PDA

View Full Version : I Hit With Roddicks Actual Racquet!!

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 04:15 AM
Yes, believe it. Family friends of ours (who are very well connected in the tennis world) have an actual Andy Roddick racquet. They aquired it when Roddick lost to Kohlschrieber at the AO 2008. It is in perfect condition, with Hurricane Tour 1.30 mm in the mains and vs touch 1.30 mm in the crosses and although the tension may have dropped, it is still very tight. It has 4 strips of lead at 3 and 9 and i would guess some extra weight in the handle (he asked me not to take the overgrip the whole way off <there son is only 8, and its his>). The cortex is painted on, and the grip size is 4 1/2, with a synthetic undergrip. I hit with it for about 20 minutes (I had jeans and slip ons on) but it plays very very nice. If any one has any questions I will happily answer them, and i will be posting some pics up when i get home.

all the best,

Pricey:)

chris1992
08-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Awesome - whats the weight of the racket compared to the stock babolat pure drives???????

And secondly - does it have andy roddick engraved on it lol...

Satch
08-30-2008, 04:41 AM
what is the weight and balance.

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Awesome - whats the weight of the racket compared to the stock babolat pure drives???????

And secondly - does it have andy roddick engraved on it lol...

hey chris

to answer your first question- it definetly felt heavier than a normal pure drive roddick +, but not significantly heavier

and no it had a code inside the throat, but not andy roddick :)

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 05:12 AM
what is the weight and balance.

hey mate.
sorry they had nothing to measure the weight and balance.
i think it would be around 10-15 grams heavier than a stock pure drive roddick +, and i have no idea about the balance.

hope this helps

____
08-30-2008, 05:17 AM
--------->any pics?

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 05:44 AM
here we go boys and girls
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008138.jpg
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008142-1.jpg
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008158.jpg
the code reads 1/16 63
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008152.jpg

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 05:45 AM
few more
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008153.jpg
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008159.jpg
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008162.jpg
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/pricey_aus/30082008164.jpg

h7hugo
08-30-2008, 07:24 AM
thanks for the pics :P

smashattack
08-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Could you weigh it on some scales?

rommil
08-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Yes, believe it. Family friends of ours (who are very well connected in the tennis world) have an actual Andy Roddick racquet. They aquired it when Roddick lost to Kohlschrieber at the AO 2008. It is in perfect condition, with Hurricane Tour 1.30 mm in the mains and vs touch 1.30 mm in the crosses and although the tension may have dropped, it is still very tight. It has 4 strips of lead at 3 and 9 and i would guess some extra weight in the handle (he asked me not to take the overgrip the whole way off <there son is only 8, and its his>). The cortex is painted on, and the grip size is 4 1/2, with a synthetic undergrip. I hit with it for about 20 minutes (I had jeans and slip ons on) but it plays very very nice. If any one has any questions I will happily answer them, and i will be posting some pics up when i get home.

all the best,

How has it affected your volleys?

Fedace
08-30-2008, 08:12 AM
AWSOME JOB. It is people like you that gives good name to this forum. IF Cortex painted on then is it pretty his OLD Pure Drive Plus that he used to use ?? Does it feel heavy when you swing ?
4 1/2 sounds small for such a big guy like Roddick.

Leelord337
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
i actually got gulbis racquet (unfortunately broken) at the mens claycourt champs this year and it was also a 4 1/2 grip size.

Richie Rich
08-30-2008, 08:39 AM

and does it make you hit your slice b/h approaches cross court only??? :lol:

rosen88
08-30-2008, 11:16 AM
^^^^^ Really funny dude!

LafayetteHitter
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Just curious, since the Roddick version available at retail is a different mold than the Pure Drive Team would you happen to know if it is based on the Roddick frame mold or the original PD Team mold?

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Nice! Were you serving bombs with it?
hey, yeah i was trying to, it does have a hell of alot of pop, and i served only about 20 serves
Could you weigh it on some scales?
like i said man, i didn't think of it at the time, but it wasn't alot heavier than the stock pure drive roddick +
hey, suprisingly i didn't volley to bad (for about the 2 minutes that i volleyed).
its got alot of power, so you cant swing or else it flys long
AWSOME JOB. It is people like you that gives good name to this forum. IF Cortex painted on then is it pretty his OLD Pure Drive Plus that he used to use ?? Does it feel heavy when you swing ?
hey fedace, thanks man. yes the cortex was painted and i do believe its paintjob of his old pure drive +. it's not overly heavy, but it definetly has more weight than a normal roddick+ (sorry i couldn't weight it)
Just curious, since the Roddick version available at retail is a different mold than the Pure Drive Team would you happen to know if it is based on the Roddick frame mold or the original PD Team mold?
Hey Lafayette, I think it felt pretty similar to a normal roddick +, but i have no experience with the previous pure drive. of course it was leaded up, but i think the mold is pretty much a pure drive roddick + without cortex.

there son actually offered it to me to hit with it for a week, but i declined. I know i should have taken it, but its his pride and joy, and me taking it would have been slack.....

hoodjem
08-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Gee, I must be doing something right: the lead tape on Roddick's racquet looks just like mine.

