PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my Shoulder

Daized
08-29-2008, 04:06 PM
So I guess I'll explain my story first.

Right now, I am about to turn 17 and I am a 4.0 player who is very close to a 4.5, but my serve is just destroying my game. At the beginning of the last summer before this one, I was finally getting my kick serve settled. I was very happy, and I continued to serve baskets and baskets. Unfortunately I was getting a pain in my arm that day and I later on found out I had tennis elbow. For the next half a year I would actually not serve a single ball due to too much pain, but I did continue to play despite that. During this time I made some changes to my game to recover my arm such as using a less extreme western forehand (It was almost at a hawaiian and I think this is what caused it in the first place), and a less extreme grip on my one handed backhand.

After this time I started to serve again because my tennis elbow was finally better. However I believe I lost quite a bit of flexibility with my shoulder and back. My serves lost a lot of pop, especially my first serve, and I just completely lost my consistency despite how many baskets I serve.

Now to even top that off, I have gained two pains in my shoulder over the last month that don't seem to go away. One is right below my neck on the right, and the other pain (The bigger one) is under my shoulder blade. It hurts really bad when I try to serve really hard (Especially when I hit a big kick serve and I contort my back) or if I try to throw a ball really far (Makes sense, it is the same motion as my serve). My coaches have already told me that I don't do anything too funky on my serve.

So my question is, could back flexibility play a role in why I am getting these pains and why I can't seem to develop my serve back to my serve of old?

netman
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Does the pain appear or increase when you raise your arm above shoulder height?

RanchDressing
09-03-2008, 03:46 PM
So I guess I'll explain my story first.

Right now, I am about to turn 17 and I am a 4.0 player who is very close to a 4.5, but my serve is just destroying my game. At the beginning of the last summer before this one, I was finally getting my kick serve settled. I was very happy, and I continued to serve baskets and baskets. Unfortunately I was getting a pain in my arm that day and I later on found out I had tennis elbow. For the next half a year I would actually not serve a single ball due to too much pain, but I did continue to play despite that. During this time I made some changes to my game to recover my arm such as using a less extreme western forehand (It was almost at a hawaiian and I think this is what caused it in the first place), and a less extreme grip on my one handed backhand.

After this time I started to serve again because my tennis elbow was finally better. However I believe I lost quite a bit of flexibility with my shoulder and back. My serves lost a lot of pop, especially my first serve, and I just completely lost my consistency despite how many baskets I serve.

Now to even top that off, I have gained two pains in my shoulder over the last month that don't seem to go away. One is right below my neck on the right, and the other pain (The bigger one) is under my shoulder blade. It hurts really bad when I try to serve really hard (Especially when I hit a big kick serve and I contort my back) or if I try to throw a ball really far (Makes sense, it is the same motion as my serve). My coaches have already told me that I don't do anything too funky on my serve.

So my question is, could back flexibility play a role in why I am getting these pains and why I can't seem to develop my serve back to my serve of old?

i suggest going to see a chiropractor if you have had pain for more than 1 month of RICE/non use (not playing)
You should see a chiropractor.
I think that they have many things they can do for you.
I have a feeling you may have torn a muscle in your back... or at least have a few micro tears.
i think i read that they inject steroids to help you heal quicker.

Donewithhead
09-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Or better yet, see a physiotherapist.

Rickson
09-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Put ice on that shoulder.

Daized
09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Does the pain appear or increase when you raise your arm above shoulder height?

It appears when I move my arm in a circle or move my elbow behind my back. It increases if I actually throw a ball or serve. If I had to describe the pain, it feels sharp and like I am stretching my muscle too far.

Perhaps I will see a physiotherapist or the likes.

ATIRagePro
09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Seems like something that happened to me. It might be a simple case of stage 1 shoulder impingement syndrome. It's from overuse of the shoulder. I have the same exact situation and been playing the exact same amount of time. All you really have to do is google up the syndrome and it'll give you some rehab you can do at home. Also, maybe take some ibuprofen to ease the pain and also it could help with any inflammation that may be in the shoulder. I actually just came back from my appointment with the doctor today. So check out that syndrome if it matches you.

ATIRagePro
09-05-2008, 06:19 PM
To follow up on my last post, I found a great site to read: http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/fongemie.html . Hope this helps

Daized
09-09-2008, 07:23 PM
To follow up on my last post, I found a great site to read: http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/fongemie.html . Hope this helps

Thank you very much, I read over it and this condition sounds VERY similar to what I have at the moment. Going to try some of the phyical therapy suggested and see if it gets better.