PDA

View Full Version : Sun Protective Clothing

larry10s
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
read with interest the thread on sunscreen and agree with broad spectrum spf 30 reapply every 2-3 hours etc. many good posts. would also reccommend for sun protection sun protective clothing. i use sundayafternoons.com mens white solar long sleeve polo http://www.sundayafternoons.com/?id=39599514946&d=single&item_id=MC-SP&c=Men's_Clothing&sc=Shirts&nr=&pc= and a white adventure hat. the material is designed to keep the uv out. a cotton tee shirt does not give much protection. the material of the shirt is very light feeling and wicks the moisture

ollinger
08-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Huh? Anyone ever get a sunburn through their shirt?

WildVolley
08-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Huh? Anyone ever get a sunburn through their shirt?

In my experience, most of the poly is surprisingly effective against the sun, even when wet and white. I have gotten a bit of a tan through a shirt that was mesh, though.

I know some companies are marketing a treatment to the poly which is said to absorb even more UV rays.

sn1974
08-28-2008, 08:12 AM
this is great. i'm still sceptical that it's not hot as hell tho.

and yes, you can get sun damage through your clothes, maybe not a sunburn tho. i just saw the dermatologist today and was asking him how to deal with being outdoors for hours in the sun (he said don't be out in the sun so much, thx). he also said he frequently sees muslim women who are fully veiled who still have sun damage. :shock:

WildVolley
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
At this point in history, some people are getting absurdly afraid of the sun, and think all sun exposure is bad for them.

Sunlight is the main way that most people get enough Vitamin D. Studies are implicating Vitamin D deficiency to a host of cancers and other diseases.

I try to get at least 15-minutes of sun exposure on my torso and legs daily during the summer and then cover up with clothing or sunscreen. During the winter, I supplement Vitamin D.

ollinger
08-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I think one can go further than necessary with this. The melanoma data, for example, suggest that sun exposure that does not lead to a "blistered sunburn" is likely not worth worrying about. Maybe the "sun damage" we're talking about here is merely cosmetic, but I'm not too concerned about cosmetics for the areas usually under my shirt.

sn1974
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
At this point in history, some people are getting absurdly afraid of the sun, and think all sun exposure is bad for them.

Sunlight is the main way that most people get enough Vitamin D. Studies are implicating Vitamin D deficiency to a host of cancers and other diseases.

I try to get at least 15-minutes of sun exposure on my torso and legs daily during the summer and then cover up with clothing or sunscreen. During the winter, I supplement Vitamin D.

sure, but 15 minutes a day is a lot different from a couple of hours in the middle of the day. if you live in the part of the world where the sun is strong and there is no winter and you happen to have light skin, it's a serious concern. and if you're an active person and you walk instead of driving and spend time outdoors regardless of where you are on the globe, trust me, you're in no risk of a vitamin D deficiency.

anyway i don't want to get skin cancer or look like a wrinkly old lady when i'm 40.

WildVolley
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
sure, but 15 minutes a day is a lot different from a couple of hours in the middle of the day. if you live in the part of the world where the sun is strong and there is no winter and you happen to have light skin, it's a serious concern. and if you're an active person and you walk instead of driving and spend time outdoors regardless of where you are on the globe, trust me, you're in no risk of a vitamin D deficiency.

anyway i don't want to get skin cancer or look like a wrinkly old lady when i'm 40.

If you are in Thailand, I understand your concern. In Southern California I see people who have fried themselves so often that their skin looks like leather at the age of 50.

However, you're simply wrong about much of the world and vitamin D. In most of Europe, it is essentially impossible to get vitamin D from the sun during winter, the latitude is simply too high. But you can still get sunburned.

I think that sun protective clothing and especially hats are a good idea. Most people get too much sun exposure on their faces and a hat certainly helps limit that exposure.

sn1974
08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
i didn't realize that about vitamin D, but i just read the study i think you were referring to. very interesting.