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Gee, I must be doing something right: the lead tape on Roddick's racquet looks just like mine.

what tension do you string yours up at? these felt unbelievably tight, and even though it has been over 6 months since they where strung, i'd guess they were high 60's

RoddickistheMan
08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
just by the feel of it was it head heavy or head light.

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
just by the feel of it was it head heavy or head light.

just by feel i would say it was head heavy. I'm really sorry everyone!! i shoulda weighed it and stuff!

Also, I have got a question. On the inside of the throat it said on a sticker
1/16 63
does anyone know what this might mean?

J011yroger
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
It was strung on Jan 16th, at 63lbs.

J

Raymond089
08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Hello pricey,

i live in Australia as well, can you please send me an email of where abouts you live in Melbourne (suburb) so that maybe one day i can go and have a look at the racquet?

Thanks,

my email is raymondle89@msn.com

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 07:08 PM
hey raymond
its not actually mine
its familys friends of ours sons.
we hadn't seen them in about 2 years and yeah...they have it.
sorry buddy

Nanshiki
08-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Doesn't the PDR+ have a narrower throat than that?

That one looks like it's almost the same width as the rest of the frame...

Even as a Roddick fan, I chose the PDR+ as my favorite only after trying about 10 other racquets... I just don't have the money to buy one...lol

Mansewerz
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Nice, i've heard Roddick uses a Babolat PD team leaded up.

Is VS touch a natty gut? What's the difference between it and VS team?

Cup8489
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice, i've heard Roddick uses a Babolat PD team leaded up.

Is VS touch a natty gut? What's the difference between it and VS team?

yes.

to the OP

if you end up seeing them again anytime soon, take a letter scale and get us the weight of it

and, if you've got time, make (or even buy) a balance board and take it with you.

did the swingweight seem way up there?

is that tournagrip for sure as well? looks like xxl.

Mansewerz
08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
whats the difference between team and touch?

pricey_aus
08-30-2008, 09:10 PM
yes.

to the OP

if you end up seeing them again anytime soon, take a letter scale and get us the weight of it

and, if you've got time, make (or even buy) a balance board and take it with you.

did the swingweight seem way up there?

is that tournagrip for sure as well? looks like xxl.

hey mate

ill try. like i said, the weight isn overly different i believe from a regular pure drive roddick +, and i have no idea on the balance.
And YES, he grips his racquet so far up! i dont know if you can judge from the picture but he grips it past the undergrip, so its really thin up the top.

hope this helps,

pricey

2nd_Serve
08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Man that's a bad paintjob. They painted the cortex system thing over Babolat.

urbo73
09-01-2008, 07:13 AM
whats the difference between team and touch?

Touch = 16g
Team = 17g

zidane339
09-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Thats how it looks witht the real cortex too., I believe

Bundey
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM

It does that on a real PD.

bottotay
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
who makes the over grip that is on that racquet and see so many pros using?

Tennisguy777
09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
who makes the over grip that is on that racquet and see so many pros using?

It's called Tourna grip and it is made by Unique!

Richie Rich
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM

hell, just put it on a desk/table edge and measure the point where the racquet tips. it's rough measurement but better than nothing.

my guess is it's still HL balance and weighs about 12.5 oz strung. i don't think roddick is known for using an extremely heavy racquet

sureshs
09-02-2008, 01:17 PM
hey mate.
sorry they had nothing to measure the weight and balance.
i think it would be around 10-15 grams heavier than a stock pure drive roddick +, and i have no idea about the balance.

hope this helps

You don't need anything other than a ruler or tape to measure the balance. Find the CG by balancing the racquet on your left and right forefingers, starting with the left finger near the head and the right near the handle. Move them closer till they meet. That is the CG. Now measure the distance from there to the bottom of the handle.

featherlight
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Does the roddick racket have the tourna grip red finishing tape because i seen some pros who use tourna grip but does not use the red finishing tape

Emimem
09-06-2008, 03:09 AM

all the best,

Good for you:).

