... Master of puppets, etc., and you re-mix these songs, make them longer, make them jumpy, emphasize on the beat, and play them over and over at the concerts. Also, mix/blend the songs together, just like electronic music DJs do. Don't even bother new songs that are not hits right away.

adams_1
08-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Metallica should take example from the electronic music industry: You take your best hits... Sandman... Master of puppets, etc., and you re-mix these songs, make them longer, make them jumpy, emphasize on the beat, and play them over and over at the concerts. Also, mix/blend the songs together, just like electronic music DJs do. Don't even bother new songs that are not hits right away.

Erm... i'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I do hope you are.

jmsx521
09-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Erm... i'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I do hope you are.Ever been to a heavy metal concert? Notice what moves the crowds, what makes them jump and shake their heads (the up & down motion): It’s the opium of the steady beat and the repetitive rhythm. And you don’t even have to like it... it might be unpleasant or too harsh, but it’s a beat and it moves people because it’s repetitive. That same thing is what moves the crowds when a DJ is playing dance music as well. You can take that example even in the country-music stage; people seem to associate with repetitiveness very easy and start moving to-the-beat-of-the-music. As much as heavy metal, disco and country music don’t want to have anything in common with each other, the beat of the music unites them, as that’s what moves the crowds.

If you’ve also noticed, lately, the house & dance music industry & the DJs have been wiping all the old 70s & 80s hits off the old records and CDs… then, modernizing them by adding a steady beat. I am not exactly a heavy metal fan, but aren’t many heavy metal bands experimenting and adding electronics as well: Nu Metal!?

Now, I didn’t exactly mean for Metallica to remake their songs with a disco beat, but it only makes sense that a Metallica fan wants Metallica hits, not some new albums with ten new two-minute songs that no one will remember a week later. Take the old hits back to the studio and remix them… and stay original!

By coincidence, I watched the Metallica documentary, Some kind of a monster, few months ago too; they have some internal issues as well, and not all the guys are on the same chapter of how they should progress.

raiden031
09-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Maybe they should stop making music because the more crappy music they make, the more older songs will be removed from the setlist during concerts. I like all their music prior to St. Anger, which was complete crap. But I can't deny that after seeing probably aout 30+ bands perform live, nobody can generate the energy I get when watching metallica live. As long as they keep touring, I will be happy regardless of whether I listen to any more of their new music.

Tempest344
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Ever been to a heavy metal concert? Notice what moves the crowds, what makes them jump and shake their heads (the up & down motion): Itís the opium of the steady beat and the repetitive rhythm. And you donít even have to like it... it might be unpleasant or too harsh, but itís a beat and it moves people because itís repetitive. That same thing is what moves the crowds when a DJ is playing dance music as well. You can take that example even in the country-music stage; people seem to associate with repetitiveness very easy and start moving to-the-beat-of-the-music. As much as heavy metal, disco and country music donít want to have anything in common with each other, the beat of the music unites them, as thatís what moves the crowds.

If youíve also noticed, lately, the house & dance music industry & the DJs have been wiping all the old 70s & 80s hits off the old records and CDsÖ then, modernizing them by adding a steady beat. I am not exactly a heavy metal fan, but arenít many heavy metal bands experimenting and adding electronics as well: Nu Metal!?

Now, I didnít exactly mean for Metallica to remake their songs with a disco beat, but it only makes sense that a Metallica fan wants Metallica hits, not some new albums with ten new two-minute songs that no one will remember a week later. Take the old hits back to the studio and remix themÖ and stay original!

By coincidence, I watched the Metallica documentary, Some kind of a monster, few months ago too; they have some internal issues as well, and not all the guys are on the same chapter of how they should progress.

I would say Metallica should Remaster their Early Albums like Kill Em All, ...and Justice for all, both the albums have awful production
but not remix...in the eyes of metal fans that is even worse than when they "sold out" as some would say

Vincent Left
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I know this might be crazy for the majority, but anybody ever liked the St. Anger album? I personally like it, but seems nobody agrees.

To me St. Anger is just another new style of music Metallica developed throughout their music career. Yes they may sold out, and they may have different anger the one they had earlier. But they are being true to themselves, and they still have the anger, more twisted and grown than before.

And for the music itself, I feel it become even better arranged, which sounds like rage (or crap for most people), but still in perfect formation if you listen into it.

adams_1
09-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I am not exactly a heavy metal fan, but arenít many heavy metal bands experimenting and adding electronics as well: Nu Metal!?

Most metal fans hate nu metal. I guess it really depends on what they want to do - make another Black Album, and get massive sales and airplay, or make another Master, and deliver a thrash masterpiece. Hopefully it's closer to the latter.

Tempest344
09-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Most metal fans hate nu metal..
agreed
Nu Metal is not considered "True Metal" as diehard fans will tell you

Vincent Left
09-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe we should extend this discussion to somewhere like "metal should stay the same as it is for eternity, thus Metallica, who changed, and sold out, should retire"

Don't wanna go against anybody, but why not give the musicians some freedom to alter their style (or keep it)? Those of you who have seen the documentary film could recall the reasons, they don't wanna be the same as before, and they don't wanna follow the trend.

Once a friend, a very skillful music producer, told me that St. Anger album's trash, the drum beats go like punk metal, then I go "r u listening to the drums only or the whole masterpiece?" I don't label the music I hear, label's for categories in CD stores. I don't even wanna label them "metal" or "true metal", if there is any, they're from the audience, not the musicians.

I like it when they go into the St. Quentin prison, sign the paper that their lives not guaranteed, shoot the MV and played the show. I mean, they're human, they're not god, if you plug them into someplace too high, you won't be able to feel their soul.

