PDA

View Full Version : Peter and Roger coincidence

sixthsense
02-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Hi All,

Well, I thought as my first post, I might as well make my first thread at the same time. two serves with one tennis ball :p

I've thought to myself pretty much when Roger first came onto the scene, how similar to Petes game his was, as well as to a lesser extent, the beginning of his service motion. And among other things, that I'm slowly finding out by sifting through this forum and resultant web pages!
I read somewhere in the threads that Roger has a custom made PS 6.0 original made with Wilson marketing cosmetics, not sure to the truth of that.
But I found it interesting I suppose, that they are/were able to dominate with a raquet model, that is over 20 years old now? (I wonder why Wilson, never continued to market the 6.0 original, with Petes success and all, and with how impressionable as fans can be)
I also noticed, that later on in Petes career and some other players, the 6.0 original they used, didnt have the orange outline around the frame, went to be more simple just black type thing, which the PS Tour came to look like, bar the colourful inside, perhaps the marketing ploy taking advantage of this?

But about the old model of the raquet, a good argument for those they complain about raquet technology taking the fun out of tennis (though that of course is probably another thread altogether!)

And as a personal rant, I havent had a chance to try out the 85, but have always been a fan of the 95, backhands felt incredibly sweet and the weight and feel of it.
Tried the PS tour, loved the feel, but just couldnt pass the playing test, as much as I did love the feel.
Yet to try the nCode tour.

finchy
02-01-2005, 12:40 PM
pete and probably several others used different versions of the 6.0. pete for example used the st. vincent prostaff.

and federer's and sampras's service motion are not very similar. pete does the thing where he points his front foot up to the sky and kind of does a rocking motion, putting weight on the balls of his feet, during the beginning of his serve motion. federer's on the other hand, he puts all of his weight on his front foot, leaving only the toe of his backfoot on the ground, bounces the ball a bit, brings ball and racquet together, and basically does the same as everyone elses serve.

btw, nothing beats a PS original feel. he uses a cutom made prostaff, which was probably made recently, making it rather modern. the thing is, that it is made from older materials used in some of the first graphite racquets. they (meaning the pros) like this original feel instead of stiffer frames with hypercarbon, liquidmetal, tripple threat, ect. and btw, its not the racquet that matters, its the player.

splink779
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
What is similar between Roger and Sampras game? They serve with their feet separated? They both were awesome tennis players? That's where it stops people. Learn to live with it.

Young Pete
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
To the newbie:

PLEASE READ THE ST. VINCENT STORY AND THE ORIGINS OF THE 6.0 ORIGINAL:

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE MAIN PAGE:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/60/60Review.html

you have to remember sampras have always used the original meaning the original st. vincent version of the 6.0. These are far more superior in all aspects than the current 6.0. Even the cosmetics are different. Please remember that a racquet company can slap any paint scheme they want on any racquet. but pete's racquet was the exception. His st. vincents are original color, paint scheme, logos.......

THE WILSON ENGINEERS (AT THAT TIME) AS WELL AS THE WORKERS AT THE ST. VINCENT FACTORY CREATED THE BEST RACQUET OF ALL TIME, EVEN IF ITS 20 YEARS OLD!!!!

sixthsense
02-02-2005, 05:19 AM
it appears become very technical when it comes to this raquet talk!