Eph
09-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Is the "code" a white sticker with words in black? If so, that's Roman writing what day it was strung and the string weight.

jeremy734
09-12-2008, 05:36 AM
so he doesnt use cortex. lol same as rafa

Nanshiki
09-12-2008, 07:20 AM
That's because he's not really using the current Pure Drive. He's probably using a customized Pure Drive Team, or maybe an even older version.

J011yroger
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Is the "code" a white sticker with words in black? If so, that's Roman writing what day it was strung and the string weight.

It was strung on Jan 16th, at 63lbs.

J

I answered the question 2 weeks ago.

Get with the program junior. ;)

J

Gorecki
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
did anyone notice how skewed that pjed cortex is... couldnt they make it more precise?

AznRamenDude
09-12-2008, 10:45 PM
did anyone notice how skewed that pjed cortex is... couldnt they make it more precise?

well no one would notice that when he is swinging the racquet at a pro speed, running around, and the nearest spectator is the ball boy like 25 ft away. :)

All i can say is, i wish i was the OP

Gorecki
09-13-2008, 04:38 AM
well no one would notice that when he is swinging the racquet at a pro speed, running around, and the nearest spectator is the ball boy like 25 ft away. :)

All i can say is, i wish i was the OP

just thought that if you do it, might as well do it properly no?

Eph
09-13-2008, 04:42 AM
I answered the question 2 weeks ago.

Get with the program junior. ;)

J

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until afterwards as it was on page 2.

J011yroger
09-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Sorry, I didn't see your reply until afterwards as it was on page 2.

No worries, just bustin your horns.

J

pricey_aus
09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
hey everyone,

I'm away at the moment on a tennis trip, and still going to be away for about 4 more weeks. Once i get home though, we'll probably get over to their house and i can get the balance ect. Is there any other angles you want me to get?
all the best

Pricey

cheny89
09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
is he using the woofer system grommet???

you can tell the diff if u have seen the stock pure drives grommet.

and is it 27.5 inches????

Ross K
10-11-2008, 12:02 AM
pricey, everyone,

Wo - great thread this (which I've only just come across)! Firstly, I just wondered if there was any follow up info. Plus also, I'm v/curious re the following...

. Anyone have any idea - or care to make an educated guess - on approximately how much lead tape ARod has at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions as well as on/in the grip?

. Why does ARod put lead at 3 and 9 and not 2 and 11 (as a pro recently advised me)?

. How exactly do ppl imagine ARod would put the lead on in the grip?... inside it?... evenly spread around it?... like at the top of the handle?... only at the very bottom?...

. How would your average intermediate level player find ARod's frame performed in his/her hands?... uncontrollable rocket launcher?... very smooth with loads more feel and bite than one would normally associate with a PD+?... what?

Cheers - and do keep us updated pricey because this is v/interesting to quite a few of us I think,

R.

nik_893
10-11-2008, 03:46 AM
this shows how useless the cortex is, none of the pros even use it.

FedererForehand
10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
this shows how useless the cortex is, none of the pros even use it.

No- cortex serves its purpose- it just shows that most pros prefer the feel of non-cortex frames. Personal preference- that's all.

Ross K
10-13-2008, 02:12 AM
pricey, everyone,

Wo - great thread this (which I've only just come across)! Firstly, I just wondered if there was any follow up info. Plus also, I'm v/curious re the following...

. Anyone have any idea - or care to make an educated guess - on approximately how much lead tape ARod has at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions as well as on/in the grip?

. Why does ARod put lead at 3 and 9 and not 2 and 11 (as a pro recently advised me)?

. How exactly do ppl imagine ARod would put the lead on in the grip?... inside it?... evenly spread around it?... like at the top of the handle?... only at the very bottom?...

. How would your average intermediate level player find ARod's frame performed in his/her hands?... uncontrollable rocket launcher?... very smooth with loads more feel and bite than one would normally associate with a PD+?... what?

Cheers - and do keep us updated pricey because this is v/interesting to quite a few of us I think,

R.

Another Q (hopefully someone can have a go at answering these? :-? )...

. From what I understand from these boards, ARod almost certainly plays with the PD+, but is that the team version (2003, I think it came out.) Or is it a different iteration (ie, an earlier version of the latter?) Or something very different and older altogether (and possibly without the Woofer system)?

Thanks

R.

Dave M
10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Another Q (hopefully someone can have a go at answering these? :-? )...

. From what I understand from these boards, ARod almost certainly plays with the PD+, but is that the team version (2003, I think it came out.) Or is it a different iteration (ie, an earlier version of the latter?) Or something very different and older altogether (and possibly without the Woofer system)?

Thanks

R.

