PDA

View Full Version : Joints Overuse in Sports v/s Workout

rk_sports
08-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm confused!..:confused:

If you are too active.. there is a chance of overuse of bones/joints resulting in long term damage..
With that premise, how come working out helps?.. isn't that a form of over usage of the bones/joints too?

netman
09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Not if you use commons sense and don't over do it. Strength is developed through progressive overloading of tissue. Pushing your muscles and connective tissue 1 or 2 reps past their failure point (using good form) will encourage tissue formation if you give them 48 hours to recover afterwards. Pushing them way past their failure point or failing to give them enough time for recovery will certainly lead to injury.

So doing a strenuous weight workout on a Monday, then playing 2-3 hours of hard tennis on Tuesday could easily lead to injury, particularly if you overstressed your legs or shoulder in the weight workout.

SystemicAnomaly
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Another difference between the joint actions for strength training and for sports is the number of repetitions involved. For many sports, the number of repeated actions for certain joints & joint muscles can be very high. If those actions rely too heavily on those specific joints & muscles, an over-use injury can result. Many sports actions should be multi-joint actions than do not rely on just one set of joints & muscles if performed correctly.

This is not to say that strength training cannot result in over-use injuries. Quite a few years back, I had developed tennis elbow in both arms -- primarily from overzealous weight training. It was worse in my racket arm due to tennis and, to a lesser degree, badminton. It was a matter of too much weight & too many reps before the joints & muscles really had time to develop.

Strength training (including weight training) usually require multiple repetitions but the benefits derived from those reps are often relatively low (compared to some sports actions). netman has made some excellent points about the way benefits should be derived from strength training.

When working certain joints in sports and with strength training, certain muscles might be over-used. The tendons that attach these muscles to the joints are often the weakest link and tendinitis can result from over-use actions. Note that strength training, done sensibly, should increase bone density, muscle strength, tendon strength, ligament strength, as well as improve joint function and other benefits.

rk_sports
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
...progressive overloading of tissue. Pushing your muscles and connective tissue 1 or 2 reps past their failure point (using good form) will encourage tissue formation if you give them 48 hours to recover afterwards..
So doing a strenuous weight workout on a Monday, then playing 2-3 hours of hard tennis on Tuesday could easily lead to injury, particularly if you overstressed your legs or shoulder in the weight workout.

What is the failure point? Is that when you feel the pain (say during lifting weights/reps)?

I play tennis Sun/morning, Tues/Thurs/evenings - what would you say are the best days to workout?

Another difference between the joint actions for strength training and for sports is the number of repetitions involved....
Note that strength training, done sensibly, should increase bone density, muscle strength, tendon strength, ligament strength, as well as improve joint function and other benefits.

What is the ideal workout?

netman
09-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Search on this forum. There are hundreds of good posts on working out, many with links to very good sites on proper technique and form.

albino smurf
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
active > inactive

ollinger
09-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Anomaly makes an important point about tennis elbow. TE is thought to be initiated by squeezing with the hand while the elbow is bent, the kind of thing some people do if their backhand form is not good, but it's also exactly what you're doing as you squeeze a dumbbell and do curls. My sole bout of tennis elbow came after a long bike ride, with my arms bent as I squeezed the handlebar.

SystemicAnomaly
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
What is the failure point? Is that when you feel the pain (say during lifting weights/reps)?

I play tennis Sun/morning, Tues/Thurs/evenings - what would you say are the best days to workout?

What is the ideal workout?

Here is something on training to muscle failure: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_to_failure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_to_failure)

Broad question -- Ideal workout in what respect?