PDA

View Full Version : applying leather grip

Drewwonu
08-29-2008, 07:37 PM
How do you apply a leather grip? The back is not sticky or tacky, so without that wont it move? If it matters its the klippermate leather grip.

Sixpointone
08-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Drew,

Your best bet would be using Double Sided Tape as a backing on the Grip.

Hope that helps,
John

Drewwonu
08-29-2008, 07:50 PM
i wish the manufacturer would have told me this ahead of time... im kind of mad now...

diredesire
08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Many, many leather grips don't come with an adhesive backing, so you shoudln't be tooooo mad ;)

As far as applying the grip, you can use some double sided tape up the handle, but it isn't necessary. Wrap it tight and it shouldn't budge on you.

If possible, tacking (stapling) the tip/end of the grip at the bottom of the racquet handle helps tremendously for leather grips. If you do not have access to a tiny nail or staple gun, you can use some strong double sided tape at the buttcap to get you started. If you have no access to double sided tape, use a small piece of electrical tape/duct tape to tape the very end of the grip down and wrap it from there. It's a hacky method, but it will work if you work slowly and get some good tension.

Cliff notes: approved method: Staple the end
Bonus: Double sided tape

No staple gun? Hack the grip on with double sided tape or duct tape.

2nd_Serve
08-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Add a staple in the beginning. Then, just wrap it around tightly. Should work.

Loco4Tennis
08-31-2008, 04:04 AM
what about just applaying the leather grip ontop of a tacky overgrip? that should give you enough tackiness to hold the leather in place,
the grip size might increase 1/16" more, but its not too bad,, might actually feel good to some

Cruzer
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
How do you apply a leather grip? The back is not sticky or tacky, so without that wont it move? If it matters its the klippermate leather grip.

I have only used double sided tape when putting on my Fairway leather grips and it works very well. Absolutely no grip slippage. Some posters on these boards are big proponents of using a staple at the bottom of the racquet however I have never found it necessary. The staple method certainly works however I am not a fan of putting more holes in the butt of the racquet. You can try the double sided tape only method first and if that does not work try stapling the grip. The biggest downside to the stapling method is finding someone who has appropriate staple gun. It is not worth buying a staple gun just to staple one grip now and maybe a couple more later.