The woofer technology has been on the frames since before they added the "team" to the second gen swirly pattern. The "swirly" racquet design PD was sold from 98-99 (memory fails me i'm afraid) i think the "team" was added a couple of years later (2001? sure someone else will know for sure).I doubt Roddick is using the first generation just from the stories of how and when he was intro'd to them as a junior, i assume they'd of just given him a stock frame from then and he's probably still using them like that now.(though customised i dont think he uses a stock frame obviously)

Bagdatis toy hippo
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Roddick can...ahem...die in a fire.

fluffy Beaver
10-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Whether you like a pro player or not,

wishing death upon anyone is not very funny.

So you can....ahem...die in a fire feel good to you? Probably not.

Ross K
10-14-2008, 03:38 AM
The woofer technology has been on the frames since before they added the "team" to the second gen swirly pattern. The "swirly" racquet design PD was sold from 98-99 (memory fails me i'm afraid) i think the "team" was added a couple of years later (2001? sure someone else will know for sure).I doubt Roddick is using the first generation just from the stories of how and when he was intro'd to them as a junior, i assume they'd of just given him a stock frame from then and he's probably still using them like that now.(though customised i dont think he uses a stock frame obviously)
Dave,

Thanks for response.

Bagdatis,

why the hell are you saying that comment about dieing in a fire??? :confused:

Everyone,

For the last time, if anyone could have a go at answering these I'd really appreciate it.

R.

SCSI
10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I strung Roddick's racket about a month ago at a local charity event. Though I didn't weigh his racket or anything, here is my take on it. FYI, I use MG Prestige Mid.

First, it had head-light balance for sure. Second, it was only slightly heavier than my racket and I would guess it weighed about 12.4 oz. I also strung James Blake's racket at the same event and his was a little heavier than Roddick's.

SCSI
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Looking at my log, Roddick wanted his racket strung at 64 lb for both main and cross. Blake wanted his strung at 68 lb. FYI, it was done on a Babolat (constant pulling) machine. Interestingly, both of them wanted them strung much tigher a couple of years ago in the same event, though Blake had a different frame this time around.

Ross K
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
V/interesting SCSI... and at around 12.04 oz - although we don't seem to know quite how much and precisely where - that's obviously a fair amount of lead, though not a huge amount. Thanks for that... and please do post up any other info you might think ppl would be interested in.

forehand2theface
10-16-2008, 11:44 AM
is that really necessary?

oh, and the thing with cortex, i bet a kid who is using a cortex model now and is gonna turn pro would use the cortex model, just painted to look like the latest and greatest in 10 years

southpaw101
12-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Pricey Ausey did you ever weigh that racket it? I'm really curious about what it weights.

xusu
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
i also had roddick's racket when i was in China.
the racket is head heavy when it come out from the factory ,it's #2(which i am sure roddick will get his handles custom molded by PRO ROOM),no spec printed on frame ,cortex painjob
i bought this brand new roddick's racket for 800RMB from a buddy of mine who has a kind of special relationship with the factory:)

NickC
12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
The pro at the retirement community where my grandparents live in Florida has Roddick's racquet from the year he turned pro. He knew one of Roddick's practice partners from his junior days and he got hooked up with the frame. No strings are in the frame, but there is a good amount of led tape at the 3/9 positions. The frame has no woofers, it is the original pure drive 2nd gen (with the swirly paintjob), and I think it has a bit more led in the handle and in the head. The handle feels like it's in between 4 1/2 and 4 5/8 and it's wrapped with the original tournagrip. That's all I know.

southpaw101
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
But does anyone have the weight?

Jonnyf
12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
But does anyone have the weight?

When Roddick first came onto the tour his pd+ was 310g unstrung.

davydenko_fan
12-21-2008, 01:16 PM
good lord the grip looks long as hell!

southpaw101
12-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Does anyone know of the weight now from what I am hearing from this thread is that it is heavier than a PDR + meaning it is heavier than 310 g

Jonnyf
12-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Does anyone know of the weight now from what I am hearing from this thread is that it is heavier than a PDR + meaning it is heavier than 310 g

It is these days, I believe it was from about 2004 or 2005 onwards that the weight gradually increased. It was, however, 310g and (I'll try find the balance it's written down somewhere)

Bolivian Ace
12-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Does any pro actually use CORTEX????

NickC
12-22-2008, 08:18 AM

No. (10chars)

smack that
07-27-2009, 06:10 PM

yes 10 chars

FedererForehand
07-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Wow... way to dig up an old thread...

Commando Tennis Shorts
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM

If by his OLD pure drive, you mean the one he's been using for several, several years, then yes.