PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing bag

canadave
08-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some informed opinions on a choice of tennis bag. I live out in the sticks nowhere near a store where I can look at bags firsthand, and it's tough for me to return things to TW if I buy something, so I'd kind of like to get this choice right the first time :)

I need a bag that will fit two racquets, a water cooler jug (not a huge one, but something more than a simple bottle of water), a can of bug repellent spray, two cans of balls, my wallet and keys, and maybe a small towel.

I was thinking a 3-racquet bag would do me fine, but the water jug requirement might not work too well for that. Then I was looking at some 6-racquet bags, but I'm afraid that might be overkill and too big. Also, in those 6-racquet bags, could I "isolate" the water jug on its own, so that if it leaks or spills, absolutely nothing else gets wet?

I own Wilson racquets, so would prefer one of the red Wilson bags if possible, but am open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep the costs low if possible (around $50-$60 at most).

Thanks for your help everyone!

william7gr
08-28-2008, 06:43 AM
For only two racquets get a three racquet bag and carry your water jug separately. If the water spills the water will probably get everything wet.

Noisy Ninja
08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
This should meet all your requirements: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageBGWILSON-WKFED6.html
I've got the Super Six version and it is by far the sturdiest bag I've owned to date. Excellent quality of material and stitching at the price point and should easily last for years.
The regular Six racquet bag should be sufficient for your purposes; the thermal compartment can hold your 2 racquets and the moisture compartment can house your water jug. I know some people with the 6 racquet version and it's a nice size (definitely not overkill like my rocket launcher sized Super Six version).
Only negatives I've found is that the black colour heats up fast in the sun and I'm not a big fan of vinyl material as a material in portions of the bag. I cover my bag with a large towel when sitting in the sun and have gotten used to the vinyl material. If anything...I think it gets me some approving nods from the opposite sex for appearing kinda kinky... :P

canadave
08-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks guys.

NoisyNinja, do you happen to know if there's any significant differences between the "Pro Tour" and simply "Tour" versions of that bag you linked to? They look fairly identical to me...I'm not sure what major differences there are.

I had my eye already on the red version of that bag you pointed out, in the "Tour" version.

Noisy Ninja
08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys.

NoisyNinja, do you happen to know if there's any significant differences between the "Pro Tour" and simply "Tour" versions of that bag you linked to? They look fairly identical to me...I'm not sure what major differences there are.

I had my eye already on the red version of that bag you pointed out, in the "Tour" version.

When I bought my bag last year, I was told that the KPro Tour versions utilized thicker (i.e. more durable) materials , better stitching, sturdier zippers & straps compared to the Tour versions. The difference isn't very noticeable at first glance but you'll appreciate the sturdier build quality with time and usage. I previously owned a Pro Staff Super Six Tour bag and it showed a lot of wear and tear after 1.5 years of use. I anticipate the KPro Tour bag I have now should easily last twice as long.
I highly recommend paying a bit more and get the KPro Tour version.
And come to the dark side...get the black version...it's on sale... :)
Best of luck Canuck Dave!

canadave
08-28-2008, 07:39 AM
hehe....I'll stick with the red and white, sorry....goes better with my country's colours ;) Black is more appropriate for ninjas I think ;)

Anyway, thanks very much for the tips; I think you've sold me on the kPro model. The fact that I can put a water jug inside it, in isolation, is a big factor for me (I know, I could carry the jug separately, but the whole point of me getting a bag is to be able to carry everything together, not have hands full of various things).

canadave
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry to rehash this thread, but I just had one more question.....

Does anyone know if the kPro 6-racquet bag has a shoulder strap, or does it just have the backpack straps on the bottom? In the TW pics, the Tour version has the shoulder strap, but the Pro Tour version doesn't....I'm just not sure if there IS a strap supplied with the Pro Tour one, but it's maybe removable and not shown in the pic?

Thanks--
Dave

BCEagle01
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry to rehash this thread, but I just had one more question.....

Does anyone know if the kPro 6-racquet bag has a shoulder strap, or does it just have the backpack straps on the bottom? In the TW pics, the Tour version has the shoulder strap, but the Pro Tour version doesn't....I'm just not sure if there IS a strap supplied with the Pro Tour one, but it's maybe removable and not shown in the pic?

Thanks--
Dave

Just backpack straps on the KPro

AznRamenDude
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
See if you can find a Wilson Tour bag. Alot of bags that have the word Pro tends to have thermo guard or something of the sort with it. Get a 6 pack bag. Once you get it, you will realize that the 6 pack isnt all that big as you imagine. Plus the extra room helps out a lot for the buck.

canadave
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Well, I ordered the Pro Tour bag, and already I'm thinking I might regret it :)

For one thing, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll miss the shoulder strap. I initially thought it might be convenient not having it in the way, but I'm starting to think I might miss it.

And then a separate thought occurred to me. The bag has "MoistureGuard" on one side and "ThermoGuard" on the other, right? Well, I don't get it...are they equally good "technologies" at protecting your racquets? Is one better than the other? If so, why not use the "best" technology on both sides?

I'm starting to think I should've saved some bucks and just gone with the Tour version :(