Just personal ideas here, but would someone just drop the fixed concept of "True Metal" or whatever YOU wanna Metallica to be, open ur eyes and ears, observe how THEY themselves actually have been through, and BECOME?

Tempest344
09-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I know this might be crazy for the majority, but anybody ever liked the St. Anger album? I personally like it, but seems nobody agrees.

It was ok ...better than Reload or Load
I am waiting to see what the next one will be like though only a week or so until it is released

raiden031
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM

To me St. Anger is just another new style of music Metallica developed throughout their music career. Yes they may sold out, and they may have different anger the one they had earlier. But they are being true to themselves, and they still have the anger, more twisted and grown than before.

And for the music itself, I feel it become even better arranged, which sounds like rage (or crap for most people), but still in perfect formation if you listen into it.

I've never been one to say a band has sold out, and so my opinion is based on the quality of music alone. Metallica has been my favorite band since the black album came out (when I first discovered them). The problems I have with St. Anger are that the drums sound like paint cans, there are no solos, terribly boring riffs, guitar tone is lousy, the guitars are tuned too low, and there is no real melody in any of the songs. Hate to say it but I think James Hetfield is way too talented to write music like that. And why waste Kirk's talent on guitar and not have any lead guitar? I like how they evolved from the Kill Em All days to Reload, but then I heard St. Anger and couldn't believe it.

jmverdugo
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Honestly the last one i bought and really listen was the black album, the rest of them are just blury, i could recognize a song...

baek57
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
i don't think they realize how bad their new music is.

Vincent Left
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I've never been one to say a band has sold out, and so my opinion is based on the quality of music alone. Metallica has been my favorite band since the black album came out (when I first discovered them). The problems I have with St. Anger are that the drums sound like paint cans, there are no solos, terribly boring riffs, guitar tone is lousy, the guitars are tuned too low, and there is no real melody in any of the songs. Hate to say it but I think James Hetfield is way too talented to write music like that. And why waste Kirk's talent on guitar and not have any lead guitar? I like how they evolved from the Kill Em All days to Reload, but then I heard St. Anger and couldn't believe it.

Hi raiden, thanks for the comment

I favor them from the Black Album, too. St. Anger is something toally different from previous records, all the members were trying something new - which many old school fans won't accept.

I believe James was trying to make some diverse tone not only different from their own works before, but also those metal bands after them. For the lead guitar, Kirk said in the documentary film that he himself had been bored playing endless solo for too long.

I didn't noticed that the guitars were tuned too low, but e.g. in the song St. Anger it is a regular tunning except the 6th in D (I don't have access to the music right now in the office... maybe the whole set is lowed by 1-2 semitone, but it's alright), and by doing that u can just cover the lower strings and move fast through metal chords, Rammstein also do that, it's a common tuning. And to mention St. Anger, the rhythm in the intro is somewhere 1/16 or 1/32 beat away from the drum, which built the rage and techniquely quite tricky to play - u need to keep it steady and fast away from the drum, and put everything back in order in the later part of the song.

For the melody, they surely cannot do Nothing Else Matters again, it's totally different era, and their lives changed so much till now. IMO they don't care about melody, rhythm, style, or any elements we could use to interpret their music. Those Metallica guys just express whatever they had in their mind. The Unamed Feeling is my favorite in St. Anger album, the music is quite simple, even the lyrics, but the emotion were there, loud and clear, that's why I personally would say that St. Anger is a success. I'm not saying every song is perfect, none could do that in one album, even if this is possible, people won't all agree. As long as there's several great songs in it and the style is unique, it is a nice album to me.

btw, I don't like the DJ stuff either, never tried to listen, thought they're just fooling around, earning some extra cash before their next inspiration or so... ... who cares? If I could be a metal musician myself, I may write country music when I'm tired of release my anger for so many years, and getting old!

RanchDressing
09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Metallica is still very good musically.
I think Hetfeild should stop singing and have somone else sing or have some guest singer or somthing.

Aldi Patron
09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I think Hetfeild should stop singing and have somone else sing or have some guest singer or somthing.

^Come on now...

I saw the documentary on Metallica and Lars Ulrich was worried that putting a guitar solo into one of the songs would make it sound dated. Putting aside the contradiction in what he said, hearing Lars speak is one of the main reasons I can't stand that band now, even if he was a good junior tennis player.

Vincent Left
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM

That' s what exactly James wanted to do when forming the band, he was searching for a vocal so he can concentrate on guitar. That producer friend of mine comments that Kirk plays fast but just fast, while James has some emotion in his guitar.

If u pay attention to the mix of Metallica's early works, u'll find the vocal has too much delay/reverb. I'm not sure if that's all about mixing technology, but we could guess that maybe the delay/reverb were used to cover the shortage of singing. In later albums we don't find that, and somehow James sings better through all these years and developed his own style.

raiden031
09-05-2008, 03:05 AM
^Come on now...

I saw the documentary on Metallica and Lars Ulrich was worried that putting a guitar solo into one of the songs would make it sound dated. Putting aside the contradiction in what he said, hearing Lars speak is one of the main reasons I can't stand that band now, even if he was a good junior tennis player.

I just listened to Metallica's new single "The Day that never comes" from the new album Death Magnetic. I like it. Good guitar and melody and some fast guitar licks and soloing.

ClubHoUno
09-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I only know that Metallicas drummer is from Denmark and he was a hell of a tennis player and his father was too.

Besides that, I don't know anything about this band - but I definitely think Lars should retire and start playing tennis on the senior tour - he could beat them all whit his drumming sticks and 110 SQ" guitars :lol: