PDA

View Full Version : where do they get those reports?

heycal
08-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Where do pro tournaments get their detailed knowledge of the weather forecast, where they feel confident saying "it's going to rain for another half hour and then stop completely", or "there will be only 15 minute showers tonight"?

I'd like to get the same kind of specifics. But all the weather sites I know online like accuweather, weather.com, National Weather Service, don't offer up that level of detail, nor are constantly updating things by the minute.

Feņa14
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
That's a good question. I was at Wimbledon this year and the man on the tannoy predicted 2 short showers and it would stop at around 4.17. He was pretty much spot on to the exact minute.

I suppose they just have very good connections with the weather forecasters and can get up to the minute maps and expert opinions to get it right.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-29-2008, 05:10 PM
They probably have a forecaster in the tournament guessing when rain will strike.

ollinger
08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
At the Open they get very detailed weather from the tower at LaGuardia, which has access to the best information, as you'd imagine.

heycal
08-29-2008, 05:42 PM
At the Open they get very detailed weather from the tower at LaGuardia, which has access to the best information, as you'd imagine.

I could see that. But I don't understand why in this day of internet and information explosion the rest of us can't easily get the same detailed info on some website.

ollinger
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe they don't want us to have it. I can imagine a mob of business travelers with their laptops screaming at the JetBlue guy at the gate about what they just saw online.

CanadianChic
08-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I can only speak for the weather channel I follow which is The Weather Network and it offers satellite maps of the clouds, precipitation, etc., as well as offers wind speed and direction. Given these factors, one need only do the math to determine when the weather of concern will pass (and to those who are too lazy to do the math, they simply need to watch the progression of the storm via the maps and read the provided data). NEXT!!! :)

LuckyR
08-31-2008, 05:36 PM
I could see that. But I don't understand why in this day of internet and information explosion the rest of us can't easily get the same detailed info on some website.

It is pretty easy, actually if you live in an area that has doppler radar. Just look up the time lapse of the rainfall up wind of where you are located on your phone. Eyeball the size of the storm and calculate the speed. Bingo you too are now a meteorologist!